Using the carwash

Started by Anonymous, November 5, 2003, 21:13

Anonymous

DONT DO IT

I know we all get tempted, it's cold, it's dark and the car needs a wash but DONT DO IT.

I did and live to regret it on my old MK1, there is no way I would put a Roadster through one. DONT DO IT.

Wash it by hand, touch it, feel it, love it.  DONT DO IT

I do mine every week, by hand, rinse, wash, rinse, leather and polish front bumper, bonnet and wing mirrors every time.  Now I know my neighbours and all the little blemishes.

Please DONT DO IT

Anonymous

I'd tend to disagree with most of the posts here.

I put mine through the brush carwash last Saturday (somewhat nervously), bootlid spoiler and all.  I had no problems whatsoever.  Not a scratch, mark, tear or leak in sight.

I gave it the full-monty and will be doing it again soon.  If there's ever a problem then I know I can claim against the garage.

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "rlack"If there's ever a problem then I know I can claim against the garage.

RTFM my friend. It says that not to take the car through a carwash. Any damage and you will have to pay.

Anonymous

No - my friend.  My carwash - and many that I've seen these days don't say that.  They say that they can not be held liable if the carwash is being misused, or if any of the following use it:

vehicles wikth roof spoilers
pick up trucks
vehicles with aerials that are not fully retracted
...neither of the above apply to me

Bottom line is that any notice that says they are not responsible for damage is not legal under the Sale of Goods Act.  Since goods and services must be fit for the purpose which they are sold and of merchantable quality.  I am therefore protected by my statutory rights.

Equally any sign that says 'no refunds' or 'the management will not be held liable for any lost or stolen property' are not legal in the UK.

I already made one succesful claim against a carwash for cracking the headlamp on my A4.  They were happy to pay up.

I don't see what TFM has to do with it.  What has my owners manual got to do with the liability of the carwash owner?  Are they in business together?

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "rlack"I don't see what TFM has to do with it.  What has my owners manual got to do with the liability of the carwash owner?  Are they in business together?

The manual says not to use a carwash. You take your 2 through a carwash and it is damaged. The garage will fill out a claim form which will go through their insurers. The insurers will look into it.

Then they will come back to you and say that you were instructed not to use a carwash, and damage was due to your negligence and that they are not liable for any subsequent damage caused.

You will then look at your own insurance as you don't want to pay to have your roof fixed. They will also say "no way".

Anonymous

Before this turns in to a slanging match - here is my suggestion

You all own your own cars, make your own choices based on your own observations and take the risks on yourself.

My personal opinion is not to use a car wash - based purely on the fact that the manual does state not to.  It does also clearly state use un-leaded fuel - now how many of you would use leaded because someone else said it would be fine?!

Tem

Quote from: "cstevens"My personal opinion is not to use a car wash - based purely on the fact that the manual does state not to.  It does also clearly state use un-leaded fuel - now how many of you would use leaded because someone else said it would be fine?!

Bit offtopic, but I thought leaded fuel is banned in Europe these days...aren't they using other substitutes for it? And if you really, really need just lead, you can buy it in different bottles and mix it yourself. You can't fit those "leaded" gas pump hoses in the tank anyway though...

I'll be avoiding car washes too. Not because the manual says...I bet that tells a lot of no's just to be able to say "We said so". But they do scratch the paintwork, might not be visible after 10 or 20 times, but it will show.

Also, JMHO, everyone can do what they want. Some might not care about the paintwork, some might prefer repainting it every year anyway. Doesn't bother me  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

zud

Quote from: "rlack"I'd tend to disagree with most of the posts here.

I put mine through the brush carwash last Saturday (somewhat nervously), bootlid spoiler and all.  I had no problems whatsoever.  Not a scratch, mark, tear or leak in sight.

I gave it the full-monty and will be doing it again soon.  If there's ever a problem then I know I can claim against the garage.

I think what a lot of some people are saying here is that the brushes flail the paint and leave tiny swirls/marks.  Now, personally I think that's true and I won't use a carwash. But it's not clear-cut damage like a cracked headlight, so I doubt you'd get the owners to agree that it was damage caused by their carwash... so I doubt you'd get any recompense.  But if you believe that those marks aren't caused by a carwash, or don't care because they're not easy to see anyway, then use the carwash.  Similarly, I suspect John might be right about using Karcher washers... but I'll continue to use mine!  Each to their own.

[plug]Anyone in the Cheam area, needing their car washed tomorrow, bring it to the Gleesons building on the London Road, North Cheam.  We're doing a car wash for Children in Need.  Not sure of the cost, but I'll take extra care of any 2s   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  [/plug]
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Tags: