Will I need an octane booster? If so which one?

Started by ChrisGB, April 16, 2007, 01:37

ChrisGB

Hi to All

I am having the MR2 mapped today for V-Power fuel at 99RON. The setup is naturally aspirated. I wondered if I will need to carry a bottle of octane booster around just in case I get stuck somewhere where I can only get 95 or 97RON fuel.

Will I need to run octane booster if I can only find 95 / 97RON?

Anyone use octane booster? If so which ones work? I had a look at the Aussie test results, but only the NOS product is commonly available here. And yes, I did search.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

rtbiscuit

im sure the unichip can have 2 map settings. one can be tuned fornormal aggressive driving and the ol 99 ron.

and the other can either be used to set the car back as standard, or could be mapped but with a lower fuel.

cost wise i would say your best bet is to keep one map for a stock setup. also means you won't need to tune the car twice,once on 99 ron and once on 95 ron.

i ould be completely wrong on this by the way, as i don't have a unichip, but i'm sure i have heard this discussed before. i'm sure others will be along at some point to fill in the gaps. (or to correct me)  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

Anonymous

Millers do one which I've used before, and there's also another one whose name escapes me in the end. The NOS one is about £20 IIRC which is far too much, check Demon Tweeks for the Millers which is only £5 per bottle. I used that on my old tubby and it did the job perfectly.

However, Rich is right in saying that you're best off leaving one map blank and switching to it should you ever get stuck.

Leeber

Slightly OT, but is V-Power really 99 RON? I thought it was 97.

Scratch that last comment, just had a look at Shell's website.   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  Well I never....
I\'m Pink, Therefore I\'m Spam.

northernalex

Hmm i'm going to have to think about what fuel I fill up with when i get the emanage tuned now too...  Was going to go for sainsburys/tescos 97 RON petrol but if shell is 99 ron?

Alex
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

evileye_wrx

I'm a Tesco's man myself . Just cos I have 2 close to me and they are cheap. I just hope there is  one in wigan for when we go.

OT 'Here comes the rain' as Ian Astbury once said!

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

roger

Personally I would be careful not to allow the fuel to get to a level where accessibility of 99RON became a problem.

Having said that it happened to me once! The garage had run out of Optimax. I certainly wouldn't and didn't fill the tank, and for normal driving it didn't make the slightest bit of difference, so I honestly don't see the need to boost the 95RON.

The next garage won't be that too far away.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

rtbiscuit

i'm sure you can have it setup with 2 settings, one for high octane and one for low. just have that all set to 0, for a normal ecu setup.
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

DannyN

Phil
There is a Sainsbury's just down the road from Hyper Sports and that does super unleaded petrol

Danny

Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

northernalex

nice one danny!!! you're a star

But yeah with the unichip u have two maps..do what all the others are saying,, get one tuned leave one blank  s:) :) s:)
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

ChrisGB

Sort of academic for the time being, but does the UK Unichip have facility for two maps?

As for fuels, Tesco 99 is a widely available excellent fuel IMO. I only ran out of V-Power once so far, when the garages in my area had all run out of the stuff. I would be happy to run either in a car mapped for 99 RON fuel.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Chris

Quote from: "ChrisGB"Sort of academic for the time being, but does the UK Unichip have facility for two maps?

pretty sure it does (well, at least the us groupbuy ones do) , but there seems to be confusion for some tuners on how to get it working...
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

kanujunkie

Quote from: "ChrisGB"Sort of academic for the time being, but does the UK Unichip have facility for two maps?

i've got one of those fandango newage things at home here called a telephone, call dastek and ask them
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Leeber

Quote from: "kanujunkie"i've got one of those fandango newage things at home here called a telephone, call dastek and ask them

lol, ever the voice of reason Stu.  s:D :D s:D  

Just to clear up any confusion, Shell V-power and Tesco's Super = 99 RON.

Every other "Super" grade fuel = 97 RON.

That's right isn't it?

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Leeber"
Quote from: "kanujunkie"i've got one of those fandango newage things at home here called a telephone, call dastek and ask them

bloody engineers eh!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  we do a good speciality in winding pilots up as well  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Leeber

Quote from: "kanujunkie"bloody engineers eh!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  we do a good speciality in winding pilots up as well  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Not half as much as handling agents/ground staff do. Servisair get my vote every time mate.

Anyway, we digress.

ChrisGB

Quote from: "kanujunkie"

i've got one of those fandango newage things at home here called a telephone, call dastek and ask them

I could do that I suppose. I have been on the phone to them enough trying to get to the bottom of the other problem. Once that is sussed out, I will find out about the 2nd program option.

And stop showing off your technology. I could have a telephone as well if I wanted  s8) 8) s8)  

Chris

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Leeber"

Just to clear up any confusion, Shell V-power and Tesco's Super = 99 RON.

Every other "Super" grade fuel = 97 RON.

That's right isn't it?
Yep Sainsburys Super unleaded is 97Ron  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

northernalex

tesco super is 97 up here
evileye_xc said:

heathstimpson

Quote from: "northernalex"tesco super is 97 up here
So the whole country doesn't get the 99 octane yet at Tescos  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Very surprising  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Tags: