Loud[er] pedal now installed = Apexi

Started by Anonymous, November 12, 2003, 23:43

Anonymous

I installed my Apexi kit yesterday and wanted to give you all some feedback.

I have an '03, lowered, spoiler, bumper extensions and TTE pipes.

Firstly - it took just 35 mins to fit it.  The kit is extremely well made and precision engineered.  v. impressed

Use the how-to here -  m http://www.spydermagazine.com/2000/Sept/Apexi/apexi.htm m
It's very well written, though for UK cars you needn't worry about the PCV valve.  There's also no need to attach the filter element to the feeder tube when inside the bay.  It'll go in fine as a single unit.

Other pointers

1:  It's probably easier with one person.  You  need time to think calmly about the orientation of the brackets without a mate yelling "Let me try!"  A standard socket set will do the job.

2:  My kit came with an [additional?] metal shroud to cover the element.  I left it off 'cos it was fiddly and would probably dull the sound slightly.   I haven't heard anyone else mention this part.  Maybe it's new?

Somebody wrote elsewhere that it turned their 2 into a TVR.  For the sake of an accurate review I can tell you that it sounds nothing like a TVR - having driven a few.

It gives a *slightly loud* induction growl from 3,800rpm upwards when the throttle is at 70% and above.  It's not deafening but it does become ....nicely loud from 5,500 rpm.

At anything below 70% throttle you won't hear a thing, unless going up a steep hill.  That's because the induction kit only sucks enough air to create a resonant wave when under load....that means HARD acceleration.

I can't say that I've noticed any tangible performance improvement since fitting.  If there is a difference then only a dyno run would tell me.  I'd bet on 2-3% maximum.  What improvement there IS might very well be in my head.  It sounds faster.

Contrary to what is written elsewhere I doubt whether the standard filter had any real restrictions.  I think it could probably have got all the air the engine could possibly draw through the stock feeder pipe, even allowing for the narrowing.  I'd warrant that somebody at Toyota already did the fluid dynamic calcs on this.

Overall it's exactly what I wanted.  It makes the car sound like I thought it should before I took it out for a test drive.  There may be louder kits on the market but they would give me a headache and turn too many heads.  This is understated, and so I like it.....and my wife won't complain when she's moaning about her day and gets drowned out by a lion under the bonnet.

Slacey

Quote from: "rlack"2:  My kit came with an [additional?] metal shroud to cover the element.  I left it off 'cos it was fiddly and would probably dull the sound slightly.   I haven't heard anyone else mention this part.  Maybe it's new?
No, it's not new - I've had mine on for nearly a year now, and mine came with one - I think it's just to keep the filter dry when the car is at a standstill; there is a chance of rainwater running on to it from the decklid. I have mine on in winter, and take it off in the summer, but more for show than anything else. Oh, and the sound is no different!
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

heathstimpson

Did you have to inform your insurance about this change; and if so did it alter the premium?
Cheers,
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Quote from: "heathstimpson"Did you have to inform your insurance about this change; and if so did it alter the premium?
Cheers,

oh dear... sean will tell you the hassle he had about this one!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

That's a very good question.  I haven't mentioned anything to my insurers.  I'd plain forgotten.  

Stories please......

Anonymous

heathstimpson

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"read this:

m http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=917 m
oops sounds like it could be trouble. I'll check my insurers first I think, if not wait until renewal for a mod friendly one.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Quote from: "heathstimpson"if not wait until renewal for a mod friendly one.

Thats what i intend to do next year.

Slacey

*grumble*

Bl**dy insurance companies!   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

*grumble*
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Tags: