remove steering wheel

Started by alancdavis, February 18, 2007, 21:51

alancdavis

Ok...I have decided that the besr option is to have my own wheel retrimed

The big question is how do I get the wheel off,,,,will the airbag blow up in my face.

Help please.
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

Anonymous

Not unless you do something really silly.

On either side there's a couple of allen head bolts which need to be unscrewed to release the centre airbag module, after which you simply need unclip it from the wire connector block you'll see behind it. If you really want to you can disconnect the battery as well for a bit of added security, but I removed mine a couple of times and never had an issue. I just kept my head out of the way just in case.

After the airbag is out of the way, you'll see the centre nut holding the wheel onto the rack. Undo it and you're done (it will take a lot of force to pull the wheel off, though).

loadswine

Those little bolts are torx bolts and have to be drawn into a retaining clip on the steering wheel. If you don't engage those bolts in their clips, you'll find it almost impossible to detach the airbag.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

Eh? They were allen bolts on mine for sure, and I just unscrewed them and POP! Out fell the airbag. No retaining clips or nothing, definitely.

alancdavis

I am getting more worried by the minute   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

Anonymous

If you can undo a can with a can opener then you can take something simple like a steering wheel off. The hardest part is knowing how hard you can yank it, and because I'm telling you it doesn't matter how hard you yank it and that you will need to put a shit load of force into it, even the difficult part is taken care of.

loadswine

Maybe they changed them on the later cars then Dan, as mine was a 2000 model where I removed the steering wheel. Haven't looked on the current one! There is a how to on Spyderchat for this, I believe.

markiii

just remember to mark it with tape so you know where to put it back on straight
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"just remember to mark it with tape so you know where to put it back on straight

Great, now you tell me a year after I've sold the damn thing!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

@Nigel: Quite possibly mate, that'd certainly be a new thing they changed if it is.

loadswine

Sean gave me a tip when actually removing the steering whell. Put a pillow over the wheel as you are pulling, this saves the dent in your forehead asit comes flying off! Works a treat. When pulling, it helps to pull one side then the other in rapid succession ie left right etc. seems to come off easier that way.

loadswine

Somebody on SC had a pdf file link that they put up for steering wheel removal. As has been said, you may find different bolts holding the airbag . You also don't need a special tool for removing the wheel, again been through that already, but the document might be of use.
 m http://spyderchat.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... el+removal m

heathstimpson

Quote from: "loadswine"Sean gave me a tip when actually removing the steering whell. Put a pillow over the wheel as you are pulling, this saves the dent in your forehead asit comes flying off! Works a treat. When pulling, it helps to pull one side then the other in rapid succession ie left right etc. seems to come off easier that way.
Very wise words by Sean as I bet many have whacked their heads when pulling off the wheel  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

loadswine

Yes, I can almost feel their pain. I know the first time I did this, the seats were out of the car so I was leaning with most of my weight pulling against the wheel. When it let go, it was sudden and if it weren't for the pillow, I might have taken a hell of a whack.

Anonymous

I recomend leaving the nut on the last couple of threads, so when the wheel goes it'll stop on the nut and not your nose  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Tags: