tte turbo boost

Started by firepower, January 8, 2007, 22:44

firepower

just a thought , if the tte turbo uses a piggy back ecu could this be mapped to give more performance or do sp do the best map available   s:?: :?: s:?:   if this can be done could explain why my dyno at hypersports only give 173bhp as sp did not seem to map my car when the turbo was fitted .
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft
1/4 mile 14.6 s @ 90 .55 mph  ( at drag strip )

Liz

I thought that the ECU was sealed by TTE in order that it could not be tampered with? The SP240 on the other hand has a different ECU which CAN be tuned!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

firepower

it prob is liz just me thinking , i would like to increase the bhp a little bit as when my car was dyno'd at hypersport it was 173 bhp and other tte turbo's  give nearer 200 bhp like yours liz .
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft

aaronjb

TTE ECU is sealed and non-tunable, however the turbos do seem to get fitted with varying levels of boost - IIRC Liz was close to 10psi, perhaps yours is lower.  Obviously the TTE ECU will have a limited range for which it can accurately fuel - as will the rest of the fuelling system, so you can't just turn up the boost unless you know you are within those limits..

Don't forget that others may have the detcat pipe in place, which will free up a reasonable amount of horsepower, and/or different exhaust options which will all perform differently.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Liz

Hmm, it does seem strange - you have the same set up as me, the Turbo - the exhaust and the downpipe, I have a Markiii pipe as well which I am told that I should not have  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  and the TRD air filter - when did you have yours dyno'd?

Quote from: "aaronjb"Don't forget that others may have the detcat pipe in place, which will free up a reasonable amount of horsepower, and/or different exhaust options which will all perform differently.

According to his signature he has the decat pipe.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

aaronjb

Oops, Aaron did not read signature   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  Aaron has the dumb, this morning.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

evileye_wrx

Is it not true tho that Dyno's are vastly inaccurate and that they are affected by a wide variety of conditions such as air temperature, atmospheric pressure, calibration? Also, if a car is dyno'ed on one machine it can give greatly different readings to another machine if the s ttings aren't corrected between machines?

Hasn't it been said in the past that certain mappers of unichip seem to give much better bhp numbers after a tune than others, and that this has been put down to their machine reading high rather than a better tune. As we all know anyway peak bhp isn't all that important in the grand scale of things a straight flat torque curve being much more useful.

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

firepower

i had the dyno done before the decat pipe was fitted so perhaps my bhp would now be higher   s:D :D s:D  and also as evileye says different dyno's can give different readings , the car still feels very quick when on boost and is running fine but as always as you get used to the performance you feel like you want more so perhaps i should have it dyno'd again to see what the numbers are now before going for a upgaded ecu or remap or larger injectors .
i would not mind increasing the bhp to around 220bhp or so but do not think i could justify spending £2000 on the car for that increase and i would not wish to risk the reliability of the engine by going to high

muffdan

It isn't so much the power output that the internals don't like, it's the torque. If you want to acheive a higher output you're going to have to go for bigger injectors and a different ECU. Depending what you're boost pressure currently is, a cheap way to get more power could be just to go for a boost controller. I know Liz had problems with her higher boost pressure, but when I had the TTE and the SP240, it was running at 8.8 PSI with no problems.

Jason
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

firepower

thanks for the advice but how long could the engine cope with running 8.8 psi boost and have there been any reliability problems with the sp 240s   s:?: :?: s:?:   that anyone knows of , i sound like a chicken don't i  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

muffdan

8.8 is well below what TTE specified as the maximum PSI.

SP have ran their car for 20k I believe, and its been driven hard for those 20k. For the Elise SPT package, they wanted to know the same thing as you as TTE/Toyota/Lotus wouldn't be guaranteeing the engine or kit on an Elise and they'd have to provide the warantee themselves. They stripped their engine down and measured the wear and tear on the internals. After everything was checked, Matt said (and I quote): "It was a waste of time". Now they're shipping Elises with 250bhp conversions based on the TTET/SP240 package but with a bigger intercooler.

So basically, stock internals aren't a problem up to 240lb/ft torque.

Jason
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

firepower

sounds good to me then , but stripping down the engine was not a waste of time if they can now honestly say that the internals can cope with higher boost pressure and the other sp 240 upgrade's   s:D :D s:D

muffdan

Reliability wise, I did have a cracked pipe on the TTE precat where it joined the turbo. That significantly reduced power (by about 25bhp) until it was fixed. Might be worth checking yours.

Jason
Jason

firepower

fitted a boost controller and terrified myself   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  it was nothing to do with the cars performance but while setting it up the boost gauge went round to 1 bar S**t took my foot of the pedal immediately and drove slowly listening for any strange noises that would signify impending doom for my engine   s:( :( s:(   everything seems ok and the car is running fine   s:) :) s:)   as for the boost controller i don't know if it has given the car any more performance but i can now easily adjust the boost with it but i will not be cranking it up to much

Anonymous

And you've got what controlling the fuelling? Forgive me for not reading back (8 pages is too much for me this time of night  s;) ;) s;)  ), but I don't think you're running any kind of piggyback at all (not including the TTE one), so I really wouldn't suggest putting the boost up at all: In fact, I'd remove it to make sure you can never overboost, just in case.

kanujunkie

Dan's right, the TTE kit runs on MAP based fuelling, go over the end of that fuelling map and your in unknown territory, litterally for the fuelling, dependant on the way it works, it may just keep the maps highest duty cycle for the fuelling and then the overpressure cause a lean situation, or it may just cut out, to be honest i'm not sure how the TTE works on this score, want to risk it either way?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

muffdan

14PSI is high but shouldn't damage your engine over such a short period (a second or two right?)! You'll have ran very lean for a moment. Could you hear it knocking?

The maximum pressure the TTE piggy-back is mapped to deal with is 9.7PSI

If your turbo from the factory is running under this, then you can use your boost controller to raise and achieve up to 9.7PSI. I'd map it a little under to account for boost spikes. My controller records maximum boost achieved so you can easily tweak the pressure to keep the spike peak below your chosen threshold.

Even if you don't increase boost pressure with the controller, you can simply use it to hold the waste gate FULLY closed until you hit your desired boost pressure. This will massively reduce lag (but increase boost spiking). A good controller will cycle the solenoid to reduce the spikes whilst keeping the reduced lag gains. It can take a few runs to tweak this to get it right though.

Jason
Jason

firepower

thanks for the advice folks at the moment the boost is set at 0.65 bar which is what the turbo was boosting to before i fitted the mbc , i do not intend to increase the boost any more but can reduce it a little if needed .
i thought the mbc would just transfered the adjustment of the boost from the actuator rod to the mbc , but i can easily return to stock set up if the mbc will cause engine trouble , the reason for posting this reply was to get feed back from others who know more than me so thanks again for your help   s:D :D s:D

muffdan

A MBC can't reduce the boost. The minimum boost is achieved by the spring holding the waste gate closed.

Running at .65 bar is about right. If I were you I'd simply set the controller to the same pressure and just use it to reduce your lag, not that there's much anyway with the TTET!

Jason
Jason

markiii

I don't believe an MBC can reduce lag you need an EBC for that
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

spit

With a decent ball/spring valve I'm not sure about that: I noticed quite a difference at the stock wastegate setting. Whether and why an EBC's solenoid would have a different effect again, I dunno.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

muffdan

Quote from: "markiii"I don't believe an MBC can reduce lag you need an EBC for that

The waste gate will crack open below the Set PSI, with an MBC you can keep it fully closed up to the required PSI. It definitely made a difference to my lag. It should also reduce the boost threshold a tad too.

Jason
Jason

Anonymous

You'll need to set it slightly below the required boot level though, else you risk it spiking and over-boosting.

markiii

Quote from: "muffdan"
Quote from: "markiii"I don't believe an MBC can reduce lag you need an EBC for that

The waste gate will crack open below the Set PSI, with an MBC you can keep it fully closed up to the required PSI. It definitely made a difference to my lag. It should also reduce the boost threshold a tad too.

Jason

my understanding was that an MBC worked by bleeding sufficient pressure to fool the wastegate hence it alwyas sees some (the wastegate is always opening a bit, it;s not an off switch)

an EBC will allow you to completely keep teh wastegate shut as it sees zero psi until a preset point
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tags: