chargecoolers

Started by kanujunkie, February 18, 2007, 16:04

Anonymous

air flow is either way, as for water pipes on the MWR set up they go off to the side.  no idea if thats best but thats how they did all the kits

markiii

thinking about it unless all pipe work is higher than the barrell, the pipes become teh high spot when taking teh feed from teh top
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"i'm looking at a metro turbo rad , its 600x300, bit bigger but should work fine, plus its a lot cheaper than the fiat ones at the mo

Only possible problem I can see with that size is that a third (100mm) of the rad will be behind the main cross member and therefore not directly in the air flow?  Cold air will of course get to it, but would be better if you could get a long thin one, so to speak   s;) ;) s;)

kanujunkie

Quote from: "perry190"but would be better if you could get a long thin one, so to speak   s;) ;) s;)

ooooh errrrrr mrs   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

i see what you mean but surely even the little bit thats unvented directly will radiate heat?

plus i'm thinking of chopping the bodywork a little bit
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

true matey, obviously the stock rad is behind there as well, just not ideal if your picking one,  thats all

The piccys I took for you this morning were of the stock mounting places, but with the veilside front I have made brackets to move the rad 3" further forward and about 1.5" down, this along with cutting the bumper to open it out a bit matched the rad size nicely

this along with my new undertray keeps all the cold air directly on the pre-rad  (well hopefully   s:) :) s:)   )

aaronjb

Now that's nice..

Seriously, Perry, you should do this for a living  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

would love to matey, unfortunately I think it wouldnt be so much fun if you had deadlines and whining customers   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

aaronjb

Ah so very true!
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

kanujunkie

i'll go with that, your the king of this sport, style and performance all in one  s8) 8) s8)
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    If only.......................you dont see the cock ups !

loadswine

I bet your cock ups are better than most of the stuff I could do!
Seriously nice grill work and rad. Super neat and I bet it will function well.
I don't know where you come up with all the ideas!
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

dont under estimate your skills matey, that front bumper of yours was a top notch job.  s;) ;) s;)

loadswine

Cheers mate, a bit here and there, I'm learning!
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

heathstimpson

I really like that front Perry. As you come up behind someone fast they'll spot the MR2 Turbo lettering and pull over eh   s8) 8) s8)
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Only if they have a midget hanging off the bumper of their car to see it   s;) ;) s;)  

nice thought tho   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

kanujunkie

here guys, we couldn't use something like this for a system vent, could we? its a automatic radiator vent

this should fit into the end of a 19mm t-piece with a bit of adapting
[size=100]Stu[/size]

markiii

after 4 years of fun with my central heating automatic bleeders aren't holding much appeal.

s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

right, ok, scrap that one then, but a manual version in the tee would work well
[size=100]Stu[/size]

markiii

yep thats what we discussed on Sunday  :-) :-) :-)

Anonymous

surely all you need is for the fill up neck or header bottle (which ever you choose) to be the highest point of the system?

This is the way its done with the MWR kit and also the GT Four stock charge cooler, the filler cap is on top of the charge cooler on the gt four and theres never any need to bleed the system due to this.

mine as you can see is over the top of the charge cooler

and Nige's is mounted on the main brace, again higher than the cooler

Theres really no reason to re-invent the wheel here chaps as once the system is filled from the highest point its a sealed system  s:) :) s:)    

how are you planning to fill your sytems with water?  wether it be a filler cap or header bottle that still remains the natural (best) bleed point as it has obviously got to be the highest point of the system or it wont work   s:) :) s:)

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Perry"surely all you need is for the fill up neck or header bottle (which ever you choose) to be the highest point of the system?

i agree on the back of the system Perry, but how do you plan on bleeding the radiator?, if the pipes run along the bottom of the car which is the lowest point then they will need to rise upwards again for the radiator, which creates a second section that needs bleeding, thats what Mark and myself are planning on adding a seperate bleed point for. So no were not re-inventing things.
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

ah ha, I see where you coming from now  s;) ;) s;)    s:) :) s:)   I merely placed the rad on the floor when filling the system with the two inlets uppermost and gave it a couple of shakes when filling, with the theory in mind that the air will travel to the top and back along the pipe to the filler.

as you know from the temps posted, this appeared to be working fine.

Thrashing around town on high boost with stops at traffic lights, regular 12psi
temp at MAF: 84*F Plenum: 70*F

Full out boosting for long periods on the motorway, at times reaching speeds of 135mph+
temp at MAF : 108*F Plenum: 97*F

This was with the air filter in the normal PE placement, so taking a percentage of warmer air from the engine bay, so with the chargecooler in place and bled as I said above, the air leaving the charge cooler was actually colder than the air entering the filter/turbo.

however, nothing wrong with what your suggesting there matey obviously  s:) :) s:)  , but possibly not overly important if you cant do what you are setting out to   s;) ;) s;)

as said, even the GT four doesnt require this sort of bleeding at the pre-rad end.   s:) :) s:)

kanujunkie

cheers for the info on that Perry, your answer does seem kinda obvious, why didn't i think of that, DOH!

would water wetter work on chargecoolers btw?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

I've been considering that myself, dont know if the stuff works or not, but the gumph seems impressive, will probs give it a god I should think

Anonymous

I see Thor use the same filler neck and pump as MWR

m http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/Barrel_Cha ... R_5218.asp m

have you sorted the filling point yet?

Tags: