OBDII reader

Started by Leeber, February 14, 2007, 10:12

Leeber

Hi all, Lucy's thrown up a CEL again so rather than rely on the goodwill of my fellow club-members, I've decided to buy myself a OBDII reader. I've used the search function and not got a satisfactory answer so far. Do I need one that's Can-Bus compatible? Any recommendations? I'm not fussed about a PC connection or anything like that, just want to read the codes before deciding whether a trip to Mr T's or SP is necessary. TIA.
I\'m Pink, Therefore I\'m Spam.

Liz

I have the Gendan which I can plug in the laptop, however, I know that a few people have purchased one off of Ebay for a reasonable price.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Tem

I have one of these, someone in the club recommended it and it has been perfect.  s8) 8) s8)

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OBD2-OBD-II-2-CHE ... dZViewItem m
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Leeber

Thanks guys, Tem that link doesn't work for me, are you sre it's right? Thanks again.

Tem

It seems to work. Try this one:
 m http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZeQ2dcafe m

It's these ones "OBD2 OBD II 2 CHECK ENGINE SCANNER ERROR CODE READER OB" £12.88

If that doesn't work either, search  m http://ebay.co.uk/ m  for "obd2 reader"
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

glenonoka

This is a neat little reader. I have the more expensive, pc connected one, but that one looks more than adequate for your basic home mechanic.
Thanks for posting it Tem.

kanujunkie

thats the same one that i have Lee, so you've seen how they work.

the more expensive one that Gendan do, the laptop one will give you more information such as what varios sensors are doing in a graphical real time format, very good but it just depends on what you want
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Leeber

Aha... that was the sound of my broadband connection going tits up. The links work now, thanks Tem. I think I'll go for the cheapie one for now, I can always sell it on later if I decide to upgrade, I just wasn't sure whether I needed one that was Can-Bus compatible. I'm sure you said that the system was partly Can-Bus Stu.

Liz

Ley us know what the code is when you get it, we should start placing bets now!

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Leeber"I'm sure you said that the system was partly Can-Bus Stu.

not at home at the mo but i think it is
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Leeber

Right then, the jury's back. I bought one of these in the end. I figured it would be worth the extra £15 or so for something that was Can-Bus compatible anyway for future cars.
Anyway, the code was...... P0136, which, I believe, is a circuit malfunction on the post-cat o2 sensor. The sensor itself is brand new so I figured that it's most likely a connection problem. I removed the NS rear light unit and unplugged the third o2 sensor. I used a tiny screwdriver to squeeze the terminals a bit closer together on the socket where the sensor plugs in and put it all back together again. I've cleared the light and started the car a few times before taking it for a spin. So far so good. Only time will tell I guess. Anyone else seen this problem before?

Liz

Did you have the sp exhaust fitted on yours?

markiii

and downpipe?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Leeber

Yes I did (both). When they were removing the old system the 3rd O2 sensor was damaged (the thread was stripped during removal), so they lent me the one from their own car. I got a CEL light the day after the install but that went away after I replaced their O2 sensor with a new one and sent their's back to them. Obviously, I reset the ECU then as well. I just spoke to Matt and he's confirmed that they've put the old sensor back on their car without any problems, it's not shown a fault.

markiii

hmm Liz are you stilll having this problem?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Liz

Nope (hugs a tree to touch wood) - since I changed the MAF sensor all has been well, but as Lee's car is so new I wouldn't of thought that would be a problem.

Leeber

Is that the same code you were getting then Liz? I had no idea. I noticed the other thread where simonmr2(?) is getting a similar CEL after recently having the SP240 work done.

Liz

I had a P0420 code which was the catalyst not working efficiently - no surprise with not having a cat there.  When I spoke to Matt about this - this was an issue with James's car which was the reason why that the sensor was put further back away from the main flow of the exhaust so that it wouldn't throw a code.  As this code is different I wouldn't like to hazard a guess. As I said my new MAF sorted my car out.

kanujunkie

heres a neat looking ODB-II reader software

m http://www.obdtools.co.uk/ m

of course you still need a scan tool but very nice

Liz, give it a go would you and let me know if it works with your scanner
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Liz

Does it cost?

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Liz"Does it cost?

nope, its FREE!
[size=100]Stu[/size]

rtbiscuit

might have to get myself one of these
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

kanujunkie

search around for the adaptor before you do
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Liz

Quote from: "kanujunkie"
Quote from: "Liz"Does it cost?

nope, its FREE!

At work at moment, can you tell how busy I am !!  Will do it moro and if it works will bring along in the evening if you like?

Anonymous

I had a CEL on Tueday which turned out to be O2 Sensor Circuit, Sensor 2 Bank 1 which is the post cat sensor. After a argument with MR T they are ordering me all 3 O2 sensor's to be replaced under waranty on Thursday. I was thinking if it was anything to do with the de-cat pipe but the SP car hasn't had any CEL's. After doing a lot of searching it seams that a lot of people have trouble with this after they change the exhaust or have the sensor out.

Tags: