Rusting Brake DISCS?

Started by Anonymous, November 5, 2003, 11:16

Anonymous

Hey guys,

I think i have a problem, the discs on my car are rusting, its not the part that the pad makes contact with its the part between that and the hub, to start with it went white but now is looking VERY rusty and not at all nice.

Is this soemthing they'll sort under warranty?

Anonymous

Quote from: "bigun007"Is this soemthing they'll sort under warranty?
Yes!

Slacey

Bigun, at the risk of sounding abrasive, is it at all possible you could perform a search on all these questions you are asking first, please?
All of the things you have mentioned have been answered in deatail before - or are you just trying to get your post count up?
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Sorry dude - didn't realise  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Quote from: "Slacey"Bigun, at the risk of sounding abrasive, is it at all possible you could perform a search on all these questions you are asking first, please?

No they HAVEN'T hence my posts, you may THINK they have but they've not covered what i am asking.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey".....are you just trying to get your post count up?

Oh and i aint that sad...............quite   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Quote from: "Slacey".................or are you just trying to get your post count up?

Making it a nice welcoming friendly place are we.........?  s:x :x s:x

zud

My local dealer decided to clean and paint mine rather than replace them.  I didn't get a chance to argue, they just did it while the car was in for a service.  There's a year's warranty left to check the rust doesn't return, so i was happy enough with that.  Also, they look pretty good (a nice dark gun-metal grey), and i'd consider painting them the same if I ever need new ones!   s:D :D s:D
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Slacey

Quote from: "bigun007"Hey guys,

I think i have a problem, the discs on my car are rusting, its not the part that the pad makes contact with its the part between that and the hub, to start with it went white but now is looking VERY rusty and not at all nice.

Is this soemthing they'll sort under warranty?

Quote from: "bigun007"No they HAVEN'T hence my posts, you may THINK they have but they've not covered what i am asking.

http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=110

That thread came up in the first search I did - and it does answer your question of replacement under warranty.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Look mate - lets not try and "Score points" off one another.

This one i could have searched for, ok, point taken - BUT things change some1 might have been refused a replacement between then and now.

As i said mate - chill winston   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

GSB

Getting back on topic here...

In the past its been commonplace for the dealer to change both discs and pads when recieving this complaint. But clearly this is an expensive way of doing things that doesnt cure the problem. Obviously, in the end the rust will come back as they are changing like for like items, meaning that they will have to do the work agin in the future. SO, recently it would seem that instead of complete replacement, they are removing the discs, cleaning them, and then chemically treating them. This leaves the hubs looking a gunmetal grey colour. Its looks good, and hopefully will keep the rust at bay. Good news I'm sure you'll agree, unless you were just using it as an excuse to get a free set of new brakes, in which case you are out of luck.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

zud

Quote from: "GSB"SO, recently it would seem that instead of complete replacement, they are removing the discs, cleaning them, and then chemically treating them. This leaves the hubs looking a gunmetal grey colour. Its looks good, and hopefully will keep the rust at bay.

This place is so full of knowledge!!!  Do you know how the chemicals are applied?  Could they be used on brake calipers?  I might get round to doing the calipers one day, and reckon you could do worse than the colour of my treated hubs!
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

GSB

Quote from: "zud"This place is so full of knowledge!!!  Do you know how the chemicals are applied?  Could they be used on brake calipers?  I might get round to doing the calipers one day, and reckon you could do worse than the colour of my treated hubs!

Not a sodding clue  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   As for your brake calipers, they are of a different material so I would stick to the high temperture enamel paints currently used and available in your local Halfords.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

i will let you know thursday night as i have my car booked in on thursday to look at the same problem.as well as seatbelts wearing away the seat covers and other things.

Tags: