How to prevent alloy wheel bubbling ?

Started by red_leicester, February 19, 2007, 12:22

red_leicester

Hopefully I'll be the proud owner of brand new standard alloy wheels soon.

Just wondering if anyone knows if anything can be done to prevent the inevitable bubbling that will start in a couple of years.

I've seen this Protext4  - anyone know if it's any good ?
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

kanujunkie

[scotty mode]

Ye canny change the laws of physics!

[/scotty mode]

but you can slow it down, probably the best way is to get then cleaned and laquered, your trying to stop the air getting to the metal
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

When I got mine replaced under warranty, first thing I did was took them off and gave them a good couple of coats of super resin polish, followed by a topcoat of Collinite 476 (supposed to last a year) gives a good protection against all the salt and rubbish that attacks alloys at this time of year. Makes them easy to keep clean too.

philster_d

I use alloy wheel wax to add a protective coat

Anonymous

Hi,

I have had a full set of alloys replaced by Toyota this week for the bubbling problem. This will be the fourth set of alloys that I have had replaced on the two MR2s that I have owned.

The technician tells me that Toyota have put a new type of coating on the alloys that completely resolves the problem, or at least means they will last as long as other alloys.

They do look different to be honest, much more shiney than any of the previous alloys of new. Time will tell I suppose...

Dave

normanh

Simplest way in my view is just have the wheels stripped and repainted, mine were redone a year ago when I purchased the car by the dealer as they looked shocking. A year on not a mark or blemish, I suspect the original finish can't handle the UK climate.

normanh

Anonymous

Just noticed the 4th set on mine are showing early signs of Aero chocolate syndrome   s:? :? s:?

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Davef"Hi,

I have had a full set of alloys replaced by Toyota this week for the bubbling problem. This will be the fourth set of alloys that I have had replaced on the two MR2s that I have owned.

The technician tells me that Toyota have put a new type of coating on the alloys that completely resolves the problem, or at least means they will last as long as other alloys.

They do look different to be honest, much more shiney than any of the previous alloys of new. Time will tell I suppose...

Dave
Mine were replaced with a brand new set today and the coating and colur definately looks different. They were new from Toyota Japan but look a more steely grey colour  s8) 8) s8)
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

enid_b

would it be wrong for me to ask someone still in warranty to take my wheels in for exchange?

after all they are toyota wheels, and toyota were paid for them, and as a result of poor workmanship, i have some bubbling?

any takers?
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

red_leicester

Quote from: "enid_b"would it be wrong for me to ask someone still in warranty to take my wheels in for exchange?

after all they are toyota wheels, and toyota were paid for them, and as a result of poor workmanship, i have some bubbling?

any takers?

Cheeky Monkey!

Thanks fora ll the replies, I have bought some of the Protex4 stuff (£20) so will give it a go anyway.
[size=84]Jez[/size]

Chris_h

Quote from: "enid_b"would it be wrong for me to ask someone still in warranty to take my wheels in for exchange?

any takers?

Swapping wheels and tyres with a friends company car of the same model is always a good one.

I think I am paying for not cleaning my 2 since dec - bubbling has reared its ugly head on all 4 wheels   s:( :( s:(
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

ChrisGB

Well I got four new wheels when I bought the car back in May 2006. I protected them with Poorboys World wheel sealant. The car / wheels were kept clean throughout the winter, the car is not a daily driver (8000 miles since May) and guess what? All four wheels are starting to bubble.

The car went out of warranty in Sept 2006. Anyone know if Mr T would replace (hopefully with the updated finish) as they are plainly unfit for purpose due to defective design or workmanship.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Anonymous

I had mine replace in Feb 06.....I have just been to sort another set, as these ones are bubbling. At least that gives me until next year to see if these ones will be ok before my warranty ends.

Anonymous

I had the same prob with bubbling alloys, replaced under warranty. According to my dealer, all new parts come with a years warranty irrespective if your cars warranty has expired so you should be able to go back and get them changed within that period... Hope this helps!

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Owen"I had the same probably with bubbling alloys, replaced under warranty. According to my dealer, all new parts come with a years warranty irrespective if your cars warranty has expired so you should be able to go back and get them changed within that period... Hope this helps!

That will help if the dealer sees it that way. The fronts were replaced when I owned the car, the rears by the previous owner a couple of weeks before.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Anonymous

I think that usually they would be replaced as a set of four rather than individually?

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Owen"I think that usually they would be replaced as a set of four rather than individually?

They were supposed to have done that. Two rears turned up before I bought the car but the fronts did not. All four wheels are now showing signs of going again. I will contact them on Monday and see what is said.

Chris

BenF

FWIW .. I wouldn't  be surprised if Toyota GB was refurbishing teh wheels on the quiet and returning them to stock.

I got mine replaced when I bought the car, about 2 years ago. I've done ~ 40k miles since then in all conditions, and there's only one bubble I've noticed cleaning the alloys - certainly nothing to worry about. In due course, a £200 refurbishment should see them as good as new.
Chargecooled PE Turbo, Unichip, TRD Front brace, Corky's Breastplate, Tein SS springs.

ChrisGB

Quote from: "BenF"FWIW .. I wouldn't  be surprised if Toyota GB was refurbishing the wheels on the quiet and returning them to stock.

I got mine replaced when I bought the car, about 2 years ago. I've done ~ 40k miles since then in all conditions, and there's only one bubble I've noticed cleaning the alloys - certainly nothing to worry about. In due course, a £200 refurbishment should see them as good as new.

I spoke to the dealer that fitted the wheels today. They wish to view the car (could not get there until next week) but say they will replace wheels that are corroded under warranty as they have 12 months from fitting date on them. I guess they want to check to see if the corrosion is a result of damage to the wheels from kerbing, agressive cleaning etc, which is reasonable.

From the way all four wheels have gone, with corrosion showing under the laquer before any apparent penetration of the lacuer, it is quite possible that these wheels were formerly refurbished but the corrosion not properly neutralised prior to coating. Then again, could be they were factory new and just rotted anyway like new ones are know to.

Do we (collectively of the rotting wheels fraternity) honestly reckon Toyota has improved the coating recently?

New wheels once a year is going to cost Toyota a fortune surely?

Chris

red_leicester

Quote from: "BenF"FWIW .. I wouldn't  be surprised if Toyota GB was refurbishing the wheels on the quiet and returning them to stock.

I spoke to a refurb place a few months ago and they told me that they do work for Toyota.

Wouldn't you be better off with professionally refurbed wheels than stock Toyota ones anyway ??!!
[size=84]Jez[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "ChrisGB"Do we (collectively of the rotting wheels fraternity) honestly reckon Toyota has improved the coating recently?

Chris

Chris - Refurbed or not, the set of alloys that Toyota have recently put on mine are different to anything they have put on before. They look much better. How long they last, we'll see...

I was told they are brand new. After cleaning them and removing all the tyre glue crud they get all over them, they do look immaculate. Nonetheless, a costly gaffe by Toyota..

Dave

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Davef"
Quote from: "ChrisGB"Do we (collectively of the rotting wheels fraternity) honestly reckon Toyota has improved the coating recently?

Chris

Chris - Refurbed or not, the set of alloys that Toyota have recently put on mine are different to anything they have put on before. They look much better. How long they last, we'll see...

I was told they are brand new. After cleaning them and removing all the tyre glue crud they get all over them, they do look immaculate. Nonetheless, a costly gaffe by Toyota..

Dave

Thanks Dave

I look forward to nice shiny wheels soon then. Even if they last just over 12 months, it is not the end of the world to refurb them in something longer lasting, provided it is not the alloy itself that is faulty.

Chris

ChrisGB

Quote from: "red_leicester"

I spoke to a refurb place a few months ago and they told me that they do work for Toyota.

Wouldn't you be better off with professionally refurbed wheels than stock Toyota ones anyway ??!!

Well yes if you are paying for them to be done yourself, but no if Toyota will replace the ones that have gone scabby FOC as they are in warranty.

Chris

Anonymous

Im having all 4 of mine refurbed next week. They are in a terrible state!

ChrisGB

Just an update, had all four wheels replaced by Mr T today. They look the same as the ones that corroded. Time will tell.

Chris

Tags: