Think my pre-cats have knackered my engine?

Started by Anonymous, March 19, 2007, 09:43

Anonymous

The only fully synth 15W50 I could find was Motul 300 @ £30 for 5L which I though was pretty cheap considering Mobil1 is about £45

I'm going to do the oil change later today and then run my car for a couple of days to see what happens...   s:?: :?: s:?:  

However, I believe my engine is totally screwed and I wouldn't feel comfortable flogging it to anyone in the state it's in, I owe money on it and what I'd get wouldn't cover the repayments. I'd rather buy a newer engine and then just keep the car.

So, I'll need a 2zz engine with low(ish) mileage right? (where do I look - breakers?) What bits do I need to make sure I buy? how much is reasonable to pay for the engine? How much should it cost to have it replaced at a garage?

I'd rather pay a bit more now and replace everything that's potentially knackered.

Peter Wright

Quote from: "Gav1980"What bits do I need to make sure I buy? how much is reasonable to pay for the engine? How much should it cost to have it replaced at a garage?
m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... transplant m
For more info search for 2zz transplant on here & spyderchat
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

Tem

Quote from: "Gav1980"So, I'll need a 2zz engine with low(ish) mileage right?

Since you said in earlier posts that you just want it fixed, I have to ask...you do know that 2ZZ-GE is the 190hp engine from T-Sport Toyotas, right?

We have a 1ZZ-FE stock. 1ZZ is cheap and basically you just need the engine without any accessories or electrics. 2ZZ is very expensive (compared to 1ZZ anyway) and you need plenty to go with it.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

steve b

I'd  bite the bullet and get Rogue to do a 2zz conversion then at least you have a decent engine you don't need to worry about.  It'll also increase the value of your car to those in the know.  The 1zz issues were the 2nd main reason I didn't buy an MRS, behind the lack of space and I couldn't afford a facelifted car at the time.
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

Anonymous

s:?: :?: s:?:  A neighbour of mine has suggested Holts Piston Seal...

m http://www.holtsauto.com/ m  (go here and put Piston seal in the search)

...anyone know if this is any good  s:?: :?: s:?:  or seriously bad for my engine  s:?: :?: s:?:  

I'm willing to try it and let you know the results provided there isn't anything that's going to make my problem worse  s:!: :!: s:!:  

I can get it from hellfords (for about £10-£15 I think)

markiii

no idea if it will work, but I doubt it will make matters worse
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Well, having suggested the Holts piston seal he went and bought me some other stuff - as payment for the lawnmower I just gave him (I didn't want anything for it as it didn't cost me anything!)  s:? :? s:?  

He got me:

STP oil treatment (blue 450ml bottle, red cap) - not be used on vehicles with a wet clutch - is that me?

Wynn's Stop Smoke Oil Supplement, (Clear 325ml bottle with yellow liquid)

Having no knowledge of oil additives I'm now concerned about mixing these things together   s:? :? s:?   no idea what kind of reactions there may be between them... anyone know  s:?: :?: s:?:  

Any suggestions as to which one may be best to try if not both together  s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:  

Thanks

kanujunkie

havn't a clue as to wether you can mix them all together but no you dont have a wet clutch
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Tem

Generally, it's not a good idea to mix additives, unless you know what you're doing. Just use either one at a time and try the other one afterwards, if you still think you need it. I have no idea which might be better, I've used STP myself.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"Generally, it's not a good idea to mix additives, unless you know what you're doing. Just use either one at a time and try the other one afterwards, if you still think you need it. I have no idea which might be better, I've used STP myself.

Figured it probably wouldn't be good to mix them! Have you used STP in your '2?

Well, I'll try the STP first anyway and give it a good while to get to work. Fingers crossed my engine can see me through until I've finished paying for my wedding... only a week and half away now so I may not be back on here for a while.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Cheers all for your advice so far. Gav

Tem

Quote from: "Gav1980"Have you used STP in your '2?

No, just with older cars, like my current ~400tkm Crown.  s8) 8) s8)

I think...and I'm only guessing here...that most of those oil stop additives only aim and valve seals and such and wouldn't help with worn cylinder walls at all. I hope I'm wrong though.  s:? :? s:?

I've only come across one product that helps with worn bores, RVS. Might wanna consider it, if these additives don't help you.
 m http://www.rvs-tec.com/English/index.htm m

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"I've only come across one product that helps with worn bores, RVS. Might wanna consider it, if these additives don't help you.
 m http://www.rvs-tec.com/English/index.htm m

just had a visit to the link Tem sent and it looks like it could be very useful... I will try the other things first (changing oil each time) (how long / how many miles should I give each additive to get to work before I decide if it works or not  s:?: :?: s:?:  )
and if they don't work I'll try the RVS. It's gotta be worth a go at saving the engine before I go for a replacement...
Besides, it'll be interesting (if not altogether scientific) research for anyone else that want's to have a go. (Yes, I'm a scientist but one that normally deals with things you can't see...)  s:!: :!: s:!:  

Gav

Tem

Quote from: "Gav1980"I will try the other things first (changing oil each time) (how long / how many miles should I give each additive to get to work before I decide if it works or not  s:?: :?: s:?:  )

You should notice it relatively fast, within 100 miles or so.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"You should notice it relatively fast, within 100 miles or so.

Quick update for those that are following my progress...

I put the STP in last night and within the 20 mile trip to work this morning I noticed that the loud rattle the engine had under acceleration has diminished significantly, which is promising  s:) :) s:)    s:? :? s:?  ...  s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:  

It still has a little single "putt" under deceleration sometimes so the engine is still a bit poorly  s:( :( s:(  ... will keep a close eye on oil levels... fingers crossed the car will see me through to my next pay day - BONUS time  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D  ! (Plus I'm in line for a nice payout cos the new owners of the company want to change everyone's contracts and they're offering a nice bribe  s:!: :!: s:!:  )  s:D :D s:D  

Oh, and my neighbour has a compression testing kit that I'll be borrowing very soon (along with his expertise)...

Gav

Wabbitkilla

I think you will find eveyone who has had their pre-cats taken out and kept the manifold will get the occassional "phutt" on over-run.

I think it's something to do with the large volume expansion "chamber" now that the pre-cats aren't filling them up.
Hot gases + rich mixture on over-run + chambered manifold = ignited combustion in the exhaust manifold.

So it might not be anything to worry about particularly.  s:? :? s:?
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

OK, I went away for a while to get married etc...

Now I'm back and am having a compression test done (this week i hope) by my neighbour who knows what he's doing.

So, I'm pretty sure all it will do is confirm my engine is shot and I need to replace it. It's still going through oil like a hot knife through butter. I've got a few questions   s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:  and have searched the forum and not come to any conclusions... possibly 'cos I'm a bit stupid or my head is still in the Maldives...

Elephant won't continue to insure me if the engine replacement increases the BHP at all so the 2ZZ is probably out of the question (although £45 to cancel the Elephant policy isn't much when you consider the benefits of the 2ZZ) anyone got a rough idea of how much the insurance would increase?   s:?: :?: s:?:  and who i should use?   s:?: :?: s:?:  if I got rogue to do the swap.

Alternatively, I could replace the engine with a post-03 MR2 engine - are these still 1zz-fe???  s:?: :?: s:?:   i don't want another pre-03 engine like mine. Is there any increase in BHP between the pre and post 03 roadster engines?  s:?: :?: s:?:   Do I need to get the 6-speed gearbox put in as well?   s:?: :?: s:?:  

Sorry for all the Q's. Gutted I missed out on the corky group buy - not that I'll be able to afford anything else for a while now!

thanks

Tags: