Belt tensioner noise - now much louder - should I panic ?

Started by Anonymous, November 4, 2003, 16:10

Anonymous

I'm in the same boat as a load of people on here, as my warranty is up next week.

I have had the 'tick tick' noise at idle from the o/s engine bay noticable for ages, so pointed this out to dealer a couple of weeks ago when they had the car to change brake disks, and they agreed to replace the belt tensioner.

Over this weekend the car has developed a much louder rough rattling noise, which is very noticable when accelerating hard at any revs. I hope it is the belt tensioner getting worse (car has 22k miles on it), however I don't understand why throttle position would have any effect on this noise (ie it shouldn't), so am slightly concerned this could be something more sinister.

Car was back at dealer yesterday for hood swap, so I specifically asked the service manager to check this, and he says he listened to the car and it is definately the belt tensioner and nothing else, it is booked in on Tuesday for service and 1st MOT and to have this changed.

I will check oil regularly (as always), and look for white bits round exhaust, but any other tips, or has anyone else had this kind of noise and belt tensioner has corrected this ??

James

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "jblackmore"I will check oil regularly (as always), and look for white bits round exhaust

White bits. Burning oil will have the whitish cloud, but this is the cloud not the residue. What you need to look out for around the tips is a lot of black soot and oil residue.

Remember just because your warranty is out next week, it doesn't mean everything has to be fixed by then. What it means is that you need to have informed your dealer of the problems and have the car booked in by midnight of the expirary date of the warranty.

Anonymous

QuoteOver this weekend the car has developed a much louder rough rattling noise, which is very noticable when accelerating hard at any revs.

I would insist that the dealer notes something like the above description in the paperwork so you have some comeback post-warranty even if they add the comment they believe it is the timing belt.

I have the accessory belt tensioner noise but it is only heard at idle. However it might be worth seeing if there is any obvious loose metalwork e.g. heatshields once the engine is cool but would require a poke around and under the car. I have seen on Spyderchat the exhaust part company with the pre-cats so it could be something fairly simple. If you are worried about something more serious such as the cats-related failure then you best pull your oxygen/lamda sensor and have a look at the top of them. That would require an oxygen sensor socket and the removal of the heatshield.

Trust your instincts as my personal experience is that you know your car best.

Anonymous

Quote from: "jblackmore"however I don't understand why throttle position would have any effect on this noise (ie it shouldn't),

Perhaps 'cause the belt is going faster/slower depending on the revs?

That said, I'd really listen to the others, they've a little more experience of the problems you're describing/worrying about than me.

Anonymous

When I say noise varies with throttle position, this is at the same revs.

I understood pre-cat breakup showed up as white particles in the exhaust.

Checked the oil last night, and topped up a little, but oil level was just over halfway up the dipstick marks anyway, so whilst it may have used a little oil, it doesn't seem excessive.

Hopefully belt tensioner is all the noise is, but I have already made sure this is noted by the dealer and kept records of every conversation anyway, as I always do.

Fingers crossed this is just me panicing over nothing.

Tem

"I specifically asked the service manager to check this, and he says he listened to the car and it is definately the belt tensioner"

I blew an engine recently. First I thought it's the tensioner and the dealer said the same, but it wasn't.

"Over this weekend the car has developed a much louder rough rattling noise, which is very noticable when accelerating hard at any revs."
"When I say noise varies with throttle position, this is at the same revs."

Exactly like mine did.

"I understood pre-cat breakup showed up as white particles in the exhaust."

I never noticed any white particles.

"Checked the oil last night, and topped up a little, but oil level was just over halfway up the dipstick marks anyway, so whilst it may have used a little oil, it doesn't seem excessive."

Mine didn't really burn any oil before it blew. I noticed the noise a month or two before the engine blew, but at first the dealer said it's normal.

"Fingers crossed this is just me panicing over nothing."

Lets hope for the best  s:) :) s:)  (but fear for the worst  s:( :( s:( )
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Slacey

Always looking on the bright side, eh Tem?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Tem

Quote from: "Slacey"Always looking on the bright side, eh Tem?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Always  s8) 8) s8)

This just sounds exactly like my case...  s:? :? s:?  I think it's best to be aware of it and pay extra attention to the noise and other symptoms...

Peter Wright

Quote"Fingers crossed this is just me panicing over nothing."

Lets hope for the best  s:) :) s:)  (but fear for the worst  s:( :( s:( )
[/quote]

I should be worried if I were you
when my tensioner went on my Jaguar it cost me £1,800.00
to put right

Pete   s:o :o s:o
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

Tem

I asked for the prices of all the parts listed in the belt tensioner TSB. The tensioner assembly itself was over 500e. The rest totalled to about 100e.
(local prices with no discount)

If mine went and warranty wouldn't fix it, I'd try to fix the roller myself. It's just one bearing that goes bad, I'd guess it can be replaced with some work "for nothing"...

Oh btw, according to SC, you can check if it's the belt tensioner by tensioning it yourself when the car is running. The noise should disappear. Obviously be damn careful not to hit any moving parts, while you're there.

Anonymous

I've just come back from a visit to Mr T, where I was having my wheels replaced under warranty (less than a month to go).

They have now booked me in to replace the front disks because of corrosion, fix the front shock top mounts, and the auto belt tensioner, all under warranty.

Simon

Anonymous

Just to update this, my car went in for its 30k service and MOT yesterday, so again I mentoined the clattering noise at open throttle (third time I have asked the dealer to note this) and suggested they inspect the pre-cats, as I was aware there was a possible problem in this area.

I collected the car last night and they had not checked them, but said the car was road tested and is fine.

I heard the clatter as I pulled out of the dealer, so went straight back in and drove the service manager round the block to point out the noise, he accepted there was a noise and said he would speak to Toyota about this today.

The noise is a clattering noise at wide open throttle at any revs, almost like a diesel engine.

At 8.32 this morning i got a call from the dealer saying they had spoken to Toyota who are aware of the problem and they have a redesigned manifold to resolve this, which they have ordered so should be here this week.

Hopefully, if this is correct and the new part corrects this problem, I will post an update when this has been fitted, probably end of this week or early next.

GSB

Quote from: "jblackmore"At 8.32 this morning i got a call from the dealer saying they had spoken to Toyota who are aware of the problem and they have a redesigned manifold to resolve this, which they have ordered so should be here this week.

Hopefully, if this is correct and the new part corrects this problem, I will post an update when this has been fitted, probably end of this week or early next.

Typical of them not to have looked when you specificaly asked for it to be done...  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

The "redesigned manifold" is an interesting turn of events though, first I've heard of such a thing. Any chance you can get part numbers for it and perhaps get a look at any supporting documentation that explains whats beeen done to it and why? They wont let you have a copy, but if you ask nicely they may let you have a look, in which case it might be advisable to not the document number for future reference?
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Not sure how much faith I am putting in the 'redesigned manifold' story, are the pre-cats (which appear to be the problem) built into the manifold, or are they seperate and replacable ??

I would have thought unless they alter the dimensions of the manifold (unlikely), or it includes the pre-cats and they have altered the design of them, then this may not really solve the problem.

Also, if the manifold does contain the pre-cats and it is a consumable part, I bet its not cheap !!

I guess this is one more reason to consider extending your warranty  :-) :-) :-)

James.

Anonymous

Just to follow up on this, the dealer changed the manifold yesterday, the noise is still there, its very noticable when accelerating hard at any revs in any gear, I think it may be valve or vvti related, as the noise comes and goes with throttle position.

I saw the old manifold and the pre-cats were absolutely fine, so I'm not sure why the dealer changed them, I had expected they would check this was a problem first.

Anyway, they have said if I am still not happy they will get an area rep to listen to the car, so doesn't sound too hopeful, so I might just try another dealer as it cannot be that difficult to locate and fix this problem !

James.

Anonymous

QuoteI think it may be valve or vvti related

Could it be the timing chain?

See http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3234&highlight=chain+rattle&sid=ffea5cd284936932e83b4f857b959fed which gets on to the topic of the chain.

For more info on the engine in general have a gander at the following file http://www.apbw47.dsl.pipex.com/1zzfe.pdf

L

Anonymous

Thanks for the link, from reading that thread on spyderchat it sounds exactly like my noise, so that is good news.

I will get onto the dealer to get the area rep down to check on this, and post an update with any news.

Just to clarify, noise symptons are:

Cold engine, no noticable noise for first 2-3 minutes running

Warm engine, noise sounds exactly like a diesel engine under open throttle, clattering type noise but only at open throttle, on trailing throttle the noise is almost completely quiet, slight fluttering noise as well when accelerating.

Hot engine, diesel noise goes much quieter, but still hear fluttering noise when accelerating.

Anonymous

I had my first occurance of the very loud Diesel clatter yesterday morning, but only for about a second at startup - and it hasn't done it again since...

The car has been making a kind of muted diesel clatter at idle for a long time though, but hasn't been mentioned at any of the services - could this be the beginnings of the belt tensioner problem?!

Typically I'm one month out of warranty when the loud clatter appears - although I'm sure there'll be some flexibilty as this seems to be a known issue..??!

Tim

Tem

Quote from: "c_a_r_t_e_r"could this be the beginnings of the belt tensioner problem?!

It sure sounds just like the descriptions on SC.

It gets louder a little by little over time, apparently some don't even notice it that much, before someone else points it out. Or after listening for it after reading some posts. But there has been several "I forgot how quiet this car is"-comments after the fix  s8) 8) s8)

cool_apple

Diesel like noise = tensioner.

had that and got it changed. No noise after that for 6-8 months

Now, new rattling noise (not heat sheilds) emiting from engine. noticable on start up and idle. but when warm it gone.  s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:  

-------

Anonymous

After a month of inactivity despite me phoning the dealer every week they have no decided they will take the car in for a week to strip it down and look at the parts to see if they can find something wrong ??

Hopefully they can fix this, not sure what we do otherwise.

BTW My belt tensioner has already been changed, so my diesel clatter noise must be something else. Also from SC list chain tensioner noise stops at 3000 revs, my noise doesn't stop. Also, car feels gutless above 5k revs so I think it is probably vvti related, or certainly might be.

Tags: