Che exhaust power figures... +6 bhp! (now with sound clips)

Started by ChrisGB, February 13, 2007, 18:56

Anonymous

Quote from: "spit"Thanks for the preview on the shield Rob. Sexeh!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Here you go, just loaded it up on photo bucket.

Again just needs finishing.

Rob

ChrisGB

Seems a shame to have to cover it up Rob. Apart from the equal length primaries, what other differences are there compared to the Che manifold? Pipe diameters particularly, but anything else you have noticed as well.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Anonymous

Quote from: "ChrisGB"Seems a shame to have to cover it up Rob. Apart from the equal length primaries, what other differences are there compared to the Che manifold? Pipe diameters particularly, but anything else you have noticed as well.

Chris

Hi Chris

The heat shield was one of the conditions I set when I started to talk to Zero about the design. I ran without the heat shield when I ran the Che and found it getting a bit hot.

The pipe diameters are a lot bigger 1 5/8" going into a 1 3/4" collector chamber which will allow the gases to flow a lot smoother.

Also the mounting flanges are 10mm 304 ss, I had great problems with distortion of the main flange when I used the gasket supplied, I went back to the original Toyota gasket which corrected the problem.

You will find eventually the mounting flanges will rust, not sure if they have used a low grade 410 ss or it's Carbon steel chrome plated.

As I've said all along the Che serves it's purpose, it removes those pre-cats and gives a slight performance increase, I think when you want to push it further, as Roger tried, it will work against you, which I think is due to the small pipe size used.

I could be speaking a load of b******ks if the dyno comes out crap.

Rob

markiii

Rob,

With regard to teh wider primaries, was this based on math? i.e were they calculated? or is this based ons someones assumption that bigger is better?

cheers
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Wabbitkilla

"I could be speaking a load of b******ks if the dyno comes out crap."

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:     s8) 8) s8)  

So Rob, when are you likely to have had this on the dyno?
Nice shiny looking piece of kit btw - quite impressed!
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"Rob,

With regard to the wider primaries, was this based on math? i.e were they calculated? or is this based ons someones assumption that bigger is better?

cheers

Hi Mark

It was based on Zero's experience of manufacturing these types of items, plus the best size for the pipe radius that can be manufactured, if you go to tight then you get hot spots which will cause cracking.

Not sure if maths were involved  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  You would need to ask Zero that question.

Rob

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla""I could be speaking a load of b******ks if the dyno comes out crap."

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:     s8) 8) s8)  

So Rob, when are you likely to have had this on the dyno?
Nice shiny looking piece of kit btw - quite impressed!

Thanks Nick  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Not sure yet, I'm in Norway next week, plus it's got to have a service first, so it's just a case of trying to fit it in before Donnington  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Rob

Liz

ChrisGB In response to your question here:

Quote from: "ChrisGB"Hi to All

Just curious, what is the highest dyno results are for 1zz powered N/A cars that still have the main cat? Anyone run Unichip or similar on stock maniflod and exhaust? How did it go on the dyno?

Figures and mods please!

Chris

Here the dyno from my previous car- mods: A'pexi intake, gutted precats (same as the Che header), main cat in place, H & S Exhaust.

Sorry about the quality of the print but you can read it.  I do believe that our Simon_C got 158BHP IIRC.

Hope you appreciate that it took me ages to find it...right, now I am off to fit my short shifter - pre prepared for a phone call Rich!!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

rtbiscuit

i'm primed and ready,

biscuit recovery service is on 1 hour standby
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Liz"ChrisGB In response to your question here:

Just curious, what is the highest dyno results are for 1zz powered N/A cars that still have the main cat? Anyone run Unichip or similar on stock maniflod and exhaust? How did it go on the dyno?

Figures and mods please!

Chris

Here the dyno from my previous car- mods: A'pexi intake, gutted precats (same as the Che header), main cat in place, H & S Exhaust.

Sorry about the quality of the print but you can read it.  I do believe that our Simon_C got 158BHP IIRC.

Hope you appreciate that it took me ages to find it...right, now I am off to fit my short shifter - pre prepared for a phone call Rich!!

Hi Liz

I appreciate it very much. They are pretty high figures. Is that with or without a chip?

And good luck fitting the short shifter.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Liz

There are two plots on the chart - wthout lighter line - with darker line.

If you fancy feeling real torque in a MR2 come out for a ride in mine! You are meeting Richard soon, I only live up the road from him.

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Liz"There are two plots on the chart - wthout lighter line - with darker line.

If you fancy feeling real torque in a MR2 come out for a ride in mine! You are meeting Richard soon, I only live up the road from him.

Noooo, please dont tempt me. Oh alright then. Up to anything Weds night?

Chris

Liz

Quote from: "ChrisGB"
Quote from: "Liz"There are two plots on the chart - wthout lighter line - with darker line.

Chris

Got to be up for early turn the next day - what time you thinking?

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Liz"
Quote from: "ChrisGB"

Chris

Got to be up for early turn the next day - what time you thinking?

Would need to be early I think as I am dropping someone off at 6:30 in Braintree. Cannot say for sure yet as I may have to be somewhere important  on Weds instead. Will know more tomorrow evening hopefully.

Chris

rtbiscuit

early is fine.

Previous cars:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"gutted precats (same as the Che header),

I wouldn't agree with that. The difference between the Che header and stock (+/- precats) is really quite marked. Lighter, stainless steel, it's a wider bore, removes the massive turbulence inducing precat chamber and is much better flowed.

We've seen gains of nearly 10bhp just from a Che manifold so why people keep insisting "You'll get no performance gain etc etc" I don't know. Pound for pound (£135) I think it is a cracking bit of kit which has been shown to produce extra power. Having compared the two it's more or less a straight copy of the TRD item. Not only that but it has transformed the noise of my exhaust in a hugely positice way - low grumble with occasional pops - sounds fantastic.

I know Rob had problems with the fit of his but mine was a straight bolt on replacement, I've refitted all my heatshields with no problem.

I'm having my car re mapped at millways this week for the che manifold so I'll post some figures up then.

Anonymous

Quote from: "simonp"I know Rob had problems with the fit of his but mine was a straight bolt on replacement, I've refitted all my heatshields with no problem.

I'm having my car re mapped at millways this week for the che manifold so I'll post some figures up then.

Hi Simon

The main problems with mine was the gasket collapsed around the centre stud the actual flange face to distort which caused the gasket material to blow out, it was fine when I fitted the Toyota gasket and re-adjusted the flange face  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

The bolting together was dead simple, didn't even have to mess to much with the shields, that is until Mr T decided to strip one of the threads holding them on  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Did you have your car dyno'd prior to fitting the che? I think Roger's was the most surprizing result when he fitted che, but that was also fitting a de-cat pipe at the same time - a loss of 4 bhp.

If I can get my CEL sorted I'm going to try at get it dyno'd next Wednesday. We can compare notes  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Rob

Anonymous

Yeah I had it dyno'd at millways and sp just after gutting my precats.
I'm having it redone on thurs at millways so should provide a good before and after che header figures.

The supplied gasket was alright (satisfactory not great) but seems fine at the moment.

rtbiscuit

the loss of 4bhp would be the result of the down pipe.

if you fit one you need to chip the car as well to make the most of such a free flowing exhaust.

once chipped should have a better output than a chipped car wityh normal cat.

Previous cars:

Anonymous

Quote from: "rtbiscuit"the loss of 4bhp would be the result of the down pipe.

if you fit one you need to chip the car as well to make the most of such a free flowing exhaust.

once chipped should have a better output than a chipped car wityh normal cat.

Sorry Rich, the loss was due to fitting the Che, if you read what Roger said, his car was the original the test car which had been fitted with the SP exhaust and downpipe which I posted the dyno figures for, the car was then put back to it's original spec. Last month he decided to have the SP exhaust and downpipe fitted plus SP had a che going spare which was also fitted - he then could not acheive the same dyno figures as originally acheived - 4 hp loss. In all this he had a Unichip fitted but was not re-mapped until after the loss was noticed, I understand that SP managed to sort out a reasonable map eventually.

So yes you do need a re-map if you go down the downpipe route, but some of the reasoning behind that is to correct the problem caused by the Che.

As for a car fitted with a standard cat, modified exhaust and Che, it should be interesting to see what Simon acheives when he as his remapped.

Rob

rtbiscuit

sorry rob, my fault didn't read properly.

i was refering to the point that if you fit a downpipe to any car that is not chipped to start with it will lose a small amount of power/touque. as the standard ecu cannot compensate enough for the dramatic change.

hence the fact that the unichip is required which will then take full advantage of the down pipe and increase the bhp over a car that was chipped but didn't have the down pipe.

hope i make sense.

Previous cars:

Anonymous

Hey Rich no worries.

I'll be interesting to see what my new dyno plot is, the only downside is I'm not going to take it back to WRC as they are just to far for the time I've got available, I'm thinking of going to HyperSport if they can fit me in.

It's all a guessing game with a N/A car and I think that's half the fun, at the moment I've got a car that sounds absolutely spot on for me and surprize surprize my wife  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock: , at first she thought it was a "bit Loud" but after we went for a blast she said it was picking up a lot faster and smoother and the sound at 4K to 6K has got a right rip to it.  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Rob

Mason Storm

Had Engine Advantages (Witham, Essex) fit the Che single exit exhaust today. Fitting was good with everything lining up well. Tailpipe looks a little close to the lower edge of the bumper but does not touch. I need to keep an eye on heat damage there I think. Finish of the welding and pipework is very good. I also had them do before and after dyno testing to keep things objective. Results:

Noise wise, the exhaust sounds deeper and louder than standard, but is not obtrusively so. It is possible to creep discreetly around in traffic. When the throttle is open, the noise is much more "purposeful" than from the stock system but never downright loud. I would say a well judged balance of sporty and everyday useable.

EDIT:

m http://www.cbuckle.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk ... evving.wav m

m http://www.cbuckle.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk ... evving.wav m

Well 6.4bhp for an exhaust was way better than I was expecting  s8) 8) s8)  The difference is echoed by the butt dyno that confirms the graphs nicely. Happy days  s:D :D s:D  

Hope this helps anyone considering this exhaust. Many thanks to Che for excellent and fast service.

Manifold next.

Chris

Hi Chris, I'm considering this option, can you tell me did you buy this from
delubozparts on ebay? If so any idea how much the shipping costs? Sorry if you have already covered this. Also how long did delivery take and did you need to get the delivery insured?
Silver 01, Che manifold, Sp Exhaust, markii pipe & TRD filter , Braided Hoses. Corky FSTB

evileye_wrx

If you have a look on  w www.spyderchat.com w  and do a search for catback exhaust you'll see a thread started by Che for these. You can pm him directly and he'll let you know shipping costs. Che was very easy to deal with, despite my never receiving the necessary gaskets for it. He said he'd sent them twice but they haven't arrived yet. They are, however, not necessary as we used the ones already on the car anyway. All in, with shipping and Fedex charges(!) mine came to £220. Fitting cost me a McDonald's for Northern Alex, hehe!

For pics you can look at my thread on CAI and Catback Installation. The only downside I'd say with this exhaust is the rather large tip. I know Wabbitkilla wasn't very impressed when he saw mine. It is pretty massive and looks decidedly like a Bean can seen amongst the Corsa/ Saxo brigade
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Mason Storm"Hi Chris, I'm considering this option, can you tell me did you buy this from
delubozparts on ebay? If so any idea how much the shipping costs? Sorry if you have already covered this. Also how long did delivery take and did you need to get the delivery insured?

Hi

The pipe was $420 including shipping which worked out to £220.00. I also got a bill from Fedex for £22 import handling charge on Friday. I bought it direct from Che at Deluboz parts, just paypalled him the money direct to save us both ebay costs.

Delivery took 52 hours including a weekend! Any insurance would be the responsibility of the sender. Che also marked docket up as gift of low value.

Chris

Tags: