Best way to improve engine note?

Started by Anonymous, February 3, 2007, 23:32

Anonymous

One small thing about my MR2 which I would like to improve is that of the engine note -- it's a bit uninspiring.

It hasn't been through the same fine tuning to get that authentic 1960s sound that Mazda did with the MX5.

I know it'll never sound like a Triumph Stag (with its original non-rover V8 of course), but what's the best steps to take to improve the engine note?  Is it simply to get new exhaust?  If so which one sounds the best (I don't particularly care about getting more BHP)...  anything else that can be done?

Cheers.

kanujunkie

exhaust or forced induction will do the job
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

rtbiscuit

i am working towards it at the mo.

i had an H & S twin exhaust fitted first, noise increase i thought not that noticable until you hit about 3000 rpm, and on start up only when the engine is warm.

have now combined that with an apexi cone induction. noise is better especially under hard acceleration.

will soon be fitting a che manifold, i believe it lowers the note a little more and gives you exhaust popples on change down in gear.

i believe Liz ran a similar setup on her old 2, and ekona said it was one of the best sounding 2's around.

hope this helps.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

muffdan

the SP decat pipe give a real nice burble!
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Anonymous

Totally agree about the SP exhaust/decat combo it sounds fantastic on my car. It has changed the whole way the car sounds with burbling and farting sounds. I would recomend this option.

Anonymous

For a start try the free option of taking off the stock air inlet pipe. You will need to remove the rear light unit and washer bottle to get at it. The light has a locating lug, just ease it out carefully. The whole job will only take 10 minutes max.

On my car the performance and sound difference is fantastic, especially when the air temperature is low.

kanujunkie

that wont change it much on its own, did you fit the k&n at the same time?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

markiii

Quote from: "kanujunkie"that wont change it much on its own, did you fit the k&n at the same time?

your kidding? it makes a huge duifference
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

didn't on mine  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

markiii

how odd
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Sounds strange, but with the air intake mod the gear shifting seems smoother, performance seems to be improved a tiny bit and there is induction noise without a doubt!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Roger H"For a start try the free option of taking off the stock air inlet pipe. You will need to remove the rear light unit and washer bottle to get at it. The light has a locating lug, just ease it out carefully. The whole job will only take 10 minutes max.

On my car the performance and sound difference is fantastic, especially when the air temperature is low.

Sounds good - for free - might try this.  However, is there any disadvantage to doing this?  Does hotter air get into the engine from the engine compartment - does more dust get into the filter?  I am from the 'no such thing as free lunch' school of thought...  so what's the trade off?

Cheers   s:) :) s:)

markiii

air temp will go up slightly

filter life will be reduced

Anonymous

So, not recommended then....  or worth it ....      s:? :? s:?  

Doesn't hotter air mean worse running?

markiii

much in teh same way that an apexi is a noise first mod,

with a slight perfromance decrease

so is this

Anonymous

... and the nicer noise makes you think your car is faster..., gotcha!

Cheers.

loadswine

The Apexi induction kit has to be the best noise mod. Put a decent exhaust on as well and you ahve an ace sounding machine. Wish my turbo sounded as good as my last 2 which was n/a and had the apexi and a magnex twin exhaust. The Magnex was particularly good at giving a nice low burble in the lower revs and when you opened it up, the apexi gave out a brilliant induction growl that raised in pitch with the revs.
Nice!  s8) 8) s8)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

trebor

This is my first ever post on here!

After much research on this forum I decided to remove the intake pipe - just to hear how different the sound was. looks easy....

undid the 2 screws holding the rear light on - but it wouldn't come off! it was held back by something on the left hand side - I jiggled it up and down and side to side - nope!

I see there is mention of a retaining lug - how do you get the light off this? - without breaking it? The inlet pipe also seems to be held to the bottom of the washer bottle bracket with an immpossible to get at screw...

Any advise would be more than welcome

oh - its a 2003 (facelift) smt by the way

thanks

Bob
2003 SMT. Astral Black de-badged except for Likwid Art rear badge, JDM front badge. JDM wheel caps, JDM steering wheel badge, JDM style side repeaters. mongos. TTE lowering springs

Anonymous

Gently pull and wiggle - There's a sweet angle at which it should come out.

The coolant reservoir (not washer fluid btw)  is easily removed by one screw near it's top which secures it. IIRC The bolt under the reservoir is just a little plastic c-clamp thingy which just pulls out anyway.

Anonymous

Quote from: "trebor"undid the 2 screws holding the rear light on - but it wouldn't come off! it was held back by something on the left hand side - I jiggled it up and down and side to side - nope!

I see there is mention of a retaining lug - how do you get the light off this? - without breaking it?

On the LH side  there's a prong that goes into a grommet, lift the RH side of the light and pull it towards the centre, just get butch with it.

Quote from: "trebor"The inlet pipe also seems to be held to the bottom of the washer bottle bracket with an immpossible to get at screw...

That confused me at first. The screw just holds a rubber grommet in place, where the inlet pipe attaches to it is open sided, it can just be pulled away from the grommet.

trebor

Quote from: "simonp"The coolant reservoir (not washer fluid btw)  .

OOPS!    ... and thanks!
2003 SMT. Astral Black de-badged except for Likwid Art rear badge, JDM front badge. JDM wheel caps, JDM steering wheel badge, JDM style side repeaters. mongos. TTE lowering springs

Anonymous

Quote from: "Roger H"For a start try the free option of taking off the stock air inlet pipe. You will need to remove the rear light unit and washer bottle to get at it. The light has a locating lug, just ease it out carefully. The whole job will only take 10 minutes max.

Guys - I removed the air inlet pipe this afternoon.  This does make a difference to the sound of the car under acceleration as documented elsewhere on the forum - it certainly sounds better than before, and I can't notice a drop or gain in performance.

The question is, if I leave it off, should I tell the insurance?  I'd tell them if I replaced it with a modified one, but as for just removing something?

Thing is, it is not  so much about the money, but more about confusing them - I don't want to confuse them (they had a problem understanding the leather seats in my car were not a modification!), and so I reckon this would just freak them out...

Your views?

Cheers!

markiii

removing it definately not tell them

remember to change your air filter more often though, it will get dirtier quicker

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"removing it definately not tell them

remember to change your air filter more often though, it will get dirtier quicker

Cheers - that is what I was thinking....  Air filter was changed 2K miles ago at service (or so they told me - I'm a bit cynical of main dealers), but will keep an eye on it.

This might be a temporary mod, as (If I keep the car - debating this at the mo) I am going to get SP or similar exhaust fitted and then will see how this sounds with and without the pipe.

Of course, I might also be interested in one of your custom pipes at some stage too, and then will have to brave that call to insurance!

Anonymous

My friend and I have  custom Borla ProXs offset/offset muffler's on our cars, they sound amazing. Very deep sounding, not sure if there is any large power increse though they flow much better than stock.
 m http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PChfBKw3iPo m  that's a video of our car's his is the white, mines yellow, he has gutted precats and an AEM CAI while I have the Che manifold.   Hope this helps, I love the way the exhaust sounds, I haven't added an intake yet and when I do it will most likely be just a filter.
-Joseph

Tags: