Hood change under warranty

Started by Sandy Footwells, March 13, 2007, 17:17

Sandy Footwells

I've just had approval from Toyota to have my hood replaced under warranty on my 04 '2.  The problem is small splits/tears/rips (that should help future forum searchers) on either side of the hood - they're only on the surface, so more cosmetic than anything.  I did a search and at least one other person has had this.

The reason I wanted to post, is that the dealer was very interested to see if I had treated the hood with anything (which I haven't) as he claimed it created all kinds of problems.  I know that people on the forum do recommend products to make our lacklustre soft-tops look blacker, and I realise that he was probably just looking for a "get-out-of-jail-free" card, but just be aware that this may cause you some problems if you need to claim for the same thing.

I've read stuff on here that indicates having a new hood fitted is a bit of a nightmare, so I have mixed feelings about it all to be honest.

heathstimpson

Just make sure they use someone with expertise to swop over. My local dealer used Aston Martin down the road to do mine  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

kanujunkie

make sure they dont just change the fabric of the hood but the hole thing with the frame. Trust me, i know from experience that if they dont it'll generally go horribly wrong. Mr.T never got it right for me till they replaced the frame as well, total cost for roof replacement due to the f-ups was 22.5K!!
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Sandy Footwells

Thanks for the tips.

It never occurred to me that they would try to change just the fabric.

I hope this ends well.   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Sandy Footwells"Thanks for the tips.

It never occurred to me that they would try to change just the fabric.

I hope this ends well.   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
Thet always do as its a lot cheaper but false economy as the time it takes in labour is much more  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Just got back from Mr T after havin a new roof authorised under warranty as well - mine has a tear along one of the straps that help pull the ears in.

I'd searched on here & asked about new roof or just fabric after reading this thread. The technician told me that they wouldnt bother trying to replace just the fabric as it would be far too difficult so im getting a complete new roof.

He reckons they've done 2 in the last 6mths & both came back for adjustment a few weeks after fitting once they had 'settled' but after that they were perfect fits so im keeping my fingers crossed...

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Owen"Just got back from Mr T after havin a new roof authorised under warranty as well - mine has a tear along one of the straps that help pull the ears in.

I'd searched on here & asked about new roof or just fabric after reading this thread. The technician told me that they wouldnt bother trying to replace just the fabric as it would be far too difficult so I'm getting a complete new roof.

He reckons they've done 2 in the last 6mths & both came back for adjustment a few weeks after fitting once they had 'settled' but after that they were perfect fits so I'm keeping my fingers crossed...
Sounds like you local dealer has some sense  s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Im hoping   s:) :) s:)  

Will keep u posted...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Owen"Just got back from Mr T after havin a new roof authorised under warranty as well - mine has a tear along one of the straps that help pull the ears in.

Is this where the strap is sewn to the side of the roof?

Sandy Footwells

I asked if they'd done any before.  The service guy said they'd done 2 before and agreed with me when I said I'd heard it was a nightmare.  However, he wasn't sure if it was the fabric or the full roof that was coming.

Booked in for Friday 23rd.  I'm going to take some photos today of the roof (inside and out, hood up and down), before it goes in so I can show them what it used to look like if things go wrong.

Anonymous

Yep Mole, thats it. Mine booked in for 2nd April so will keep u posted...

Sandy Footwells

A quick update on my hood saga ...

Dropped the 2 off this morning.  I was called at 2:45pm to be told "they've sent the wrong part"

I was suspicious, so when I went to pick it up and got a different bloke I asked him what the problem had been with the soft-top.  He said "It ripped in the corners when they put it on.  I only overheard them talking about it, so I don't know the whole story".  s:( :( s:(  

I'm going away for work for a few days, so I've got a Yaris until Thursday.

I hope you have better luck, Owen - it sounds like your dealer has taken the sensible approach.

SimonC_Here

Your going to have to start a running tally.
Go for Stu's record of £22,000 or something.

Simon

Anonymous

Quote from: "Owen"Yep Mole, thats it. Mine booked in for 2nd April so will keep u posted...

Interesting, Inchcape Toyota at Guildford told me it wasn't covered, I'd just have to live with it.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Moleshome"
Quote from: "Owen"Yep Mole, thats it. Mine booked in for 2nd April so will keep u posted...

Interesting, Inchcape Toyota at Guildford told me it wasn't covered, I'd just have to live with it.

they're speaking bolocks, its definatley covered, speak to Abbey Citreon(formerly Abbey Toyota) in Redhill, they finally did mine and its been spot on
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Sandy Footwells

My business trip was cancelled, so I picked up the 2 today.  The dealer confirmed that they only replaced the fabric, but I have to say that it looks like a good job.  

There's some wind noise from the driver's window when you get above 50mph, that wasn't there before.  I'll let them know about that tomorrow (and search on the site for tonight, in case I can fix it).

I don't want to speak too soon, but it looks like I've been lucky.

aaronjb

Quote from: "Sandy Footwells"There's some wind noise from the driver's window when you get above 50mph, that wasn't there before.  I'll let them know about that tomorrow (and search on the site for tonight, in case I can fix it).

Make sure the soft-top is going the correct side of the plastic seal (i.e. 'under' it, rather than over the top of it) - mine has a habit of doing this after it's been down for an extended period over winter, and it causes a lot of wind noise.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Well after a week in an Aygo (Sport!!! How the hell they came up with that badging but hey..) i got my MR2  back with new stereo, reduced alarm sensitivity, de-squeaked clutch, touch-up stick & best of all brand new roof, am one happy bunny this eve!

Roof is tight at the moment but should slacken a little over the first few weeks they reckon, if not they will re-adjust it.

Asked for copies of the paperwork in case of warranty queries, total cost of replacement roof was £2600 plus vat!!! I love my dealer!!

Also (not that i wanna cause a debate as ive read sooo many) i asked about the precat issue. The dealer sat down with me & went thru the Toyota database online of known issues & fixes, said i was welcome to browse thru it while he sorted paperwork if i wanted & not a mention of anything to do with precat probs, tho a couple of minor issues with excessive oil consumption... will let u guys decide what to make of that as i really dont wanna get shouted down lol!

enid_b

good work owen, nice to see you getting VFM.

as for the precats, who you wanna believe? the guys that drive them and tinker with them, or a bunch of suits trying to save money and face?

i know where my thoughts are.

lol. keep up the good work and get that warranty working for you.

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Anonymous

Don't get me wrong, im not sayin i dont think there is an issue at all, just maybe thats is not as widespread as it seems from reading this site...? (runs & ducks for cover)

Ive done lots of reading on the subject & i wont be rushing out to gut my precats... i just get an impression that its more a case of people who've had major problems try n find others so it seems more widespread than it actually is here.

But in the event it happens i will willingly eat my words....   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

enid_b

i know what your sayin owen. however you must consider the following.

this site contains more than your average motorist.  the majority of folk on here spend more money, time, blood, sweat, tears etc than your average 'joe' driver.

indeed many of the elders here know the car inside out, and in fairness a lot of the toyota dealers have a standard phrase of 'oh erm...not sure we dont get many of them in here'

speculation and chat-mongering on here aside, i would suggest that you are more likely to get a better more technically accurate and often cheaper solution on here from someone who cares about the car so much to post articles about which dust cap to fit, and other obscure items as opposed to a corporate employee who turns up for work and works on cars which belong to people he does neither know or care about.

at the end of the day, you can do as much or as little on your car as you choose, and only you can decide this and also how much you want to spend on it.

-btw im typing this with a smile on my face and its not meant to be in the have a go category for one minute

but for the ease of the job and the peace of mind, get them precats out.

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Anonymous

I have to say if mine was a pre-facelift car i prob would consider gettin them out, but ive read several things now saying that post-03 cars have been revised (whether admitted by Toyota or not) and so on balance of things i prob wont worry about gettin them done at the moment...

On the other hand i do take on board what yr sayin and if i had even the slightest amount of technical ability i mite consider it but as i have neither ability, tools nor will, im reluctant to pay for something im not very certain about....

Tags: