0-60 times in wet

Started by northernalex, January 7, 2007, 17:07

northernalex

i should be able to work out the equations to change from speed, distance and time to bhp... (if you have the car mass, and wheel diameter) although my maths may be an over simplification.
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

muffdan

you're right, it would need to know gear ratios and when you change gear alo but it could create a torque/bhp curve. Simplifying it you could just run the car in 3rd/4th from 1500 rpm up to 7k. Wind resistance will have a big effect on the results though (that's a set of maths I don't want to get into, any volunteers?)

Having said that, it could be simulated easily by adding a multiplier to the torque based on speed. This multiplier/speed mapping could be generated by using the results from a car run on a dyno, and comparing to the results from the GPS software. This of course would only give accurate mapping for wind resistance for MR2s.

It could also automatically start the timing when you pull, removing the need for you to simultaneously hit the "start timer" button whist you're trying to get that perfect start! There are issues there too; I don't know how much fluctuation on your position you will get from the GPS device while you're standing still, I'd be very surprised if it reads perfectly stationary.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Anonymous

im just going to use my fingers and count !!!!

rtbiscuit

i used to do that with my mums old metro,

it was so slow that i needed to take my shoes and socks off to be able to count its 0-60!
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

ChrisGB

Traction wise, I found the '2 to get a bit fiesty on a handling day down one of the straights in the wet. Cosistently getting snaked around by the diff at around 50 mph in second gear. Only had it happen once on the road though, standing water, so was expecting it.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

philster_d

My laptop can measure it along with the odbc bluetooth port I have purchased (or with a pocket pc).

northernalex

this looks ok

m http://www.youpriceit.co.uk/pages/store ... item_name= m <a%20href=pages/store_item_detail.asp?item_id=260&item_name=Auto_Meter_D-Pic_Performance_Gauge_4380_Black>Auto%20Meter%20D-Pic%20Performance%20Gauge%204380%20Black</a>
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

philster_d

I have a gtech as well from that link   s:) :) s:)  

I brought this, after borrowing Tommy's once.

m http://www.car-pal.net/ m

northernalex

car pal looks good and is definatly smaller than by odb2 connection thingy, great for storing information from the ecu, but I'm not that sure of the 0-60 time accuracy of the odb2

What do/did you think of the g-tech?

vulture more, wanna sell, mode ended  s:) :) s:)
evileye_xc said:

Anonymous

I time mine using a friend and a stopwatch.

Calibrate the speedo using a GPS (Hold the GPS speed at a dead 60mph for a few seconds and read off the corresponding speedo reading - 64.5mph on mine)

Then floor it from standing while timing with a stopwatch to the "calibrated 60mph

OK - Can never be 100% accurate but gives a bullpark.

I can get 7.3sec but I'm lousy at launching which is where most of a good 0-60 run is at (driver, not car)

philster_d

Quote from: "northernalex"but I'm not that sure of the 0-60 time accuracy of the odb2

Why ?

is there not 4 pulses per revolution of the wheel ? so you will be stopped at 0secs. Time is a constant so thats not a problem.  by the end of 60mph i imagine the speed measurement will be very accurate.

Quote from: "northernalex"What do/did you think of the g-tech?

Hardly used to be honest, I brought it when I had the tubby, I tried a few times to have a play with it but it tends to move too easily rendering the tests invalid/inacurate.

northernalex

regarding 4 pulses per rev.. i didnt know that.. I was assuming the 10% error in the speedo is similar at the odb2 (ecu).  I'm not sure about this.
If this is the case then the 0-60 time i measured with phil is reasonably accurate.
evileye_xc said:

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "northernalex"regarding 4 pulses per rev.. i didnt know that.. I was assuming the 10% error in the speedo is similar at the odb2 (ecu).  I'm not sure about this.
If this is the case then the 0-60 time i measured with phil is reasonably accurate.

Given that is the case I believe my failing on our timings could well have been lifting off the gas pedal too soon. like when it hit 60 on the speedo.

Therefore, if I keep my foot down thru 60 the obd2 will read it more accurately than speedo and I should be able to shave something decent off my time.

Alex, what you doing sunday? all we need is a straight, dry road   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Anonymous

Quote from: "spit"Here's a high-end all-in kit. £250 + VAT

Wonder if you can get software for Windows Pocket PC to go with a satnav GPS receiver? If anyone finds something, let me know  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Something like this?

spit

Quote from: "Moleshome"Something like this?

Ooooo, cracking find!  s:P :P s:P
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

northernalex

Quote from: "spit"
Quote from: "Moleshome"Something like this?

Ooooo, cracking find!  s:P :P s:P

ditto, hats off to that man!
evileye_xc said:

Anonymous

Excellent  s:D :D s:D   s:D :D s:D  !!!

- I would plug it into my PDA & have a go with the demo version now but I don't have a PC to run a .exe file   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

spit

I'm struggling with the zips within zips within zips concept, but I'll get my IT technician onto it .....

*shouts ....... Nic!*

Anonymous

If anyone finds that when they run the .exe file it produces some .cab files can someone please let me know/email me them so I can put them onto my PDA via my mac.

Some fellow geek might know what I'm talking about.  s:D :D s:D

philster_d

What would be realy interesting is comparitive times with and without hardtop.

I wonder if you loose in weight what you gain in aerodynamics,

aaronjb

Aw, it won't run on my ancient iPaq 39xx because I'm still running PocketPC 2002  s:( :( s:(
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Did anyone go to the purchase page? Club discount of 10 copies with updates for £79.99.

spit

Still fighting with the demo install to see if it works. TomTom on the phone can be temperamental - I expect this to be the same  s:? :? s:?

edward.carter

going to try the demo at lunch time, but if it works im in on the group buy that would be cool, when i first read your post i thought it was 80 each not 80 for all 10 thats a bargain!!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

muffdan

just finished a beta version of my GPS speedo app, all I got to do is create a friendly installer for it and also compile it for Windows Mobile 2002 so people with older devices can run it.

There are accuracy issues. Although the speed read from the gps device is highly accurate, the rate at which you get this data is not often (just under a second). Because of this, I've added maths that will detect when you are over 60mph, and make an educated guess at when in the last second you actually hit 60.

Anyone interested in beta testing this for me, send me a PM with email address and I'll send you the software some time today. I'd also be interested in feedback on additional features or adjustments and bugs of course.

It's very straight forward to use. You have to select a comm port to use from the 8 available but of course it has to be the right one. Anyone with tomtom installed wil know what their comm port is. My XDA IIs uses comm 6.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Tags: