Apexi advice please

Started by Anonymous, November 5, 2003, 12:20

Anonymous

I have an Apexi induction kit winging it's way to me from Taka Kaira Inc.

Before I go ahead and fit it I'd like some advice on the level of induction noise I should expect at low revs.  I use the car a lot for business mileage and need to be able to talk on Handsfree (Jabra Bluetooth BT200) while driving....moderately.  

I already have the TTE twin pipes fitted which produces a *bit* of a bass note.  But generally they make very little discernable difference.  I need  more audible feedback as the car (had it 2 weeks and LOVE the handling vs. Elise and Golf GTI150) sounds strangely sterile....ridiculous even.

When does the growling start on the rev range?  Is there any difference at all below 4k revs?  can I expect some induction growl at lower down the rev range if I'm flooring the throttle?

Slacey

TBH, the noise only really kicks in when you floor it at higher revs, cruising isn't a problem - I have the TTE and Apexi and also use a Blurtooth headset with no problems - umless the roof is down!
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

if you want to hear what a TTE/REMUS and APEXI sounds like together (mostly under hard revs though!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  ) then take a look at this video we did after Chris had his installed:

m http://www.mr2-roadster.co.uk/videos/Apexi-Test.wmv m

RIGHT CLICK AND SAVE TARGET AS PLEASE!

Anonymous

Thanks for posting the link.  It's always difficult to get a good feel for what it actually sounds like through a camcorder but I can definitely tell that it only cuts in under hard acceleration.

The sound is what I want though - drowning out the camminess of the engine and replacing it with something that sounds faster and more expensive.

Which roads was this filmed on?  Some of them look very familiar.

Anonymous

and has anyone ever dyno'd this mod?  Is there a peak output change or any overall difference to the power curve?

Anonymous

Quote from: "rlack"Which roads was this filmed on?  Some of them look very familiar.

Umm... not my area, but its near where Markiii lives.... essex way somewhere i guess (i cant remember.... im getting old!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )

Anonymous

I fitted my kit on Friday just gone, all i can say is WOW!!

Firstly, I thought that Taka Kaira's service was excellent from ordering to receiving my product it took 9 days. Not sure if this is good for international mail order, but I was impressed anyway!

My advice for fitting the thing, is to fit it in the light!!! I started on friday when i got home from work and it was pitch black!! I had 2 friends over helping, one was holding 2 torches into the engine bay whilst we were ripping out the original filter!! Good fun though! The brackets are the only issue, but the whole install took us 2 hrs in the dark. I reckon it would only have taken us 90 mins had we off had proper light.

When I test drove my car after, it sounded perfectly normal in low revs (less than 3500rpm) but when u hit 4000 revs in 1st, 2nd and third, the beast really comes to life!!! I can only resemble this to a TVR, thats how nice it sounds!! I kid u not!! When u have the roof down and blast it, it sounds absolutley amazing!!! Best mod I could have bought!

regarding practicality, well, I do a lot of motorway travelling and driving the car normal, makes no difference regarding the noise, it only kicks in when u boot it, so no problem talking on the phone, unless u want to impress the person on the end of the phone!!    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D  

Im sure you will have no regrets with this piece of kit!! Let us know what u think....

Steve

Liz

Can you just get the cone for the A'PEXi from this supplier as the body shop tell me that mine got a bit mashed in the accident? Hope this is not too off subject Mr Moderators!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Slacey

Quote from: "Liz"Can you just get the cone for the A'PEXi from this supplier as the body shop tell me that mine got a bit mashed in the accident? Hope this is not too off subject Mr Moderators!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
You can Liz, and here's the issue - I found a UK supplier who quotes £50, they can be had from Taka Kaira for half that, but they quote a range of sizes on the webite and none of us are sure which one we need!
I have tried to find out, but with little success at the moment   s:( :( s:(
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Quote from: "rlack"Thanks for posting the link.  It's always difficult to get a good feel for what it actually sounds like through a camcorder but I can definitely tell that it only cuts in under hard acceleration.

Yep, that's the key; the sound increases with throttle position/engine load, rather than RPM. You can make it loud even at low revs by standing on the gas, and conversely (relatively) quiet at high revs by backing off.

Tags: