Clutch & flywheel

Started by Tem, November 6, 2003, 11:34

Tem

My clutch is very worn...it has already been scraping the flywheel...and I don't think I want just a set of new stock parts.

Didn't find much with search...does anyone have aftermarket parts and how do you like them?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Slacey

I'm not sure anyone here is, Tem - some of the guys on SC are running TODA flywheels and uprated clutches, but I'm sure you've already looked there   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

I recall SteveJ mentioned that mph has a lightweight flywheel.

Tem

Yeah...I'm just browsing SC...just curious about "local" ppl  s:) :) s:)

mph

Quote from: "Tem"Didn't find much with search...does anyone have aftermarket parts and how do you like them?
If you're not running more power, I can't really see the point in using an uprated clutch plate. However, since you're in there replacing the clutch plate (with whatever), you might as well replace the flywheel with something significantly lighter.

I'm using the one that PPE Engineering sells. Not quite the lightest, but is half the weight of the stock item. The SMT isn't thrilled with the uprated clutch plate but does pretty much cope with it, while it doesn't have any problems with the flywheel.

Overall I do really like the effects the lightened flywheel has, but they may not be for everyone's taste.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "mph"If you're not running more power

I'm not...but I see a TTE turbo in the future, or something else if that fails. So I'm just preparing, while I have to change parts anyway.

Slacey

Quote from: "mph"Overall I do really like the effects the lightened flywheel has, but they may not be for everyone's taste.
I'm assuming the main benefit is that it allows the engine to rev up quicker, why do you think some may not like it? (just interested!)

Tem

Quote from: "Slacey"why do you think some may not like it?

Some say it's easier to stall the car on launch with one...which is true, if your typical launch is letting the clutch go at idle without touching the throttle  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

GSB

I think theres a UK based guy on SC whose been tyring to get rid of a lightened flywheel and uprated clutch for quite a while. He's also got the LEDA suspesion set for sale if I recall correctly.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

GSB

Here it is! http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7255

Doesn't say if its sold or not though...?
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Slacey

QuoteTODA Lightweight Flywheel £175

Blimey! How much are they new?!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Tem

New TODA flywheel is listed as $450...that would be roughly £225.

Slacey

Quote from: "Tem"New TODA flywheel is listed as $450...that would be roughly £225.
Thats a lot of money for whats essentially a big cog!

Tem

Yeah  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Well, the JUN flywheel is 4.5kg for $325... (TODA is 4.4kg)

Then again, TRD is 4.5kg for...are you sitting down?...$900  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

(TRD price is with shipping+taxes though)

Slacey

Typical TuRD ripoff price I see...   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

mph

Quote from: "Slacey"I'm assuming the main benefit is that it allows the engine to rev up quicker, why do you think some may not like it? (just interested!)
Yes, the engine revs much quicker - and equally, there's much more engine drag when you take your foot off the accelerator. Thus, balancing the throttle is a more delicate affair with a lightened flywheel.
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

Anonymous

My non-engineering understanding is that a lighter flywheel doesn't have the same inertia as the stock one, meaning that the forces generated through the crankshft by the pistons are not dampened or smoothed out resulting in a 'rougher ride' from the engine (BTW 'ride' is the not right expression but am struggling to find a better one). The upside is the lower inertia  means the flywheel soaks up less of the force/power generated by the engine, meaning a bit more energy than before is transmitted through to the wheels quicker resulting in quicker acceleration .... I think   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "Slacey"why do you think some may not like it?

Some say it's easier to stall the car on launch with one...

I have enough problems not stalling when pulling away with a stock drivetrain.  Shudder to think what I'd do with a lightweight one.

Tem

I guess I'll be going for the TRD parts...Teiwa gives a 20% discount for them  s8) 8) s8)  (and were the fastest to reply, I'm in a hurry)

TODA Flywheel 4.4kg 390e
TOMS Flywheel 3.8kg 450e
ACT Clutch Sets roughly 300-350e

TRD Flywheel 4.5kg 350e
TRD Clutch Cover 170e
TRD Sports Facing Clutch Disc 100e

Shipping for the three 180e

mph

Don't forget you'll need to replace the flywheel bolts - so see if you can get those thrown in for a discounted price too, they ain't cheap!
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

Tem

Can't they reuse the current bolts?

"It is required to use Toyota Genuine fly wheel set bolts."

mph

Nope, they're once only use as you stretch them when fitting.
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

Tem

Quote from: "mph"Nope, they're once only use as you stretch them when fitting.

Now I'm confused...some say it's ok to reuse them, if you use Loctite or some other "thread glue"...

mph

The workshop manual marks them as "Non-reusable part". The procedure for tightening is that use first torque them to 49N-m (500kgf-cm, 36ft-lbf) then turn them a further 90 degrees.

Considering the danger if even one of the heads sheared off, do you really want to risk it?
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

Tem

Quote from: "mph"Considering the danger if even one of the heads sheared off, do you really want to risk it?

No.

And Toyota was very clear about this as well, they said there's no sense to reuse the old bolts.

Tags: