another manifold/turbo seperation

Started by kanujunkie, January 20, 2007, 14:08

LeeUK

Quote from: "kanujunkie"no, at work i use a thing called a manager, it turns me over regulary

I got one of those too, not cheap though, cost £60k per year!
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

kanujunkie

nightmares again today, went to rebuild the car and found a small hairline crack in the manifold to turbo gasket  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

got to travel to Penge in London tomorrow to get a new one  s:( :( s:(

a big thanks to Aaron for the details on the gasket   s:D :D s:D
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

aaronjb

Glad you found one  s:) :) s:)

Saves me rooting through the cupboard  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

spit

Another trusty Nissan part Aaron?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

kanujunkie

dont hold your horses yet Aaron, if they dont turn up then you could be getting another call  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

and yep, another trustworthy Nissan part  s:D :D s:D
[size=100]Stu[/size]

markiii

they are much better than the stuff Garret supply
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

looks like tomorrow could be a busy one then, everything from the block down is stripped out and i've got mums mini till Sunday evening, times definatley against me at the mo  s:? :? s:?  

oh yeah and i've got 8 hrs of studying to fit in  s:? :? s:?    s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

loadswine

If you need another pair of hands mate, I'm always willing to help!
Not with the studying though!!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

kanujunkie

just got back from London with the gaskets and hat off to Aaron, they are perfect, a bit thicker than the stock one but they fit perfectly. Nigels coming down in a little while to lend an extra set of hands, so fingers crossed, she should be back running in a few hours
[size=100]Stu[/size]

kanujunkie

just wanted to say a big big thank you to Nigel who gave up his free time to come and help me rebuild the car

Cheers Mate  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:D :D s:D  

on a side note, i finally got round to installing the signal conditioning resistor properly, so after a drive, i was really pissed when the CEL came back on, at first i thought, bloody resistor didn't work, but after reading the code it came up as P0443, EVAP purge control valve  s:( :( s:(  

never rains but it pours  s:( :( s:(    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

So what's the EVAP purge control valve then, Stu?

Glad to hear you're 99% of the way back though bud.

kanujunkie

pass, its got me, i cant even find a direct connection in the manual  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

i'm thinking its the VSV valve got a bit sticky from being sat around all week but its only a guess, i've given it a blow through with cleaner and reset the ECU, so fingers crossed its just a temporary glitch  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

loadswine

Stu, you're more than welcome, glad to have been of use.  s:) :) s:)  
Hope you sort the cel problem.

spit

Nice work Stu/Nigel. Glad to hear the hard stuff is done. Good luck with the CEL.

Have you had that clutch installed yet Stu? Any plans?

kanujunkie

Quote from: "spit"Have you had that clutch installed yet Stu? Any plans?

had to get it done quickly the other week, bloody thing went really quick when the temp dropped to 0. Sorry mate  s:( :( s:(  , we'll be popping up your way soon though mate, no fear  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

as for the CEL, 5 seperate trips out and no CEL, so looks good. Interestingly the boost with the boost controller removed is going to 8psi, so i'm wondering if the leak was affecting the boost readings. But if thats so then it means i was running 15psi although it showed 12psi  s:scared: :scared: s:scared:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

spit

Quote from: "kanujunkie"so i'm wondering if the leak was affecting the boost readings. But if thats so then it means i was running 15psi although it showed 12psi  s:scared: :scared: s:scared:

EEK!!!  

Exhaust leak would just limit your ability to boost - doubt your readings would be inaccurate as a result would they?

And you'd notice serious problems if you'd gone to 15psi - not least that the mapping hasn't been done beyond 12psi!! The extra injection numbers on Gaspar's map haven't been tweaked to cope beyond 11 or 12psi so you'd start to go a bit lean. I had to put some extra fuel in when I upped to 12psi .... but that was on the same map after I'd leaned it back a bit across the board cos Philster's settings were sending flames out the back of my car   s:? :? s:?  

....and the prize for worst explanation of the day re. mapping goes to ...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

loadswine

I don't think it was boosting to 15 , or at least not going lean, as the afr showed okay when I drove it. The engine seemed quite at ease with whatever boost it was running.  s:) :) s:)

kanujunkie

thats a good point Ste, kinda makes me want to wipe my brow. The AFR has never gone lean, although at the 12psi before it was starting to creap down from the normally rich to optimum, nothing to worry about there then.

actually thinking about it, if the pre turbo exhaust inlet is leaking then the turbo's not going to spool up at the same rate, so the air inlet side isn't going to pressurise to the same degree and will end up with a lower PSI reading because of that.
[size=100]Stu[/size]

kanujunkie

loads of trips out now and no CEL, so looks like a glitch thats gone away

btw Aarons little p/n find for the turbo gasket, spot on, heres some pictures

[size=100]Stu[/size]

aaronjb

Actually I think it was Mark who originally got the S14 part number - I only had the 300ZX one  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

spit

Shamelessly poached from a Mark post and in my favourites just in case  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  :

Turbo to Manifold is a rectangular 4 bolt flange, Nissan part number for this on the S14 200SX is 1441575F10 and comes in at £12.70

Turbo to exhaust (odd shaped 5 bolt affair) Nissan part number for the s14 200SX 1444575F10 cost £16.48

These fit standard GT28 Family Garret Turbos including those on the Hass and C2 kits[/list]

kanujunkie

well, my problems havn't finished  s:( :( s:(  

in addition to fixing the turbo, i finally got round to fitting the signal conditioning resistor, looks like it dosnt work on mine  s:( :( s:(  , i've now got the following CEL codes

P0135 O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction (bank 1 sensor 1)
P0141 O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2)
P0155 O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction (bank 2 sensor 1)
P0443 evaporative emmision control system purge control valve circuit malfunction

seems a lot of codes to be caused by one little resistor, anyone got any idea's?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

muffdan

sounds like a fuse   s:D :D s:D
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"well, my problems havn't finished  s:( :( s:(  

in addition to fixing the turbo, i finally got round to fitting the signal conditioning resistor, looks like it dosnt work on mine  s:( :( s:(  , i've now got the following CEL codes

P0135 O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction (bank 1 sensor 1)
P0141 O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2)
P0155 O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction (bank 2 sensor 1)
P0443 evaporative emmision control system purge control valve circuit malfunction

seems a lot of codes to be caused by one little resistor, anyone got any idea's?

Have you used an Ohmeter to double check the resistance value? Perhaps incase the resistor has gone faulty and reading either open or closed circuit, or is simply way out of tolerance.

Richie.

spit

My first thought would be that these circuits share a common earth and its gone AWOL somewhere down the line.

(Actually that was my second thought .... my first thought was Mmmmm these chocolate biscuits are yummy   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

Tags: