What a difference a MAF makes.....

Started by Liz, February 21, 2007, 19:06

Anonymous

hes a uk seller?

spit

Quote from: "perry190"hes a uk seller?

I'm an idiot  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

s;) ;) s;)    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Liz

The O ring comes with a new maf - still smarting at the price of those ones..  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Liz"The O ring comes with a new maf - still smarting at the price of those ones..  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
I bet the change of o ring gave you the improvements Liz not the new MAF  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  You probably had a leak (in joke mode)  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

spit

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

So, do we think these EBay MAFs are some sort of pattern replacement?

Can't see any reference to DENSO or the embossed markings on the top cap. Hmmm, decisions.

kanujunkie

just to drag this up again, just found this in the BGB

QuoteHeated oxygen sensor heater control system
The heated oxygen sensor heater control system turns the heater on when the intake air volume is low (Temp. of
exhaust emissions is low), and warms up the heated oxygen sensors (Bank 1 sensor 1, bank 1 sensor 2, bank 2 sensor 1)

kinda explains why now
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

spit

Quote from: "spit"So, do we think these EBay MAFs are some sort of pattern replacement?

In answer to my own question, the EBay 'NAFs' are NOT[/u] the genuine Denso part, and although the part number matches our car they DON'T[/u] have the same hotwire construction/configuration as the one I've taken off.  s:? :? s:?  The body is a cheesier plastic too, although they do have a metal seating plate and O-ring.

I had some very dangerous AFR levels with it this morning ... and very nearly posted up to warn you not to bother ... but its settled down a bit now.

I'll persevere and see how it beds down after some ECU learns and get back to you. Could go either way  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Liz

Interesting, could be the reason why Waynes didn't react well to the one he purchased off of ebay and was ok with my Mr T one on it, he hasn't been around on here for a while, hope he comes back and reads this.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Anyone got the part number for the MAF?
My mrT is being a bit thick at the moment, and aparently mr2's dont have MAF's

spit

22204-22010

spit

Right, here's my take on the EBay generic MAF.

Its OK. It works, and it (eventually) sends an appropriate signal to the ECU. Under load its bang-on and has cured my wandering AFR issue a treat. So if you need a replacement it will do the job.

BUT

It takes an age to settle and send a reliable voltage to the ECU. Normally, when you start-up from cold, your car should run in the AFR12s and13s until it is warm, when it settles to 14.7ish.

With the generic MAF the start-up AFR is dangerously high and you don't get this choke effect at all. Haven't quite worked out why  s:? :? s:? , but if you need to get out of your car soon after starting it (to shut the garage door, for example), don't rely on this MAF to be looking after your car while your foot is away from the accelerator.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

The other issue is that the MAF is a little slower than the stocker in dropping its voltage when you lift off. If you like pops and bangs on a gear-change this probably won't bother you too much!

So, it looks like the adage "you get what you pay for" applies.

I'm going to stick with it for a while - may be able to tune some of the issues out with the EManage. But the old MAF is riding around with me just in case  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tags: