chargecoolers

Started by kanujunkie, February 18, 2007, 16:04

kanujunkie

anyone want to recommend some?

my IC was in a worse way than i thought when we got it over Marks pit last night  s:? :? s:?   the lowdown is that the scoop has been chopped off to save the damage getting any worse and one of the support mounts is snapped off entirely  s:( :( s:(  

so i might as well join the others on a charge cooled setup  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

aaronjb

PWR have a good reputation (Thor use them in their kits, IIRC):
 m http://www.pwr-performance.com/intercooler.htm m

m http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/Charge_Coolers-288.asp m
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

kanujunkie

they do, i've already looked at them, it would be an ideal solution as well as i can just bolt it in in 5mins as well. Simple solution i suppose
[size=100]Stu[/size]

loadswine

Just have to plumb in a radiator, but if you want to check on the way mine is fitted, the ideal time is when the bumpers are away being sprayed.
(soon I hope)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

highly recommend the PWR barrel unit, great bit of kit

I gave Mark the rad dimensions and where to get the pump from as well the other day so he can let you know that   s;) ;) s;)

kanujunkie

cheers Perry  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

spit

Quote from: "perry190"I gave Mark the rad dimensions and where to get the pump from as well the other day so he can let you know that   s;) ;) s;)

Be handy if you or Mark could post details here in case anyone else is interested?  s8) 8) s8)
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

markiii

pre-rad is 600 x 200

don't worry I'll document teh install when my chargecooler core arrives later this month  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

BenF

I'd recommend a charge cooled PWR setup as well  s;) ;) s;)  

there are a few gotchas with Chargecooled setups - pumps and getting rid of air in the coolant. Its been a popular thing to do with Mk2s for a while now, so  there are plenty of Mk2 owners with knowledge and advice on selection of pumps etc.
Chargecooled PE Turbo, Unichip, TRD Front brace, Corky's Breastplate, Tein SS springs.

Anonymous

well, just hadf breakfast and now have a few mo's before the wife will drag me out snorkeling, so:.....

pre-rad is 600 x 200

The pump is a Davies, Craig Pty. Ltd Electric booster pump

Its from Oz apparently but you can buy it from Maw Solutions Ltd., Five Oaks, Sandy Lane, Henfield, West Sussex, BN5 9UX for £89 (I assume + vat)

m http://www.mawsolutions.com/index.html m  

the rubber pipe to plumb from the charge cooler to the radfiator at the front is 19mm heavy duty pipe (suitable for hot water)  the pipe supplied by MWR is very similar to compressor pipe found on building sites etc, but there are plenty of alternatives around (saw it on e-bay the other day, pretty cheap)

you need to have a small filler cap/bottle in line to enable you to fill the system with water but also to ensure you bleed all the air out too.  the trick is to have this higher than any other part of the system. (people often cock this up  s;) ;) s;)   )

keep adding water/coolant, the pump will pass it around the system for you.  you will then get to a point that no air is coming out of the cap area and just water flowing nicely through the system, do up the cap and your sorted  s:) :) s:)   If all your connections are tight, then you'll never have to top it up again   s;) ;) s;)

kanujunkie

cheers Perry

Mark and myself had a long look around last night and have come up with a few pre rads to sort through but the rad off a panda 1.1 is looking promising. Just got to get the other bits then

i was wondering wether Pirtek could supply the hose any cheaper as well
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

I think an aluminium rad is preferable as this has better water to air cooling properties than steel or copper.
 w www.chargecoolers.co.uk w  or advancedvehicletuning.com do everything you need. The core itself is a bit cheaper than thor too I think.

kanujunkie

problem is though is the rad sizes from those companies, they're not ideal for the 2

btw copper is very similar to ally for rads but has corrosion issues, agree on steel though
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

quite a few guys have used aircon rads off various cars with great success apparently

kanujunkie

Mark was saying that some of the mk2 guys use the fiat cinqucento rad to great effect as well. I went to go to a company in heathrow earlier who used to make rads but unfortunatley they went bust a few months ago  s:( :( s:(  

just wondering if a standard 2 rad would fit?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "kanujunkie"just wondering if a standard 2 rad would fit?

You'd have to get very creative fitting it. I don't think it would work. The core itself is very thin and you could have two of them, but the ends are quite thick and that's the issue. You'd also have some trouble routing the hoses for both.

According to the BGB the stock rad is openable and serviceable. I wonder if you could open it and hack some off the core and put it back together.
(then again, a used rad from any car is next to nothing)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

BenF

Quote from: "perry190"well, just hadf breakfast and now have a few mo's before the wife will drag me out snorkeling, so:.....

pre-rad is 600 x 200

The pump is a Davies, Craig Pty. Ltd Electric booster pump

FWIW, a few of the MK2 guys have had problems with this pump failing and have moved on to others -

Just done a quick search and found this thread :

m http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... ooler+pump m

In that thread, Jabsco get a recommendation:

m http://www.jabsco.com/prodInfoApp/servl ... peId=JMGCR m  

As for Rad - ISTR that the one in the front of mine is a Fiat Cinqucento rad.

It doesn't have to be huge it just needs decent airflow through it.
Chargecooled PE Turbo, Unichip, TRD Front brace, Corky's Breastplate, Tein SS springs.

philster_d

Thanks Ben   s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

Quote from: "BenF"FWIW, a few of the MK2 guys have had problems with this pump failing and have moved on to others -

As for Rad - ISTR that the one in the front of mine is a Fiat Cinqucento rad.

It doesn't have to be huge it just needs decent airflow??? through it.

interesting read there on the pump Ben, but as MWR supply them with the kit as do many other performance places I think I'll stick with whats recommended, especially as location and bleeding the system properly appears to be an issue with the mk 2's

kanujunkie

i'm looking at a metro turbo rad at the mo on fleabay that seems perfect as well, just has one hose attachment to blank off which isn't any great wowsers, its 600x300, bit bigger but should work fine, plus its a lot cheaper than the fiat ones at the mo
[size=100]Stu[/size]

BenF

Quote from: "perry190"interesting read there on the pump Ben, but as MWR supply them with the kit as do many other performance places I think I'll stick with whats recommended, especially as location and bleeding the system properly appears to be an issue with the mk 2's

No Problem - Its difficult to tell if there is a generic problem with these, or a problem with how the setup has been built, but IMO there has been more noise than average about these failing.

Bleeding a Chargecooled setup is a PITA - but if you give the design of the system some thought (eg ability to bleed air at highest point) you'll be OK.

Will be interesting to see what a power a properly chargecooled Hass or C2 setup  will produce - you should see decent power gains from the cooler intake charge temperatures alone.

Anonymous

as promised heres a couple of pics of the front rad before I put the bumper back on  (to give you an idea of size/location etc)

ignore the centre section of the undertray, thats presently work in progress   s;) ;) s;)

if you remove the plastics and storage bin you can gain access to run both pipes down the centre out of harms way, without having to remove the under plastics etc

markiii

cheers Perry

latest update

1 x pwr chargecooler barrell 4x6 arrived yesterday  :-) :-) :-)  brand new for £125 plus £37 ion taxes, bargain  :-) :-) :-)

1 x brand new metro Turbo rad on it's way £30

pics to follow.

next question, anyone know if it matters

a) which way airflow goes through teh barrell?
b) wether teh water fittings vshould face up? down? or sideways?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

aaronjb

Quote from: "markiii"b) wether the water fittings vshould face up? down? or sideways?

Top I should imagine, unless it has a bleed screw somewhere else.. (otherwise you'd have a hell of a time getting all the air out  s;) ;) s;) )
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

markiii

good point  :-) :-) :-)

Tags: