MOT failure emissions

Started by Anonymous, March 16, 2007, 11:07

mr2mark

well thats your problem....... I had an audi today that failed ..... I'd picked it up from about a mile away where it had been parked all day..... I revved it around 4000rpm for a good 30 secs..... set the computer away again and it was fine ..... Its called "conditioning the catalyst" .... The tester should always have the car at normal operating temperature.

Anonymous

Probably difficult to say but how long would it take for the cat to reach operating temperature?
The other day at the garage I'd driven the car for a couple of miles to get there and it was then revved for about 5 minutes in total while he watched the reading to see if it was reducing but no change at all.
I'll call my Uncle tomorrow (he works at the dealer that carried out the MOT) and I'll ask him to find out if the car was "hot" first or not.

mr2mark

Oh if it was revved for about 5 mins it really should of been at normal operating temp...... it may be your cat ..... but its rare for a cat to knacker ...   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Bongo

Quote from: "markiii"strangely no dealer in the world has ever heard of the pre-cat problem can you say "corporate denial"

When I had a problem with failing emissions on an MOT it was the first thing they checked, citing it as very common thing to happen.

The actual cause for me was the O2 sensor,which had been threaded when we gutted the precats, not sealing properly.

These were my results when it failed:

Fast Idle test:
CO: 0.48% Vol - fail, (<= .30% pass)
HC: 17ppm vol (<= 200ppm pass)
Lambda .990 (pass range: 0970-1.030)

Second fast idle test
CO: 0.47%
HC: 7ppm
Lambda: .990

Anonymous

Those figures are very similar to mine then, so the cheapest positive result for me could be a dodgy O2 sensor.
Just a pain having to wait til Thursday to find out!
Incidentally if anyone in the south needs a good independant garage I know just the man. He's had many years experience at a main Toyota/Lexus dealer and now does exactly the same thing but for himself. He charges £25 per hour and is very honest and reliable.
His name is Ian and you can get him on 07833 545240.

Anonymous

Got the diagnosis back today. One of the oxygen sensors was knackered. New one will be £132+vat and is being fitted tomorrow. That price sound about right?

markiii

for toyota yes

still think they need to check teh bottom opf teh precats to be on teh safe side though
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

The part is from Toyota but an independant garage is fitting so the labour should only be about £30 with any luck. I'll get him to properly check the pre-cats too just to be sure.
Thanks for all the suggestions etc on here everybody. It will be nice to finally get my MOT done and be able to change my correctly spaced number plates back to my mis-spaced ones again!

Anonymous

Hooray Im £180 lighter but now have an MOT! Emissions are extremely low now so kind to the environment too!

Anonymous

Can someone explain to me why fitting a new sensor would reduce the emissions enough for this to pass, surely it is just a sensor and wouldn't have any effect on what the actual emissions were?

enid_b

i could be wrong (usually am) but here is my understanding

the o2 sensor measures the content of the exhaust gas in 2 places, once before the main cat, and once after it. they feed the measurements back into the ecu, and then it adjusts the mixture of fuel and air, in an attempt to keep the emissions low.

if one of them goes pop, then the measurements sent back are incorrect, causing an inbalance in fuel and air, causing a rich mixture, and dirty emissions.

swapping an o2 sensor could resolve this problem and rumour has it, improve mpg.

HTH

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

markiii

nearly

2 02 sensors are used for fuel trim before the precats

1 02 is poist main cat and is there purely to see if teh mixture is different to prove if the main cat is working.

they don't tune for emissions
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

enid_b

lol, furry muff.

knew it was along those lines lol

peace out brothers

(yes ive been drinking stellla again)
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

Anonymous

And what about your sisters?!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

enid_b

lol, furry muff.

knew it was along those lines lol

peace out brothers - and sisters (thanks) lol

(yes ive been drinking stellla again)

enid_b

Quote from: "enid_b"i could be wrong (usually am) but here is my understanding

the o2 sensor measures the content of the exhaust gas in 2 places, once before the main cat, and once after it. they feed the measurements back into the ecu, and then it adjusts the mixture of fuel and air, in an attempt to keep the emissions low.

if one of them goes pop, then the measurements sent back are incorrect, causing an inbalance in fuel and air, causing a rich mixture, and dirty emissions.

swapping an o2 sensor could resolve this problem and rumour has it, improve mpg.

HTH

E

lol told you i could be wrong......

and i was.

mroe beer pleeez

trickyD

Re:
Quote from: "enid_b"i could be wrong (usually am) but here is my understanding

HTH

E

Just a question to this (I have same symptoms)
Why doesn't this O2 failure show up as increased HC if it's running rich?
:/
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

redarrow

You lot make me lath a good mot man would
Try his hardiest to get you a pass.

I have a old cat and two Brocken o2
And a cracked pipe for just fun we left the car
Running over 40 minutes untill  you could
Fry dinner off the hood guess what it pass all
Emissions was only a test for fun .....

So i say it the time the tester let the car run  only my opinion

Example my mot man didn't care if he had to reset
The computer 10 times as long as it passes,
If your car pass everything except emission
But the tester can tell the car well looked after
The tester get it thru one way or another

No said it yet ,but it can even be leafs and grime in the air box.

Just stick some redex in the car drive for 40 minutes on a
Long road , then do the mot straight away never ever failed 99% time

When the car starts up is there smoke from exhaust if
So how long till it completely clears
[size=85]These are the dreaded code your get with cheap 02 sensors.
P0135 drivers side position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 1)
P0155 passengers side position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 2 sensor 1)
P0141 passengers side down below exhaust position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2[/size]

trickyD

Makes sense
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

Tags: