tte turbo boost

Started by firepower, January 8, 2007, 22:44

markiii

Quote from: "Liz""The boost is pre-set and the electronics are set up to work with the factory waste gate adjustment".

technically true

it just assumes teh factory wastegate adjustment is spot on
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

spit

The important thing is that you've got sorted eventually Liz. Something has happened somewhere between the factory and you taking delivery of your TTET that shouldn't have happened in a kit whose install instructions make no mention of needing to trim the settings. At least we're all aware of this now - sorry it had to happen to you though  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

It surprised me when breaking into this minefield of boost that gauges were at best minimal/optional and at worst entirely absent on kits, particularly when the boost setting relies on a relatively simple mechanical device. But there'y'go!
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

philster_d

But you would presume would be checked by the instalers with their workshop gauges during initial testing.

spit

Thats not specified in the installation schedule. I think we can all agree with hindsight that it definately should be.

Hopefully now it will be introduced as a matter of course.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Silverstone Performance

Quote from: "philster_d"But you would presume would be checked by the instalers with their workshop gauges during initial testing.

No.  As mentioned, the Toyota installation procedure does not require any such check/ adjustment.  The adjustment is set and verified by the supplier (i.e. Garrett).  It is possible something has gone wrong in their process.  We're looking into this.  We'll get back with further comment on this matter as soon as we can.

Leeber

Hi guys & girls,

My car's due to go in on Monday for the TTET conversion so as you can imagine I've been following this thread with interest. I didn't want to post until I had something useful to say. I've emailed Matt @ SP the link to this thread so's he can have a read of it and possibly post a response. I've also just called him to let him know that this issue is being talked about.
I'm sure that most of you know Matt a lot better than I do, I've met him once and talked to him on the phone a few times in the last few weeks. My impression of SP so far has been very positive, and I get the feeling from the few times I've spoken to Matt that SP's image is very important to him as well, as you would expect. As Nigel said earlier, I can't imagine that SP would ignore it if there was an issue with the conversions.

On another note, I hope this hasn't caused any longer-term damage to your engine Liz, the fact that it didn't go bang just goes to show what a great piece of engineering the 1ZZ really is.

Oops! looks like Matt got there before I even finished typing this post, my point exactly.   s:D :D s:D
I\'m Pink, Therefore I\'m Spam.

Liz

Matt has called me...I am going to SP tomorrow with a view to trying to sort this out.  Taking old MAF's - new MAF's etc and having a play on the dyno, will let you peeps know the outcome.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"Matt has called me...I am going to SP tomorrow with a view to trying to sort this out.  Taking old MAF's - new MAF's etc and having a play on the dyno, will let you peeps know the outcome.

That's good news Liz, both for you and any prospective owners  s:) :) s:)   Lets  hope it's a successful day  s:) :) s:)

Leeber

Any news yet Liz?

Liz

Yes, I attended SP yesterday the car appears to be better and my boost issue is sorted.  Matt will be posting shortly - his explanation will be better than mine for sure.

Leeber

Glad it's sorted, cheers. Lee

Anonymous

Quote from: "Leeber"Glad it's sorted, cheers. Lee

Same here Liz  s:D :D s:D

Leeber

Well, I took the car in today, SP dyno'd it before starting the work just for piece of mind. The result? 132.7 HP. The car has about 1700 miles on the clock, a markiii inlet duct and TRD panel filter. I'm not sure if this is a good result or not, I'd be interested to hear what the rest of you think.
I also got stung by Mr T for a new post cat o2 sensor, as the old one did not want to come out, by the time they did finally get it out the thread was so buggered that it couldn't be re-used. Ouch!

Liz

Are they keeping the Markiii pipe on when they turbo it?

I take it you are doing stage 1 at the moment?  As for the result of the dyno its only 5.3 below what is quoted by Toyota as stock so the car should be making that and I would be happy with that. Are you having the full SP or just the turbo for now, I can't remember.

Anonymous

With a Markiii pipe and TRD filter I'd be expecting 138-140 at least, but then again that's a very new engine and isn't even warm yet, so that's probably about right.

Leeber

Matt's asked me to take the old inlet duct when I go to pick the car up. I think he was worried that the markiii duct may cause the car to run slightly lean, wasn't that part of the problem with your car?

I'm having the turbo, exhaust & decat, TTE springs, quickshift, braided brake hoses and geometry done. Pretty much the whole stage one kit, the wheels & strut brace were done when I went to test drive the SP240 last week. I'm not doing the stage 2 (although I was sorely tempted) mainly because the car's under warranty for another 2 years, also insurance seems to be difficult enough with just the stage one mods.

Anonymous

There's not a chance in hell the Markiii pipe will make the engine run lean with a turbo on.

aaronjb

Quote from: "Ekona"There's not a chance in hell the Markiii pipe will make the engine run lean with a turbo on.

Ah, Dan - you put it so much more.... politely than I would have  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Liz

Be interesting then if a dyno was done with a Lambda plot with and  without the Markiii pipe.

Leeber

Quote from: "Ekona"There's not a chance in hell the Markiii pipe will make the engine run lean with a turbo on.

s:flame: :flame: s:flame:  eeek! don't shoot the messenger. I'm only relaying what I was told by someone who's job it is to be more knowledgeable on the subject than me.

I didn't notice a blind bit of difference when I put the duct and air filter on the new car, I did with the old SMT though so I assumed that was because it had a TTE exhaust whereas the new car is (was) stock.

Anyhow, whilst there's a warranty at stake, I ain't gonna argue with the man.

Anonymous

Sorry if my post came across as a bit harsh: I promise you it wasn't meant that way. Soz  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Aaron will back me up, as he knows what I mean  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

I've been meaning to ask what peoples thought's were on the Markiii inlet pipe on a TTET. I'd wondered if any owners were using it and what they thought, beneficial or not? It's interesting to hear what SP think on the matter.

P.S. Liz do you know if SP are still going to post a reply about their findings on your car last week?

Anonymous

The worst it'll do is nothing, and the best it'll do is give you a touch more power. So much like an N/A, then.  s;) ;) s;)

*EDIT* And that post makes me sound like SteveJ. I'm not doing very well at not coming across as an arse tonight, am I?  s:( :( s:(

Liz

Quote from: "SteveM"P.S. Liz do you know if SP are still going to post a reply about their findings on your car last week?

Matt is meant to be, I know that he was busy though.

Leeber

Dan, don't worry mate, none taken. I was just being facetious (if that's the right word)   s:P :P s:P  

Does anyone else use the duct with the TTET?

Tags: