charge cooler install

Started by kanujunkie, April 18, 2007, 20:28

kanujunkie

As you may or may not know, Mark and myself are about to embark on a chargecooler install. I've started this thread so that we can get the communities advice and thoughts on things and problems

to start with were going to be move the stock coolant bottle, does anyone think there will be too many problems if its dropped by 1"?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

SteveJ

Simple answer to the bottle question - Yes there will almost certainly be problems with it blowing coolant out when hot resulting in air getting drawn back in when the car is cold and the coolant has contracted  s:( :( s:(

With the turbo I would like to be able to raise the bottle up but there isnt room to do it.

Peter Wright

To start with for the more ignorant members like myself, what is a
chargecooler and what does it do
Pete
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

kanujunkie

problem is i have to move it for the CC coolant bottle to go in but at best it'll be 1cm lower than stock  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

SteveJ

Without seeing what you have bought and are proposing for the install I'm not sure what to suggest, but given that the coolant always drops to the minimum mark after a while no matter how often you top it up (because the excess gets blown out when the car gets really hot which is always a possibility with the turbo), I would suggest that unless you introduce a larger capacity bottle, then lowering it is going to be fraught with potential airlock problems  s:( :( s:(

markiii

Quote from: "Peter Wright"To start with for the more ignorant members like myself, what is a
chargecooler and what does it do
Pete

same as an intercooler

but done using water
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

markiii

Quote from: "SteveJ"Without seeing what you have bought and are proposing for the install I'm not sure what to suggest, but given that the coolant always drops to the minimum mark after a while no matter how often you top it up (because the excess gets blown out when the car gets really hot which is always a possibility with the turbo), I would suggest that unless you introduce a larger capacity bottle, then lowering it is going to be fraught with potential airlock problems  s:( :( s:(

tend to think your right
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

SteveJ

I would have thought the location of the inter-cooler header tank should be fairly flexible - the only restriction is that it must be the highest point in the system to capture any air bubbles.

Given that the temperature of the coolant is unlikely to increase much, then you wont need the header to act as an expansion tank either (any expansion should be absorbed by the flexible tubing running forward to the rad). This should result in a relatively small unit that can be hidden just about anywhere in the engine bay (away from extreme sources of heat obviously  s;) ;) s;)  )

loadswine

I was thinking of siting my header tank behind the battery. Not such a brilliant place for topping up, but easier to get the height you need to fill the CC system. I just need to get a bit of hosing and then I can be resiting mine while you install yours, so we can all have fun in different locations!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
Where did you source your hose?
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

markiii

Nige, nicy easy place for you is where teh charcoal canister used to be

had a quick look tonight and reckon that there might be room for both in Stus case  :-) :-) :-)  subject to a small modification of teh bracket

loadswine

I like that idea Mark. There is loads of space on that side in my engine bay. Just need to get a few metres of suitable hose now.
Resiting will tidy up the install no end.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "markiii"Nige, nicy easy place for you is where the charcoal canister used to be

so you reckon we should loose the charcoal canister then Mark?

do we nee to do anything when we pull it out then? or just unplug it?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "kanujunkie"so you reckon we should loose the charcoal canister then Mark?

do we nee to do anything when we pull it out then? or just unplug it?

I just put the lines together.

There's a VSV on the intake pipe, which opens under strong vacuum and creates vacuum in the tank through the canister. The canister is there only to catch gas fumes and it's not that important. But the vacuum in the tank might have a reason?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

kanujunkie

cheers Tem, i seem to remember that Dan ran his without the canister, i'll give him a bell later and see if he had any issues
[size=100]Stu[/size]

markiii

dan still used teh canioster but had the lines from it purged outside rather to teh VSV

Nige has his removed altogether

however I reckon thewre is room for both if teh bracket isd modified

SteveJ

Martin ran his PE without the vacuum lines connected and found that the fuel gauge was a little unpredictable - it would read anywhere between half full and empty when the tank was almost dry   s:? :? s:?  This almost caught me out on the way back from Anglesey (I'm glad I refilled the jerry can before setting off   s:) :) s:)  )

kanujunkie

Quote from: "markiii"however I reckon thewre is room for both if the bracket isd modified

you've not seen the tanks yet though  s:? :? s:?

btw i have some 90deg stainless brackets for us to use, courtesy of the kitchen modifications  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

loadswine

Are you going to tile the engine bay as well Stu?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

kanujunkie

Quote from: "loadswine"Are you going to tile the engine bay as well Stu?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

could be an interesting install  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

pre-rads just turned up, unfortunatly i now need to find a px switch for it to plug the sensor hole up  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

kanujunkie

anyone know any sources of 100mm Dia p-clips?

need them to mount the CC, first though was motorbike exhaust hangers but i'm either finding they cost a bomb or are too large
[size=100]Stu[/size]

loadswine

You could try the universal band from these folks who do supplies for kit cars. Their P clips only go up to about 60mm, but the bands are more dimensionally flexible. ( you can tell I've had a glass of wine or two!)
 m http://www.nfauto.co.uk/consumables.htm m

aaronjb

Pah, you engineering types.. giant tie-wrap not good enough for you?   s:P :P s:P    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

kanujunkie

cheers for the idea Nige, i'd already seen that but i'm trying to use a p-clip that will support the CC from all sides properly and i wasn't convinced that that strap type material would. I'd found that micron exhaust cans are the same diameter as the CC but the hangers cost over £20 each!

as for tie-wraps!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

aaronjb

Surely (with the strapping) you could 'form' it around the CC so it makes an almost complete circle, then bolt it to the bodywork, and then slide the CC in?

Or something along those lines.

C'mon, tiewrap it on y'great jesse.  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

kanujunkie

no argument on that one, i could definatly form it, however the metal is a perforated material for a start thats plastic coated and over time it will marr the finish of the CC and damage it in time. Proper p-clips have heavy rubber in them and will step the CC away from the metal behind and i'd much rather use them
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tags: