another manifold/turbo seperation

Started by kanujunkie, January 20, 2007, 14:08

kanujunkie

got in the car earlier and heard an odd rattle and upon further investigation i've found one maifold to turbo stud missing and one loose in its threads  s:( :( s:(  

more aimed at Phil or Alberto, but do you guys have any idea what size threads the studs are?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

spit

Stu - good to know that since we chatted it sounds like this is fettleable!

Alb and I have the stainless manifolds and use a nut and bolt fixing rather than studs set into the m'fold, but they're 13mm nuts (as opposed to the engine block studs which take a 12mm nut).

Dunno if this helps, but its the limit of my knowledge re. sizes, soz!

If its any consolation, I ran through the MOT with all 4 nuts missing  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Just discovered this yesterday when the car started to sound a bit blowy  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Ahh, the joys. Hope you get sorted soonish.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

broke one of the studs (turbo to down pipe) yesterday, managed to flatten the sides and use a mole grip to get it out, replaced it with a new bolt, but no idea what the thread is i'm afraid  (different kit anyway)

kanujunkie

cheers anyway guys, found out its a 1.25 thread, M8 nut, just got find the stud length now  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

kanujunkie

just heard back from Gas

Quote from: "Gas"It is an M8 stud about 4cm long. Make sure you buy an 8.8 strenght at least
[size=100]Stu[/size]

kanujunkie

gulp, just spent £23 on 4 nuts  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

and £20 on 4 studs  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

expensive repair  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

kanujunkie

guys, i'm covering all bases and double ordering on the studs, what do you think of these studs though

p/n 409-20840

at this thread

m http://www.wdsltd.co.uk/Fixings,%20Torq ... d%20Thread m
[size=100]Stu[/size]

loadswine

Are these stronger than the originals Stu? What do you think caused the failure of the broken one? Wasn't me catching the speed hump with the ic scoop, I hope.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

aaronjb

Is 11mm of thread before the shoulder on the short end enough, Stu?  It seems a little lop-sided, but then I never did see the originals  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

kanujunkie

Quote from: "loadswine"Are these stronger than the originals Stu? What do you think caused the failure of the broken one? Wasn't me catching the speed hump with the ic scoop, I hope.

no, it didn't break, more fell out from what i can see, and trust me, your not the first to catch that scoop

Quote from: "aaronjb"Is 11mm of thread before the shoulder on the short end enough, Stu?  It seems a little lop-sided, but then I never did see the originals  s:) :) s:)

pretty sure the origionals were like that, seems a bit strange i grant you
[size=100]Stu[/size]

philster_d

Sorry I got all mine spotted, because I was so scared from the recent (at the time) Hass experiences

kanujunkie

funny, at the time i thought, that could be a bastard if you want to remove it, now i'm thinking that was a bloody good idea, gonna get that done myself this time
[size=100]Stu[/size]

philster_d

If I ever go the internals route it may cost me an extra hour or 2 in the labour costs, but not a huge amount in the bigger scheme of things. *I imagine

Phil

kanujunkie

so did Gas weld the manifold to the block as well then?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

philster_d

no

kanujunkie

probably wont ever need to worry about splitting the turbo/manifold anyway, just take it off as one lump
[size=100]Stu[/size]

kanujunkie

well after a cold hour i've just stripped the manifold out of the car to confirm that it is indeed a missing stud and not a broken bit left inside, everything else looks A-OK except for a missing mounting bolt on the turbo brace, so all in all a lucky escape and a resonably quick fix, now to hope that the snow thats forecast doesn't come  s:? :? s:?  or else the re-install could be a cold one  s:( :( s:(  

BTW if anyone needs engine stud then the WDS company mentioned above can help, i just got 8 studs for under a tenner delivered although the poor woman on the end of the phone was a bit shocked when i phoned at 7.30am on the dot of opening
[size=100]Stu[/size]

spit

What are your nuts like Stu?  (don't say "freezin cold"!)  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Are you going for tack weld?

I've lost count of how many I've lost now - tried allsorts - nutlock, locking nuts, nordlocks, spring washers and combinations of ..... still dropping nuts like a nervous squirrel  s:? :? s:?

Seems its only those that go - the head-manifolds are fine at stock torque and the turbo outlet Allen bolts are fine with a bit of loctute blue.

kanujunkie

yeah i'm going for a tack weld, its a sure fire way to be sure and its still relatively easy to break everything down with a weld in place if needs be, plus of course its a leave and forget item then
[size=100]Stu[/size]

aaronjb

Tried the second-nut trick yet?
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

spit

Quote from: "aaronjb"Tried the second-nut trick yet?

Not enough room   s:? :? s:?  Maybe with slimmer nuts?

Major nut-ache last weekend as I tightened the thing up using the ratchet ring spanner one click at a time   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  .... only to find that I couldn't get the bleedin spanner off once the bolt was fully home   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

And to top it all its one of those cheap ratchet spanners that only changes direction by ..... turning it over.   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  D'oh!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Looks like tack welds are the way to go.

aaronjb

Heh - ahh the number of times I've done the same thing with a spanner (ratchet and normal!).  Of course, I usually find that my fingers are then jammed between the spanner and the thing preventing me from getting it off  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

The nuts I was thinking of were pretty thin - thinking back to my old Renault 5 now, but you had one nut that was normalish thickness (maybe a little thinner), and one that was only 3-4mm thick (which was a pain to undo!).. They never came undone by themselves, but you could still change the turbo in an hour start to finish  s:) :) s:)

kanujunkie

Quote from: "spit"And to top it all its one of those cheap ratchet spanners that only changes direction by ..... turning it over.   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  D'oh!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

not just the cheap ones Ste, my expensive snap-on ones have to be turned over as well  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

spit

Quote from: "kanujunkie"not just the cheap ones Ste, my expensive snap-on ones have to be turned over as well  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Really?? I thought at that price the Snap-ons would come with someone to turn them over for you.....

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

kanujunkie

Quote from: "spit"
Quote from: "kanujunkie"not just the cheap ones Ste, my expensive snap-on ones have to be turned over as well  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Really?? I thought at that price the Snap-ons would come with someone to turn them over for you.....

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

no, at work i use a thing called a manager, it turns me over regulary
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tags: