another manifold/turbo seperation

Started by kanujunkie, January 20, 2007, 14:08

kanujunkie

no i havn't yet, the CEL dissapeared for ages only to reappear on the way home from work, i'll do it tomorrow, bloody hope that its not reading true, that'll be a fortune in o2 sensors  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

kanujunkie

Quote from: "spit"My first thought would be that these circuits share a common earth and its gone AWOL somewhere down the line.

they do share a common earth, good point  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Quote from: "spit"(Actually that was my second thought .... my first thought was Mmmmm these chocolate biscuits are yummy   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

[drool mode]
gimme! gimme! gimme!
[/drool mode]
[size=100]Stu[/size]

markiii

at least 1 of teh 02s should be fine as you didn't touch.

however you duid get creative with rerouting wiring to make this neat and from memory made a bit of a hash of it.

I suspect thats where your problem is  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

Quote from: "markiii"however you duid get creative with rerouting wiring to make this neat and from memory made a bit of a hash of it.

no, wireing was ok, i took it out and made sure, its spot on, it was my origional drawing that was crap
[size=100]Stu[/size]

kanujunkie

think i've just found the culprit, been going through the wireing diagrams and the EVAP VSV and all the o2 sensors are fed by the 7.5A EFI2 fuse, i'll lay money that its blown
[size=100]Stu[/size]

spit

Quicker than Hetty Wainthrop and a darn sight more attractive too  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  Nice work Stu! Let's hope its coincidental and not a short in the conditioner.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

kanujunkie

bingo, fuse is blown!

and why thank you darling  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

kanujunkie

just been out for a bit of a drive after replaceing it and all looks good, new fuse has not blown and me a happy man
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

good work there matey   s:) :) s:)

kanujunkie

**thread drift**

love the avatar Perry, thing is it looks exactly like my cat! and the little bugger is as punchy as that one, made me laugh  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

loadswine

Glad you got it sorted Stu, and glad it wasn't a biggie.  s:) :) s:)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

kanujunkie

did a double check today, the same stud position that had dissapeared was loose  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

guess i need a welder quick  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

loadswine

Wow , that's with thread lock applied as well. Shouldn't take the welder too long as its just to tack it and stop rotation. Was it the nut,opr the actual stud Stu?
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

kanujunkie

the stud, the nut was fine
[size=100]Stu[/size]

aaronjb

Hey Stu, what do you torque these to?

I was just going through the Nissan manual (it's a similar setup afterall - cast iron manifold with the turbo dangling from it's four studs) which specifies 32-40lb/ft, however I did also just notice (and I'd forgotten about this) that the turbos come with 'locking plates' - y'know, big copper plates that go over both studs on one side, the nuts go over them and then you fold a tab up on the plate type thing.

It's just weird that there must be loads of cars running around with similar setups - granted there might be a little more exhaust weight on the '2, but I'm not entirely convinced of that - and turbos don't drop off those on a regular basis..  I'm trying to figure out what makes the C2/Hass different as I'm, well, confused  s:) :) s:)

[edit] The only other thing I thought of - the Nissan manifolds only have one 'blind' stud, the others go right through the flange.  But I can't see that having a bearing on it either  s:? :? s:?
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

thats weird matey?  and concerning obviously   s:? :? s:?

markiii

Quote from: "aaronjb"Hey Stu, what do you torque these to?

I was just going through the Nissan manual (it's a similar setup afterall - cast iron manifold with the turbo dangling from it's four studs) which specifies 32-40lb/ft, however I did also just notice (and I'd forgotten about this) that the turbos come with 'locking plates' - y'know, big copper plates that go over both studs on one side, the nuts go over them and then you fold a tab up on the plate type thing.

It's just weird that there must be loads of cars running around with similar setups - granted there might be a little more exhaust weight on the '2, but I'm not entirely convinced of that - and turbos don't drop off those on a regular basis..  I'm trying to figure out what makes the C2/Hass different as I'm, well, confused  s:) :) s:)

got a pic of those? it sounds similar to what TTE use?

[edit] The only other thing I thought of - the Nissan manifolds only have one 'blind' stud, the others go right through the flange.  But I can't see that having a bearing on it either  s:? :? s:?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

aaronjb

I don't have a photamugraph, but I can do you a diadrawagram:

Labelled as "Locking plate" bottom right, ish.  They have a side that goes up over the edge of the turbo flange, and then two small tabs you can bend up against the side of the nuts.

Actually.. I think they're a Garret item, not a Nissan-specific thing.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

Anonymous

The problem is caused or at least exacerbated by the use of liquid threadlocker.

The exhaust area is too hot and burns it off leaving dust that causes the stud to lose its 'bite' on the thread surfaces.

Heat cycling and vibrations do the rest to back the stud out.

Once the stud is a little bit loose theres nothing holding the nut on either.

markiii

Quote from: "aaronjb"I don't have a photamugraph, but I can do you a diadrawagram:

Labelled as "Locking plate" bottom right, ish.  They have a side that goes up over the edge of the turbo flange, and then two small tabs you can bend up against the side of the nuts.

Actually.. I think they're a Garret item, not a Nissan-specific thing.

any idea on a part number arron?

kanujunkie

Nice work Aaron  s:D :D s:D  i'll give them a go, shame its sunday or i'd go get some now.

as for the torques i'd say they were around those figures, i was useing a bog standard spanner due to space and a lack of torque wrench at home

interesting point on the threadlocker Bill, hadn't thought about it from that point of view but it makes sense

i still think a tack weld is the way to go, no question on its security then and its not as though it needs to come off much
[size=100]Stu[/size]

aaronjb

Quote from: "markiii"any idea on a part number arron?

These are the Nissan part numbers from the Z32 application - really must get myself a copy of the FAST CD that shows the S14 - fewer blank looks from dealers that way  s;) ;) s;)

14495-40P10  -- PLATE-LOCK (2x per turbo)
also, while on my travels:
14064-40P01  -- STUD-EXHAUST TUBE (manifold->turbo, 4x)
14415-17M00  -- INLET GASKET (equivalent to the S14 partno in the thread above)
14432-P7600  -- NUT-OUTLET (4x per turbo)
14432-0B700  -- (equivalent to above nut)

There you go - see if your friendly Nissan dealer can find the above on his system  s:) :) s:)

[edit]  Pure chance, I found the PLATE-LOCK partno over on SXOC - the S14 partno is 14495-17F00  s:) :) s:)

markiii

blinding, nice one bud

I'll pop to Nissan when I get a chance and have fun with teh parts department  :-) :-) :-)

kanujunkie

excellent, i'll have my self an S14 at this rate  s:D :D s:D  

one piece at a time

thanks Aaron  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

aaronjb

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I'm trying to gradually convert you both y'see... Is it working?  s;) ;) s;)

Tags: