tte turbo boost

Started by firepower, January 8, 2007, 22:44

kanujunkie

think we need Mark to look into his Corky bells Turbocharger bible, maybe that has some inspiration, i seem to remember it mentions this
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

spit

Yep - break out the guru!

There is some play in those diaghram and spring actuators, so I guess there's an optimum setting between tight shut, just shut and open that'll give you the 8psi (or whatever) that you need.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Quote from: "spit"I'm thinking you can adjust the arm to make sure the wastegate is firmly shut under resting condition and not creeping a bit.

Thats exactly it matey   s;) ;) s;)

The actuator rod is set to a pre agreed boost level as per the original specifications, by turning the rod the boost can be reduced/increased if there is enough tollerance to do so.  I've heard 4 turns per psi quoted but cant confirm that is the same for all blower units

I took mine to turbo technics as I was suffering from boost creep and they adjusted the rod to ensure the gate was closing/opening at the right points.

Liz

Before anyone else with the TTET considers creeping up their boost - remember it would be easy to grenade the engine!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

AND void your warranty, which is the point of buying the TTET   s;) ;) s;)

Liz

Good point that man!!   s:D :D s:D

philster_d

hehe what do i turn    s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

you're a bad man!    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:     s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Gazz

Just to add to this, under acceleration my boost gauge indicates a steady 7PSI but can creep up to between  8 & 9PSI,  usually when I floor it in 2nd   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

I had a conversation with Ste last year about installing a manual boost controller on mine, not necessarily to increase the boost but to see if it would spool up any quicker, when Ste installed his he said the spool up was noticebly quicker. I spoke to Matt at SP about this and to see if there was any way to increase the boost of the current setup. He was very non-committal and didn't want to say it could be increased but he did indicate that there was a fairly high tolerance level built into the existing TTET setup.

Thinking about it they were probably in the middle of creating the SP240 so he probably didn't want to tell us how to increase the boost for free at that time   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=80]Lotus Elise 111R, Larini Sports Exhaust [/size]

markiii

turning up teh boost on any turbo is pretty easy, the results though depend on wether teh ecu can supply sufficient fuel for it, wether teh turbo efficiency range creates more power or just more heat and wether your engine can take teh levels without grenading
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

philster_d

Maybe they set your to sp240 Liz ?     s:D :D s:D   a £2k knob twist oo errr

Gazz

Quote from: "markiii"turning up the boost on any turbo is pretty easy, the results though depend on wether the ecu can supply sufficient fuel for it

Which is why I wouldn't want to try it without been able to monitor the AFR. Don't really want my engine going bang for a little more boost !!
[size=80]Lotus Elise 111R, Larini Sports Exhaust [/size]

loadswine

Stu, if you're running a manual boost controller, shouldn't it stop creep?
I might be mistaken, but I thought that was an advantage of having one.
If I understand it correctly, it works by fooling the wastegate into thinking there is no boost until the actual boost pressure is sufficient to push the spring loaded ballbearing and send the actual pressure to the wastegate then, thus opening it.
Liz, I am glad you're getting it sorted, shouldn't  SP be sorting it out though, as its only just been converted?
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Liz

Thanks Nigel...good question really!! I do believe that the cars should be dyno'd before they leave with a boost check as well as a matter of course, we were all unaware of the fact that the boost can be changed so easily and if I hadn't of got the other check done and carried on driving at 10 with the leaness how it was, god knows how long my engine would of lasted?

When I went to Engine Advantages they said that it was running very very lean, they then found the boost at 10PSI, I saw the figures on the screen as well, they have turned it down to 8PSI.... just after that I swapped MAF's with Simon and went to Marks the other day and we done a WB test on it and its running ok now.  Simon threw a CEL yesterday and no surprise with the P0171 and P0174 codes - running lean, so it looks as though my MAF was pooped from the start.

loadswine

Its good to know what the root of your problem was Liz. Its dead handy having the 2 roadsters in the family, thats for sure.
I'm sure SP would make use of the feedback, to make certain this didn't happen again.

Liz

Quote from: "loadswine"Its good to know what the root of your problem was Liz. Its dead handy having the 2 roadsters in the family, thats for sure.
I'm sure SP would make use of the feedback, to make certain this didn't happen again.

Too right, I am having his leather seats next time he's not looking!!

loadswine

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

kanujunkie

Quote from: "loadswine"Stu, if you're running a manual boost controller, shouldn't it stop creep?

in theory, your right, however at the mo theres no ball bearing in my boost controller, i removed it to get minimul boost levels while the clutch was nearing death. However things like air density and other fluctuations will change the point at which the wastegate will open if the bearing was installed.
[size=100]Stu[/size]

firepower

a few of our members namely simonmr2 , muffdan and leeber are booked in at sp to have the tte turbo fitted this month   s:) :) s:)  

it maybe a good idea for them to get their psi checked before they leave sp or at least discuss this issue with matt
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft
1/4 mile 14.6 s @ 90 .55 mph  ( at drag strip )

Anonymous

I've been toying between a 2zz conversion or a TTET for ages and have been leaning towards the TTET recently. However, all this talk of the problems Liz has had plus the reports of power droping off and peoples varying boost levels etc are all starting to worry me  s:( :( s:(   Am I being over cautious and paranoid? I would have felt better if there had been more input from SP regarding Liz's problems plus some general reassurance to other current or prospective owners.

kanujunkie

neither but you do have to remember that with forced induction, nothing is set in stone, too many variables, it would seem that TTE's claim is nothing more than a ball park figure of 7psi
[size=100]Stu[/size]

firepower

hi steve
nothing wrong with being cautious but to put you at ease my car is running fine it is just that we believed that the psi on the tte turbo was set at 7psi and could not be adjusted. to be fair to sp i do not think the issue has been raised with them yet but i am sure it will be.
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft
1/4 mile 14.6 s @ 90 .55 mph  ( at drag strip )

loadswine

Fair point, but I think Liz has indicated that part of her issues was found to be with the maf. Not sure if Liz or any other TTE owner has spoken to SP about hte boost levels.
Liz will be the best person to answer this one.
Given SP's reputation, I would think that if there is an issue on the conversions that wants addressing they wouldn't ignore it.

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies so far fellas  s:) :) s:)   I probably am worrying too much but it's such a lot of money that I can't afford to get the decision wrong. My car runs perfectly at the moment and always has done, so as much as I'd love the extra performance the last thing I want to do is spend so much money only to end up with problems or issues which I didn't have before. Do you know what I mean?

Liz

Quote from: "SteveM"I would have felt better if there had been more input from SP regarding Liz's problems plus some general reassurance to other current or prospective owners.

I have spoken to SP about the boost issue and the reply was as quoted ( and I am not breaking confidence here, as its a fact as I am sure that this would be told to any current/prospective owner)  

"The boost is pre-set and the electronics are set up to work with the factory waste gate adjustment".

but as my diagnostic proved, its not the case.

All that I would say is insist on a dyno with a boost plot before you take the car away.

I know that there was a slight problem with my car giving a little hiccup at 4500rpm, which was thought, possibly to be a VVTi issue before the turbo was fitted. This was given as the cause for the severe power drop when the car was dyno'd after the TTET was on, I did ask for a pre turbo dyno which wasn't done.  As you can see from the EA dyno the power is going up still at 4500rpm, now this was after the boost was turned down and the engine would of been running richer...I summise that the poor car had too much air and not enough fuel and ran out of puff due to the 10psi , hence the sudden power drop.  Does this make sense...  s:? :? s:?

I am sure that your car will be fine Steve, I have had had MAF and O2 issues with mine as well which haven't helped.

Tags: