This squeaky clutch thing!!

Started by ccfc andy p, January 28, 2007, 13:38

ccfc andy p

Hi folks, new guy here.   s:D :D s:D   I've had my roadster for just over a year now and not really had too many probs...Until now!! I've got this squeaky clutch problem and have searched through the many posts detailing the various causes. So I raised the car and had a good look. Low and behold the rubber boot covering the actuator (???) has a large tear in it   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  and not a whole lot of grease (assuming that it should be toppers!!). I was wondering if any of you guys had this same problem and have any idea how to fit a new one. Is it big job or will MR T see me off big time?? Any ideas would be more than welcome!!  s:) :) s:)    s:) :) s:)
2001 MR2 Roadster (1D0), K&N Filter, JDM Badge (1D0), JDM Wheel Caps, TRD(style)Spoiler (fm USA), Negative Pre-Cats, Lockwood Door Sills, TRD Badge, Markiii inlet pipe, Simons indicators with trim,TTE rear grille, TRD bracing, C-One C/F side intakes, TTE lowering springs.....more 2 come!!!

Anonymous

I've got the same problem, had it for ages.

Only squeaks when clutch is depresed though

spit

Welcome to the ROC.

I take it you mean the piston cylinder boot, not the boot that the fork passes through into the bell housing? As far as I can tell the push rod and boot can be removed quite easily to replace the boot ... but if thats where the noise is coming from its probably down to a dried-out piston in the cylinder.

Disconnect the line, catch the fluid, remove the whole assembly and do it in the kitchen  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  The piston can be blown out of the assembly with an air line and inspected and regreased before reassembly and bleeding.

Theories as to whether its the cylinder or fork that causes this squeak still haven't given a definate answer (and some say its at the pedal end! - very hard to pin it down) .... so if that's the cause please let us know.  s8) 8) s8)
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

My local Mr T lubricated the clutch fork free of charge and this (fingers crossed) has stopped my clutch squeaking totally.

Got to the point were it was driving me insane so I'm relieved to say the least.  s8) 8) s8)

ccfc andy p

Many thanks for your warm welcome and prompt replies.  s:) :) s:)    s:) :) s:)  Had my glamorous assistant (wife) push clutch pedal whilst I was underneath rear and it definitely sounds like its coming from piston area. I think I'll take Spit's advice, drain down and re-grease. It will have to be next weekend though, as back to Plymouth till then (duty calls!) but will post and let you know how I get on.
2001 MR2 Roadster (1D0), K&N Filter, JDM Badge (1D0), JDM Wheel Caps, TRD(style)Spoiler (fm USA), Negative Pre-Cats, Lockwood Door Sills, TRD Badge, Markiii inlet pipe, Simons indicators with trim,TTE rear grille, TRD bracing, C-One C/F side intakes, TTE lowering springs.....more 2 come!!!

fstsven

Mine's been squeeking for ages; mechanics said it would be very hard to pin down and eridicate. Since it has no other negative side effects, I just leave it like that. You only hear it when you listen for it...
2004 fire red TOYOTA MR
K&N air filter
BLUEFLAME single exhaust
APEX progressive rate springs (-30mm)
3.ORACING breastplate
TOYO proxes R1R 205/50/15(f)-225/45/16(r)
25 kgs extra lightness

Chris_h

I have squeaky clutch, but seems weather dependent. Its hard to track down where its coming from, but its in the pedal / cable mech rather than something serious at the business end.

When its warmer, it disappears.
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

spit

TOTALLY off topic (sorry) - Chris - are you back in the '2 fold again? When, How, missed it!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

spit

Answers his own question ..... ahhh didn't you buy Nigel's car?

Back On Topic now please.

Nurse!

ccfc andy p

Hi folks, back home for weekend and guess what...problem solved.  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D   Before I took my car of the stands last week I decided to silicon grease up the area around where the fork enters the bell housing. Yep, that tear I thought I had turns out to be part of the rubber boot design.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   (There's a good post on Spyder chat if you search for "Clutch fork" that shows a picture of the set up). So after giving it good grease I took her for a spin for a few miles and the squeak got gradually quieter. The following day I drove to Plymouth and not a squeak. That was Monday, not a peep since.  s:) :) s:)  
Happy days. Many thanks to you guys for pointing me in the right direction. I feel as though a donation is in order and perhaps I'll get one of those ROC stickers to go along with the hundred other things I want to get for my '2. Just don't tell the misses!!!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Dont suppose you could put a link up to said page with picture of set up,
I've searched on spyder chat and cant find it.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

ccfc andy p

hi m8, this is one I used.
http://spyderchat.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=34297&highlight=clutch+fork
Hope that works, new to this posting thing  s:? :? s:?  . I'm sure if you search deeper there is a diagram of how the slave cylinder and the rest of this end of the clutch works. Like a diagram straight from the workshop manual. Hope I have been of help  s:) :) s:)    s:) :) s:)  .

Anonymous

yup, thats exactly where my squeak is, did you manage to get any lube inside the boot?

Did yours squeak when depressing the clutch or lifting off?

ccfc andy p

I managed to get silicon grease in the boot by using a syringe (misses is a nurse!)  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  . It only squeaked when I pushed down on the clutch, in neutral and in gear. Hope you get it cracked, it anoyed the hell out of me!!!  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Anonymous

TELL ME ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

My local grease monkey lubed it before though and the squeak went away for about 3 weeks, then came back  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

strange how it only squeaks when being pushed down though, mines the same.

Can you send your missis here with her syringe  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

My clutch has been fine until I came out of the supermarket today and started hearing this squeak every time I press the clutch.

I depressedd it with the rear engine cover (bonnet?) up and it was coming from somewhere towards the front LHS of the engine bay.

Since my car is still under warranty....is this something I can expect to be remedied by Mr T?

It's very annoying  s:x :x s:x  

Thanks

Patrick

Two's Company

Quote from: "stupidmia"Since my car is still under warranty....is this something I can expect to be remedied by Mr T?

Yes, I had the squeeky clutch fixed under warranty.

Antman

Hi Patrick,

I had the squeaky clutch problem and Mr. T replaced the whole clutch assembly under warranty!
Ex - 2006 Lagoon Blue with black leather interior, K&N filter, J-spec nose badge, CLUB STICKER, TTE hoop for the bling!

Now - Porsche Boxster S, Arctic Silver - awaiting funds for mods!

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies.

Would you believe it.....just been out in the 2 again and the squeak has gone  s:? :? s:?  

I will definitely be keeping an ear out for it.....coz I imagine Mr T won't believe me unless they hear it for themselves.

It was so pronounced earlier!

Anonymous

This must be a toyota thing  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

My new rav4 has a slight a squeak with the clutch  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Chris

well in the veing of the current bank advert, the simple answer is to get an smt - then you won't have a clutch pedal to push!!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s8) 8) s8)
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Mad Bob

I had the cylinder lubed up and it had no affect on the noise. I went to toyota who advised I needed a new slave cyliner, I then went to another garage who said that I needed a new clutch.

I took it to a garage where my mate works (as an apprentice) and advised them to replace the clutch and I was fed up with the noise and was willing to just pay the £350 or so for it. Then one of the mechanics just lubed something and the noise went for a month.

I asked my mate what the part was and to order a new one to which he advised that it was some sort of ball joint, (not in the gear box or anything) he couldn't really explain it as I had no idea what he was on about. He said he would try and get the part number from toyota (Who quoted about £220 for a new one) so I could post it here and see if it would help any one else who is having the same issue, but they would not give it out for some reason.

I just wondered if anyone has any idea from the information I have given, what this part is. I will try and get a photo.

Its a pain, as a bit of grease helps for a couple of weeks, then it just comes back. I was wondering if getting the new part would prevent it, or whether its just a result of crap getting in the joint causing it to grind again.
Converse Boot!

kanujunkie

at the gearbox end theres 2 ball joints, 1 is on the end of the actuator where it connects to the fork and the other is inside the bell houseing. The one inside the bell houseing is accessible by gently pulling out the boot and sliding it down the fork, you should be able to then see inside the bell housing with a mirror and torch, with a bit of fart arseing about you may be able to grease it up but if not then it may need the box off.
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

ccfc andy p

Hello Folks,
As this thread has come back to life I would just like to add that since I've done the silicon grease thing I've not heard a peep from it since.  That's a whole year and nearly 15000 miles, so give it go before running off to your nearest garage and losing your hard earned !

Mad Bob

Quote from: "kanujunkie"at the gearbox end theres 2 ball joints, 1 is on the end of the actuator where it connects to the fork and the other is inside the bell houseing. The one inside the bell houseing is accessible by gently pulling out the boot and sliding it down the fork, you should be able to then see inside the bell housing with a mirror and torch, with a bit of fart arseing about you may be able to grease it up but if not then it may need the box off.

I will find out exactly which one it is, For the time being I am just going to get it greased again... I will post a photo when I can, I was just wondering what may cause the sqeak as I dont want to get the part replaced if it will just return, and also dont want to spend the rest of my ownership getting it greased every month.
Converse Boot!

Tags: