Toyos versus Bridgestone

Started by andywood, January 21, 2007, 21:47

andywood

I have searched as best I can on this subject to avoid asking an already answered question, but I am sure that I am in a situation that many others have been before me!

Still got the original Yokos on my 2 and am about to change.
Seems from all the comments that I have seen on this site it is a toss-up between the Toyos and the Bridgestones.
I was initially set on the Toyos, but it seems that the T1-Rs are not available in the stock size for a post-03.
I am considering going for 225-40-16 (rear) and 195-50-15 (front).
The bridgestones are available in the stock sizes 215-45-16 / 185-55-15.

Anyone with any strong opinions either way?

Also, by going to non-stock tyre sizes, is this something that should be declared to the insurance company?
I was not sure, as the Toyos would be diff sizes they would still however be suitable for the rims.

Cheers for any advice on rubbers!
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

Chris_h

Another consideration is the lousy supply of RE040 and A043's. I phoned around for a pair fo rear A043's and 3 Mr T dealers said they did not have any and were struggling to get hold of them   s:( :( s:(  
And if they did have them, they were approaching £250 for a fitted pair...

I'm not sure about the insurance question. I'm with Morethan and they make the mods thing quite straightforward by basically asking 'does it increase top speed or acceleration'. The problem is that if you declare it (and you needn't have) they'll probs charge you regardless.

Personally, I wouldn't bother, but others would.

Chris
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Wabbitkilla

Advice on rubbers  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   I suggest the ribbed and noduled ones for ultimate sensitivity  s8) 8) s8)  

However, now the serious bit.
I've run both, and currently running Toyos at the sizes you've indicated.

I understand some people reckon the Bridgestones last longer than the Toyos. In my experience the Toyos offer much better grip especially in the wet (odd as they're supposed to be a summer tyre, but hey if it works...). If they last only half the length of time as the Bridgestones, then I've not lost anything because they're half the price and I've gained so much!

Also one hugely important thing is they don't tramline like the Bridgestones do, but you must make sure your tyre pressures are right otherwise they can feel a bit squirmy at the back due to their softer side walls. Me, i run 26psi front and 36psi back, this is what i find most comfortable. Any lower and they squirm under load, any higher and the begin to lose grip and it just feels "light".

Insurance? Erm, to be honest i forgot to mention it to my insurer, but i'm renewing soon and i'll make sure my new insurer is aware then they can decide, but in my view as long as they're legal then there shouldn't be an issue.

I must repeat at this stage that it might only be my opinion, but the Toyos have far superioir grip in all conditions and i reckon in the long run they will be cheaper that the Bridgestones.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

andywood

didn't realise that supply was such a problem   s:( :( s:(  

I'm with you on the insurance - mention anything and no doubt it will be extra, but then how do you know what you should or needn't mention.
I see it like this - if I could buy stock size Toyos then I would, I can't and the sizes available are still suitable for the wheels and vehicle. Therefore they surely must be considered a standard replacement item.

e-tyres seems to be quoting about 80notes for each of the rear Toyos all-in.
Sounds like a good price to me   s:D :D s:D

heathstimpson

I'm the same as the car from new had the Bridgies and I changed to the Toyos. I like the RE40's but they did tend to tramline due to the hard sidewalls, and when the tread got to around 3-4mmish the grip wasn't as good especially in the wet. The toyos are much better IMHO but you do need to adjust the pressure to allow for the softer sidewalls. At the end of the day the price of one set of RE40's will pay for two sets of Toyos; no contest  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

andywood

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Advice on rubbers  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   I suggest the ribbed and noduled ones for ultimate sensitivity  s8) 8) s8)  

However, now the serious bit.
I've run both, and currently running Toyos at the sizes you've indicated.

I understand some people reckon the Bridgestones last longer than the Toyos. In my experience the Toyos offer much better grip especially in the wet (odd as they're supposed to be a summer tyre, but hey if it works...). If they last only half the length of time as the Bridgestones, then I've not lost anything because they're half the price and I've gained so much!

Also one hugely important thing is they don't tramline like the Bridgestones do, but you must make sure your tyre pressures are right otherwise they can feel a bit squirmy at the back due to their softer side walls. Me, i run 26psi front and 36psi back, this is what i find most comfortable. Any lower and they squirm under load, any higher and the begin to lose grip and it just feels "light".

Insurance? Erm, to be honest i forgot to mention it to my insurer, but i'm renewing soon and i'll make sure my new insurer is aware then they can decide, but in my view as long as they're legal then there shouldn't be an issue.

I must repeat at this stage that it might only be my opinion, but the Toyos have far superioir grip in all conditions and i reckon in the long run they will be cheaper that the Bridgestones.

Cheers for the good comments.
Considering the price and the reported performance, the Toyos definitely seem the way forward - they also have the sexiest tread pattern as well   s:D :D s:D  
I am going to ask my insurer as well (Adrian Flux), would be interesting to know what the feedback is from yours and mine.

kanujunkie

try going for 225/45/16 at the rear, they're quite often a bit cheaper

i've had several sets of both tyres and found the toyo's give a better feel and handling was much increased, especially on track. It depends on what you want and what driving you do. The Bridgstones are a better everyday tyre and are superb in the wet, the toyo's are superb in the dry but when the rubber gets lower then they can get slightly skittish in the wet. Overall the toyo is better IMHO.

as for the insurance then yes you do need to inform them
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Chris_h

Andy,

Toyo 225/40/16 are £51 each from mytyres (plus fitting) and £30 each for T1r fronts (195-50/50). All 4 fitted for much less than a pair of rear RE040s or A043.

That made my mind up then! - shame, because so far I have found the A043 to be pretty good.
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

kanujunkie

check out tyretraders.com as well
[size=100]Stu[/size]

VVT-i

Insurace -  You don't need to stick to stock tyre size.. there MUST be at least 2 sizes available for EVERY car on the road,, reasoning = IF yur local tyre supplier is out of stock on the OEM sizes there musat be an alternative you can use.. it is better to have legal tyres than illeagle tyres and as such any insurance company trying to get out of a claim would be up the creak without a paddle. It's the changing of OEM wheels that insurance companies can be fussy with.. any insurance company that refuses a claim because of a tyre size that differs from OEM is fighting a loosing battle... most cars have at LEAST 2 optional sizes in the handbook (never read mine for the 2 lol) The sizes you have mentioned (195/50's and 225/40's)are as close to OEM as you will get to fit the "2" without changing the wheels... so go ahead with what you want.. IMproffesionalO (tyre fitter) no need to inform the insureance company of the VERY SLIGHT varaition in tyre size fitted.
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

kanujunkie

so your willing to run the risk of invalidateing your insurance then?

Adrian Flux wanted to know from me when i changed over to different rubber, after all its the most important part on the car, sod the engine, its the rubber that puts you in contact with the road
[size=100]Stu[/size]

VVT-i

At work we have checked with insurance companies and advised costomers to check with their own insurance companies with regards to various things with tyres (sizes, speed ratings, load ratings etc) we are told that as long as a tyre meets the minimum requirements for the car in these areas, there won't be a problem changing the size and make of the tyre.

As I said in my previous post, there has to be an alternative size to put on in the event that the OEM size isn't available.. I recall someone coming into my work for a 175/60x15, so as we never had any in stock we phoned one of our wholesalers to check availabilty, at that particular time only Michelin (i think) manufactured that size and they were out of stock, after checking with five wholesalers we were informed that Michelin were also out of stock on this size and it was going to be 4 months before they started to make them again. This was on a brand new car and the owner had ruined his tyre on a kerb.. as the OEM size was unavailble he had to fit a pair on an alternative size.

By all means people should check with their own insurance companies, but as long as a tyre is to the same or higher specification (and obviously not too far from the OEM size) the insurance company shouldn't have a problem.. after all, a new tyre of a slighly different size is better and safer than a bald or damaged tyre.

Here is an example of alternative sizes.. each size is within a few mm to the same rolling radius.

155x13 (155/80x13) = 175/70x13
175/65x14 = 185/60x14
165x14 = 185/70x14 = 195/65x14
185/55x15 = 195/50x15

This is the type of alternatives that is listed in most car handbooks.. although I have only listed a small amount, it is the same stuation with nearly all sizes, however the bigger the OEM size the less options become available due to the restrictions with the J sizes of wheels and clearance issues on the car.... eg.. 205/40x17 = 215/35x17.. sometimes 215 tyres would be to wide for the rim/car.

To answer your question... no, I wouldn't risk invalidating my insurance.. but a slightly different tyre size on the OEM wheels shouldsn't be a problem.. some companies are more fussy than others though... especially if you have a moddified car.
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

andywood

Thanks for all the comments guys.

I am getting more and more impressed by the level of knowledge and support within the club as each day goes by   s:D :D s:D  

For me it now looks like Toyos and a conversation with the insurers! Probably speak to them tonight, so will post the feedback on this thread for anyone who is interested.
Might ask them about TTE springs as well, whilst I am on the phone   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

davidhowson

I can confirm that Yokohama do not have any rear tyres in the UK for the 16" wheels.
Last week I had the Bridgestone RE040's fitted all round and my first thoughts are that they are great, a vast improvement on my bald A043's!!
I also understand that Bridgestones are in short supply for the rear but plentiful for the fronts.

mrsmr2

If you find the tyre reviews section, you'll see my comments on them both.

If they were the same price I would go for the RE040s and live with the tramlining.

As RE040s are approx twice the price then that makes the decision much harder.  

However, if the T1-Rs last less (I don't know as I've not killed my T1-Rs yet) then it swings back in favour to the RE040s.

I'm going for Neovas next.
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

Anonymous

My Bridgestones were fantastic.
Only just changed the rears from new 27,170 miles  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  and the last 9000 miles with the TTET.
I'm sticking Toyos T1-R's on my mk2 turbo though.

fstsven

I can't comment on the Bridgestones as I haven't tried them. I can, however, tell you from first-hand experience that the Toyo's are very good (and believe me, I tried LOTS of tyres), and nothing beats them for the price. The stock Yoko's my car came with, on the other hand, should be forbidden: those are lethal in the wet!
So, my 2p: Toyo T1-R, 195/50/15 front, 225/40/16 rear.
2004 fire red TOYOTA MR
K&N air filter
BLUEFLAME single exhaust
APEX progressive rate springs (-30mm)
3.ORACING breastplate
TOYO proxes R1R 205/50/15(f)-225/45/16(r)
25 kgs extra lightness

kanujunkie

Quote from: "DavidM"Only just changed the rears from new 27,170 miles  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

NURSE, 10CC'S OF RIGHT FOOT LEAD STAT!
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Just gone through the same thought process myself & after reading all the posts on the subject I've ordered a set of Toyos.  The Bridgestones have done 23K and probably gave up the ghost around 20k to be honest.  Its like Disney on ice in Sheffield.  The final insult was being passed on the way out of town in the rain by a 17 year old hoody in a Chinquitento.

This is my only gripe with the 2'... it adds to SAD (Seasonal Affective Dissorder).  You kow what you can do in the 2 in the summer... fun fun fun.  But you have to take the pain in the winter by tippy toe'in around looking for dry patches.  I learnt my lesson some time ago spinning the 2 in a multi-story car park and doing someside ways stuff after being a bit over zelous in the wet.

This time of year is fairly disheartening for the 2' owner -lots of reports of ppl stuffin it into trees etc, HT on (no sun) and granny mode activated.  

Soon be spring when the fun starts again   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

rtbiscuit

must admit, i'v swapped to toyos, when i first had them on they felt quite odd. but after about 300 miles they felt great. the grip is far superior in the wet to the eagle f1's i had and the REO4Os

would defo get them again
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

andywood

Have checked with my insurers (Adrian Flux).

They have confirmed that the slight change in tyres sizes (as mentioned in my first post above) will not effect the premium and will not be classified as a modification.
They will add the details of our conversation to my record for information though.

Toyos are on the weekly shopping list now, just a shame that I can't order from Tesco's!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Looks like Mytyres.co.uk are giving the best prices and will get fitting done somewhere local to get the best deal.

Cheers all for the comments   s:D :D s:D

Jigwar

Quote from: "andywood"Looks like Mytyres.co.uk are giving the best prices and will get fitting done somewhere local to get the best deal.

Try Graeme at Blackcircles directly, seems to offer best price. Excellent service too

Check here
Jigwar
Past: \'51 plate
Present: \'06 plate TTET\'ed

Anonymous

Or e-tyres

Tags: