wheres he coolant over flow??

Started by Anonymous, January 30, 2007, 17:11

Anonymous

have just been fitting a nice new bling coolant resovoir and I had a thought   s:idea: :idea: s:idea:   wheres our over flow pipe ?  is it at the rad end or just the presssure release valve on the cap?

loadswine

I think mine just comes out of the plastic header tank at the top, though somebody(poss Stu) told me that mine looked unusual.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

spit

I thought it was a closed system  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  There's a bleed point on the rad, and one for the heater behind the front bin, and apart from a couple of drain points, that's it.

Small pipe at the top of the reservoir - could that be a pressure overflow?

*edit - mine is clearly unusual too then Nigel  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   *
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

loadswine

That's what it must be Ste!
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

looking at the stock bottle, there two pipes (top and bottom) but are both part of the sealed coolant system.

also looking at the cap its not far off a normal sealed cap unlike a radiator cap thats set at 1 bar or what ever?

I suppose the rad cap at the front would be a relief valve

markiii

there is no rad cap at the front

quite surprised me that did
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

muffdan

it is a closed system. After some idiot fitted my aux belt pulley wrong and it fell off whilst I was driving stalling my water pump, my coolant seriously overheated causing the reservior cap to 'pop'. This sprayed coolant absolutely everywhere, blew a few fuses  s:( :( s:(
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Anonymous

thats a bit worrying then if the only safety we have is the plastic cap on the bottle?  going to have to have a rethink as the alloy bottle i have only has a normal screw cap - bugger    s:( :( s:(  

need to put a relief valve of sorts  in somewhere   s:? :? s:?

aaronjb

It's ok Perry - when one of the coolant hoses comes flying off at great speed and evacuates the coolant system....

Your safety valve just blew..

s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

thats ok then   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Jap GT300

It's not a closed system.  The overflow is a small opening at the top of the reservoir.  It does work and steams when you start overheating, don't ask how i know.

Anonymous

cheers adam  s;) ;) s;)

I changed direction in the end, I've replaced/moved the stock bottle and used the new tank as a catch can, luckily the 'nozzles' on the can are movable so could set it up in catch can format   s:) :) s:)

just need to bleed the system now

Tags: