Whiteline parts

Started by VVT-i, February 22, 2007, 18:46

dj2k21

hi guys, hoping someone can point me in the right direction with this please?

just looking on MWR and it seems that when it comes to suspension, CHE offer the following...

trailing arms
track arms
control arms

questions are....

1.which one of the above 3 is the "american" name for drop link?

2. if I were to buy the whiteline drop link foe there aparent superior design etc, can I still fit the other 2?

3. what exactly do each of them do? I know MWR give you a brief description of their purpose, already got whiteline adjustable ARB's to go on, along with 2's r us beefy bar upgrade kit,

any help would be great, thanks very much  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Anonymous

OK let me see if this helps

If you look at the photo you will see two tiebars or arms, which are blue in colour, there is a third one which you can't see which in in front of the green strut, these are the arms you are talking about, the one nearest the camera is the "control" (or toe as we can sometimes call it) the next one in the "camber" and the third which you can't see is the "trail".

The drop link is the silver coloured bar which comes off the green strut (shock absorber) vertically and connects to the anti roll bar (black).

I hope this helps.

dj2k21

brilliant explination FGROB, thank you so much, that has cleared things up for me. thank you  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

carl_evs

I now have the Whiteline stuff for the rears sat on the kitchen table - possibly going to have a go to fit tomorrow weather and time dependent - if not it will be Tuesday or Wednesday next week. I dont suppose you know or remember what size nuts and bolts you used for the droplinks and ARB do you? I can trial and error it whilst fitting but would be much better if I knew which ones to have beforehand!!

Also - with the rear which 'hole' did you go for and how did you find it? I'm not sure how stiff to set it (again, I can trial and error this to find out which is most suited for me - just be nice to have a starting point!!)

Cheers

Carl
2nd Place - Northern Treasure Hunt

\'52 Lagoon Blue SMT - Likwidart graphics - quite a bit of other stuff...most homemade!!

Quote from: \"nelix\"Sold him my knob, fast payment, thanks

VVT-i

You have a PM.

No Idea on the nut type, but a 17mm socket fits nicely over the nut. I have my bars set to the 2nd stiffest setting... the 2nd hole from the bend in the bar. On that setting I find the car handles fairly well with next to no bodyroll (street driving) whilst still retaining a good level of feel and comfort. I've never tracked the car so I haven't pushed it to the limits, so I don't know how much bodyroll I would have then.

When I got them fitted I asked for a geometry check and adjustment, I asked for a nutreal set up, which is no understeeer and no oversteer... car handles nicely IMO.
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

carl_evs

So - had these fitted now for a couple of weeks, it hasn't been without issues though - although not with the parts themselves. Once fitted found that my exhaust under vibration rubbed against the new ARB - I have to assume it was always close and with the increased diameter I now get metal to metal contact. Have had to play around with moving the exhaust hangers around and what not ( I have a twin pipe system). Still not got it perfect, however I have eliminated the rattle against the ARB - just created another one elsewhere!!
Looks like the trial and error will continue until I get it right.

Am quite happy with the results, i will definately be getting the front one done at some stage - in an ideal world they would have been done together but alas - needed to get the rear done to pass the MOT (actually just needed the droplinks but while they were off it seemed dumb not to change it out at the same time).

\'52 Lagoon Blue SMT - Likwidart graphics - quite a bit of other stuff...most homemade!!

Kool PT

man, Whiteline's ARBs have gone way up in price.

First post said £135 for each bar. Now £173.76 and £153.53 front and rear!

A 21% increase  s:( :( s:(
PT\'s Cruiser: Black 2000 MR2 Roadster V6

3.0L 1MZ-FE V6, Ferrari 355 exhaust, Cusco FSTB, Tein S.Tech springs.

uktotty

couple of quid cheaper on whitelines website

VVT-i

Whiteline UK are no longer though, unless someone else has taken it on.. Job Geevers used to run it from Dalgety Bay in Fife, but gave it up a while ago.

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

carl_evs

Quote from: "Kool PT"man, Whiteline's ARBs have gone way up in price.

First post said £135 for each bar. Now £173.76 and £153.53 front and rear!

A 21% increase  s:( :( s:(

Where was that from as I paid less than that from DT a few weeks ago???

Kool PT

Think it was Hyeline, have since found this though    m http://www.balancemotorsport.co.uk/prod ... mber=58860 m  these guys have adjustables cheaper and non-adjustables for considerably less.

uktotty

according to Camskill they have stopped producing the fronts! And there is no stock of the rears

Wabbitkilla

I recently bought my rears from Balance Motorsport - nice guys to deal with and quick delivery ... all you need to do is find the bolts.
If you go from the part code it's a universal item rather than specific to the MR2, very nice quality and robust looking.

Still trying to figure out what to do about the fronts.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Kool PT

Wabbit according to the link I posted they have front/rear adjustable AND non-adjustable, do you know of anything else to suggest they don't carry full stock?

I actually tried adding the fronts to my cart as well, no 'out of stock' messages or anything...

Does anyone know of a reason that I wouldn't be happy with the non-adjustable type?

My car is now no longer required as a daily/practical vehicle and is shortly having a 1MZ-FE fitted. For the sake of shaving a hundred quid off the price I'm thinking just go with the non-adjustables?

VVT-i

Quote from: "Kool PT"Does anyone know of a reason that I wouldn't be happy with the non-adjustable type?

If you got adjustables ones, how often are you actually going to adjust them?

I got mine fitted (adjustable) and it was a case of fit a forget. The non adjustable ones will (or should be) stiffer than the standard bar, so you've got to ask yourself if you think that it would be stiff enough for your requirements, to do that you would need the technical info on both the Whiteline and standard bars.. time for you to do some investigating?

Kool PT

Quote from: "VVT-i"
Quote from: "Kool PT"Does anyone know of a reason that I wouldn't be happy with the non-adjustable type?

If you got adjustables ones, how often are you actually going to adjust them?

I got mine fitted (adjustable) and it was a case of fit a forget. The non adjustable ones will (or should be) stiffer than the standard bar, so you've got to ask yourself if you think that it would be stiff enough for your requirements, to do that you would need the technical info on both the Whiteline and standard bars.. time for you to do some investigating?

OK, don't know if you're implying that i'm asking some n00bish questions here but this is hardly a 'does anyone know what tyres are best' discussion?

I've no idea how ARBs are technically compared to one another. Does one mention the stiffness or simply the circumference? Obviously all of the Whiteline models are 'uprated' from stock, so I'm not sure I follow what you're suggesting. Also, it's a hard thing to search for as they are known as anti-roll bars (and anything about roll bars brings up chat about 'style bars'), ARBs, anti sway bars?

Wabbitkilla

TBH I have an adjustable rear ARB and yes, i have adjusted it ... but like the coilovers once i've found the setting i like most i leave them alone.
I guess that's what they're more used for in a road car.

My rear droplinks at whiteling adjustable and i basically set them up the same length as the 2's'rus ones and not touched them since - again because i like them the way they are. But the droplinks are much beefier than either the oem or 2's'rus ones and easier removed when you want to - that's why i got them really.

My front ARB is a none-adjustable one but upgraded, the droplinks are 2's'rus but i'll be replacing them as soon as i get the opportunity.
Having now had 2 2's'rus rear droplinks fail just doesn't fill me with confidence in their quality or longevity. It may just be because my ARB's are uprated items that's knacking the 2's'rus kit, as it seems rare for anyone else to have trouble with them.

Really, if you go with either adjustable or none-adjustable you'll enjoy the difference they make to the car.
None-adjustale might just be the ticket, but adjustable allows you to find out if it can be any better.
But then you'll probably, just like me, leave them alone.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Seemples
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

MR 2ster

Im in the same boat...can't decide between adjustable or non adjustable! Persoanlly I know I won't be bothered to keep making adjustments and from looking at this PDF: http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/bulletins/010barup.pdf you'll likely gain a 40% - 60% increase in stiffness from just the diamter of the bar. The adjustable ones can just go even stiffer if need be but surely you could get adjustble drop links which can tailor your style further and save pennies?

That's my thoughts anyway. I'd also look at doing all the bushings too!

Kool PT

Quote from: "MR 2ster"Im in the same boat...can't decide between adjustable or non adjustable! Persoanlly I know I won't be bothered to keep making adjustments and from looking at this PDF: http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/bulletins/010barup.pdf you'll likely gain a 40% - 60% increase in stiffness from just the diamter of the bar. The adjustable ones can just go even stiffer if need be but surely you could get adjustble drop links which can tailor your style further and save pennies?

That's my thoughts anyway. I'd also look at doing all the bushings too!

Do you have official figures for thickness of front/rear stock ARBs?

MR 2ster

I've been trying to re-find them but I think (iirc) the rear are 15mm and the front 19mm

Kool PT

Yo.

according to MWR's listings for the Che ARBs, stock is 15mm rear and 20mm front.

which is 107% in stiffness rear

and 46% front.

from reading up on it, front is more important for a MR layout vehicle.

VVT-i

Quote from: "Kool PT"OK, don't know if you're implying that i'm asking some n00bish questions here but this is hardly a 'does anyone know what tyres are best' discussion?

I'm sorry if you think I some way implied tht is was a "n00bish" question, I in no way intended you to take it that way.

You asked if we new any reason why you would not be happy with the non adjustable ones. We don't know what you want from the car, we don't know how much stiffness you want from your anti-roll bars and as such we wouldn't know if you would be happy with non adjustables or not. I was only trying to suggest that you find data on both the whiteline bars and the standard bars to compare them, in the same way as spring rates can be compared, I don't know if any such data exists which is why I suggested some investigating.

I won't risk a possible insult to you again by telling you how they work as I'm sure you know that 100%, but suffice to say adjustable ones will give more options on stiffness in comparison to non adsjustables, so if any data does exist it could be of great use to you..and yes your right, they are also known as sway bars.

TBH I think you would be happy with the non adjustables, the difference in thickness of the bars is fairly significant and should give you a good balance of comfort for road use and handling for occasional track use.

The prices in the first post were from Automotive Services in Dunfermline, which was run by Job Geevers who ran Whiteline UK. I did get a good discount as we (my work) done a lot of work on his demo cars at the time.

Temple tuning are listing the front adjustable bars for £167.29 plus delivery. (vat is included)

Kool PT

Quote from: "VVT-i"
Quote from: "Kool PT"OK, don't know if you're implying that i'm asking some n00bish questions here but this is hardly a 'does anyone know what tyres are best' discussion?

I'm sorry if you think I some way implied tht is was a "n00bish" question, I in no way intended you to take it that way.

You asked if we new any reason why you would not be happy with the non adjustable ones. We don't know what you want from the car, we don't know how much stiffness you want from your anti-roll bars and as such we wouldn't know if you would be happy with non adjustables or not. I was only trying to suggest that you find data on both the whiteline bars and the standard bars to compare them, in the same way as spring rates can be compared, I don't know if any such data exists which is why I suggested some investigating.

I won't risk a possible insult to you again by telling you how they work as I'm sure you know that 100%, but suffice to say adjustable ones will give more options on stiffness in comparison to non adsjustables, so if any data does exist it could be of great use to you..and yes your right, they are also known as sway bars.

TBH I think you would be happy with the non adjustables, the difference in thickness of the bars is fairly significant and should give you a good balance of comfort for road use and handling for occasional track use.

The prices in the first post were from Automotive Services in Dunfermline, which was run by Job Geevers who ran Whiteline UK. I did get a good discount as we (my work) done a lot of work on his demo cars at the time.

Temple tuning are listing the front adjustable bars for £167.29 plus delivery. (vat is included)

Sorry it seems like I got the wrong end of your post. Good advice there, and if I can contribute anything in my findings I'll add to the thread. However when asking about adjustable/non-adjustable I <i>did</i> mention the V6 conversion and the fact that it is now simply a car for fun only as I have a full time practical car too
now.

I'll either upgrade to coilovers first or at the same time as doing the ARBs so it'll probably be a while before anything happens! Let's get that 1MZ shoehorned in first  s:) :) s:)

Tags: