o2 sensors

Started by Anonymous, February 6, 2007, 14:53

Anonymous

does any one know anything , about o2 sensors and how to change them.  s:( :( s:(   any answers would be greatful.

Anonymous

Quote from: "jonny-boy"does any one know anything , about o2 sensors and how to change them.

Only that Mr T will take about 2.5k to replace all the parts.....  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Jigwar

Welcome jonny-boy.

There is a vast amount of information on all things O2 sensor related available through using the Search facility.

In summary, you'll find information on the error codes that'll be thrown up when one goes wrong, details of places to get an O2 sensor socket (e.g.  w www.gendan.co.uk w ) for removing the sensor and details of where to get replacement sensors (also Gendan). Also tips for the removal process itself, including getting particularly stubborn sensors out by applying plusgas, and tips for fitting a new one, which are centred around being careful not to cross-thread.

HTH

Steve
Jigwar
Past: \'51 plate
Present: \'06 plate TTET\'ed

Anonymous

who mr t

Anonymous

Quote from: "jonny-boy"who mr t

The Toyota garage....sorry!

I had all 3 of mine fail within weeks of each other....bad diagnostic in the first place by the garage (Arnold Clark, Aberdeen) IMHO, but I was covered by a warranty, so it wasn't all bad....

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jigwar"Welcome jonny-boy.

There is a vast amount of information on all things O2 sensor related available through using the Search facility.

In summary, you'll find information on the error codes that'll be thrown up when one goes wrong, details of places to get an O2 sensor socket (e.g.  w www.gendan.co.uk w ) for removing the sensor and details of where to get replacement sensors (also Gendan). Also tips for the removal process itself, including getting particularly stubborn sensors out by applying plusgas, and tips for fitting a new one, which are centred around being careful not to cross-thread.

HTH

Steve

thanks jigwar cause toytoa wants £300 to fix mine, told them where to last night.

Jigwar

Quote from: "jonny-boy"thanks jigwar cause toytoa wants £300 to fix mine, told them where to last night.

Yes, Toyota are always going to be more expensive than DIY, so hopefully you'll be glad you found this place because there is a real wealth of knowledge here. That is until you starting spending more on too tempting mods   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Anyway, sensor socket is ~£8, sensors are ~£30. So even if replacing all 3 (which I can't imagine you'll have to - do you have an error code or problem description?) you'll still only be at the £100 mark doing it yourself.

Steve
Jigwar
Past: \'51 plate
Present: \'06 plate TTET\'ed

Anonymous

on the subject of o2 sensors, what size thread are they does anyone know? need to get a new one put in my sp decat pipe for my afr meter.

spit

M18 x 1.5
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

andywood

Quote from: "jonny-boy"

HTH

Steve

thanks jigwar cause toytoa wants £300 to fix mine, told them where to last night.

I assume from the price that Mr T are quoting you, they want to change both o2 sensors in the exhaust manifold by the pre-cats. This sounds a little strange to me, as it is unlikely that both sensors would fail at the same time.
Would question them regarding the fault codes (p-codes) being flagged and what diagnosis they have undertaken to confirm that both are NG and need replacing.
o2 sensor failures are often a sign that something else is wrong so watch out and make sure that they fix the real problem.

Good luck!
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

Anonymous

Quote from: "andywood"
Quote from: "jonny-boy"

HTH

Steve

I assume from the price that Mr T are quoting you, they want to change both o2 sensors in the exhaust manifold by the pre-cats. This sounds a little strange to me, as it is unlikely that both sensors would fail at the same time.
Would question them regarding the fault codes (p-codes) being flagged and what diagnosis they have undertaken to confirm that both are NG and need replacing.
o2 sensor failures are often a sign that something else is wrong so watch out and make sure that they fix the real problem.

Good luck!

What I forgot to say earlier was that my CAT was also f**ked....

spit

Quote from: "in an allied thread, jonny-boy"thanks for your comments so far , would it be easyier to get the sensor out if the engine has running been a while
It might be psychological, but i've always found it easiest once the car has cooled enough to get in there without setting fire to the hairs on your arm - so perhaps there is a bit of expansion/contraction rate advantage to that approach?
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

A friend has got some new universal O2 sensors and needs to wire them in. Universal has 2 x white, 1 x black, 1 x grey and original is 2 x black, 1 x white, 1 x blue.

Anyone knows which join to which?

Link to sensor  m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=015 m

Tem

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"A friend has got some new universal O2 sensors and needs to wire them in. Universal has 2 x white, 1 x black, 1 x grey and original is 2 x black, 1 x white, 1 x blue.

Anyone knows which join to which?

Here you go:  s8) 8) s8)
 m http://www.cats-direct-shop.co.uk/lambd ... advice.php m
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Thanks Tem you are a star   s:D :D s:D

Hugo

Hi all
I`m going to fit 2 universal sensors over the weekend, just one more query regarding the wiring.
Does it matter which way round the heater wires go? On the loom the are 2 different  coloured heater wires, on the sensor there are 2 black ones?
I`ve done a search but nothing concrete has come up.
Thanks Tony
2003 MR2 Lagoon blue A/C/leather [ SOLD]
2003 TVR Tamora,[373 bhp]
2006 Fiesta ST150.now sold. 2000 Ford Puma Millenium number 64 of 1000

Anonymous

Quote from: "Hugo"Hi all
I`m going to fit 2 universal sensors over the weekend, just one more query regarding the wiring.
Does it matter which way round the heater wires go? On the loom the are 2 different  coloured heater wires, on the sensor there are 2 black ones?
I`ve done a search but nothing concrete has come up.
Thanks Tony

No it doesn't matter.

Hugo

Well i fitted 2 new universal sensors today the precat ones in the engine bay, and with in 2 miles the engine light is back on  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  When the car was diagnosed they said some thing about up stream and down stream sensors(non mr T garage BTW) which meant nothing to me, so i decided to change the 2 in the engine bay to be on the safe side, i realised just as i was finishing the job that i hadn`t disconnected the battery, i disconnected the battery soon after and left it for 10/15 mins, have i done any thing wrong? and which of the sensors are more likely to fail, the engine bay ones or the one low down on the near side?
Any further advise or should i just change the lower sensor? Has any one actually had any joy with universal sensors??

aaronjb

My advice would be to get the codes read and actually find out what they are this time.  Without knowing what the code is you're really shooting in the dark - as you've just found.  Heck, you've no way of knowing if it's the same code or a different one even.

I doubt anyone here has seen a statistically significant number of failures to say any sensor fails first on average, and yes, people have used universal sensors with success.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Hugo

Quote from: "aaronjb"My advice would be to get the codes read and actually find out what they are this time.  Without knowing what the code is you're really shooting in the dark - as you've just found.  Heck, you've no way of knowing if it's the same code or a different one even.

I doubt anyone here has seen a statistically significant number of failures to say any sensor fails first on average, and yes, people have used universal sensors with success.

Well Aaron, i took your advise and had Mr T  look at the 2, the codes came up for ALL THREE SENSORS!!, they were concerned about the Tesco fuel situation, but the light has been on for months  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  so i dismissed that one, the only thing i can think of is i have some how wired both the engine bay sensors wrong? very doubtful mind, and the sensor in the down pipe is at fault, by trying to save a few ££ it looks like i have given my self a big head ache  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:   Any suggestions? should i rewire the original sensors back in? god knows, Mr T wants to fit 3 sensors, i didn`t ask how much, might have to remortgage first  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

SimonC_Here

Check the fuse!

Engine bay, left side at the back.
Push the clip on the far side and it pops off towards you.
Check the 7.5 amp fuses (brown) starting from the one nearest to you on the right hand side.

Simon

mikelrob

my engine had been burning oil to the tune of 3 ltr every thou miles, that sent the o2 sensors into a fit. nothin wrong wit them just a contaminent in the exhaust from the engine.

unfortunately i only found out cause there was so much oil burnt that there was none to lube the big ends and they went. puttin a new set into them soon, only stripped them out today.

better keep an eye on the oil level cos the pressure light dont warn you quick enuf mate.

Anonymous

Quote from: "mikelrob"my engine had been burning oil to the tune of 3 ltr every thou miles, that sent the o2 sensors into a fit. nothin wrong wit them just a contaminent in the exhaust from the engine.

unfortunately i only found out cause there was so much oil burnt that there was none to lube the big ends and they went. puttin a new set into them soon, only stripped them out today.

better keep an eye on the oil level cos the pressure light dont warn you quick enuf mate.

You might want to do a bit of searching, you have the classic failure of the 1zz engine. Also check the bores I think you might find they may not be round - hence the oil burning. Also do you still have the pre-cat fitted in the manifold or by the sounds of it they may have removed themselves due to oil lose. Again do a search of pre-cat failure - you will learn a lot more.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Rob

Hugo

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"Check the fuse!

Engine bay, left side at the back.
Push the clip on the far side and it pops off towards you.
Check the 7.5 amp fuses (brown) starting from the one nearest to you on the right hand side.

Simon

Good shout  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   Fuse is blown, now replaced, we will take it for a run and report back  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Hugo

s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(   came back on after about 10 miles  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Tags: