Best position for axle stands?

Started by Anonymous, April 3, 2007, 16:31

Anonymous

Im painting my calipers but i cant work out the best position for my axle stands and i ibviously dont want to put the in the wrong place! Any advice/pics?
Thanks.

markiii

don't take as gospel but usually I jack up with teh stock jack points and put teh axle stands under the seem just in front of them.

if you can get a trolley jack under to teh centre jack point then put your axle stands under the stock jack points
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

rtbiscuit

i concur with that.
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

aaronjb

Personally I always put them where the jacking points are on the sills (the dimples) - though I'm perhaps lucky, my axle stands have very 'wide' tops, and a bit of shop-cloth (an old bed sheet torn up!) wrapped around them makes sure I don't accidentally nick the paintwork.

Use a trolley jack on the front & rear jacking points to get them onto them.. aha:

Pah, beaten to it I see  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Thanks guys, my axle stands dont have the grooves though, they are simply half moon shaper, like this ) on its side. I take i just put them crossways at the jacking points?

aaronjb

Mine are half moon too (well, more flat-bottomed-V shaped really) - and like I say, a bit of folded up old sheet (I used a bit about 4in x 2ft) and they do just fine under the jacking points.. like this:

`

`-|-' /
   |  /
  ---/
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Thanks Aaron  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Bit of old rubber car mat does the job nicely as well.

Anonymous

1000 posts! Am i a post whore now?

Anonymous

yes

Anonymous

maybe

Anonymous

Great, im finally officially a tart! Ladies please form an orderly queue, no pushing, biting, scratching or fainting, theres plenty for all!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

proeliator2001

I'm opening up an old thread here but, and it could just be my work internet connection is blocking it, the above picture link with the jack positions isn't working  s:( :( s:(   Going to do a full service and diff oil change at weekend and wanted to know where to shove the trolley jack and a picture paints a 1000 words!
Official - old git alert. 42 years old!
Facts  are meaningless - they can be used to prove anything.

2004 MR2 in silver with hardtop, leather, aircon and only 1 door handle.(11 happy years together and counting!)

Gif

Quote from: "proeliator2001"the above picture link with the jack positions isn't working  s:( :( s:(  
Think  it's more to do with the link being wrong as I can't see that pic either and pasting into the browser gets a re-direct suggesting the domain is not there.  Aaron   s:?: :?: s:?:

Just to add, if this image is the one from the Manual then it's singularly unhelpful. It refers to jacking points on the Front Crossmember and Rear axle beam but does not show locations for these descriptions.  Has an MR2 got a rear axle beam    s:? :? s:?
Audi TT 200 Tfsi Roadster, Ibis White, Steptronic, Bose, Nav, Climate, Telcon, Nappa Leather
Ex BMW Z4 sDrive30i Auto, Titan Silver
Ex MR2 Roadster, Sahara Sun, Black Leather, Air Con, TTE exhaust

roger

For a trolley jack you can lift in the middle of the front cross member or on the rear engine mount. No pictures I'm afraid, but I'm sure its in the handbook.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Gif

Ah, the handbook decides to describe it as a Rear Engine mounting bracket which is a slightly different animal to a rear axle beam   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  gonna see if I can gets some pics shortly so we can nail this beyond doubt for those who are not sure like me   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Audi TT 200 Tfsi Roadster, Ibis White, Steptronic, Bose, Nav, Climate, Telcon, Nappa Leather

Gif

So are these the positions?

1 Front

2 Rear

Anonymous

Second one is definitely correct, and going on the pics the front looks good too.

StuM

Depending on the stance of your car, to get near the centre jacking points, you may first need to lift up on the side jack - I can't get a trolley jack under my TTE lowered car...
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

roger

I bought a thinner jack when I lowered. Amazing how 2 jacks come in useful some times   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

carl_evs

I've always covered the mounts on my axle stands and used the subframe at the rear - always been nice and sturdy ( in fact it sat for 2 months like that over the winter!!)
2nd Place - Northern Treasure Hunt

\'52 Lagoon Blue SMT - Likwidart graphics - quite a bit of other stuff...most homemade!!

Quote from: \"nelix\"Sold him my knob, fast payment, thanks

loadswine

Had mine up on axle stands for most of last week for a bit of a spring clean. I have a trolley jack with a low front and it even gets under my side skirts. I use wooden blocks to carry the force from the jack and the support from the stands on the chassis rails.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Gif

Quote from: "loadswine"Had mine up on axle stands
How old are those blue and red axle stands then?  I reckon they are Halfords circa 1979?

mrzwei

Quote from: "Gif"
How old are those blue and red axle stands then?  I reckon they are Halfords circa 1979?

Best position for axle stands is probably under the axles   s:D :D s:D  . A beema might have one although I doubt it,  but not much else unless you're into classics. Need to be pc here and change the name, srs vehicle support utility (srsvcu's) or something like that.

My ones look that old too   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

loadswine

Quote from: "Gif"

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Yep, about right I reckon, not quite as old as me though. Old tools can work too!

( Just waiting for someone to use that as their sig! lol)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Tags: