charge cooler install

Started by kanujunkie, April 18, 2007, 20:28

kanujunkie

that should give a better area to length coverage, only thing is the volume increase will create a bit more lag although that should be minimul especially with the system you have  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"Ta Stu - I was trying to remember if we decided 8 or 10" would fit in my upper boost pipe space.. I'll have to measure again  s:) :) s:)

I think I'll go for the 6" diameter - probably a 6x8.

I have some new 5" cores coming out next month. These fill the gap between the 4 and the 6, but don't have the over large 3" inlet and outlets that can cause installation issues sometimes.

Some more independant results. The first is from an Alpine GTA, rear engine turbo car which suffers more heat soak issues than you will occur.
He is running 1 bar of boost too, on a 50 Trim T3, so even the compressor is past efficiency too. This was tested on a 26 degree day last Summer.

m http://www.renaultalpineownersclub.com/ ... rees#16677 m

This one is a Renault 5 GT turbo, running 1.5 bar on a T28 sized blower. Currently puts out just over 240bhp, and runs low 12 second quarter miles.

m http://tinyurl.com/2g2p4z m

Cheers

David

Tem

Quote from: "chargecooler"I have some new 5" cores coming out next month. These fill the gap between the 4 and the 6, but don't have the over large 3" inlet and outlets that can cause installation issues sometimes.

Hi David,

do you have these 5" cores already? Do you have the measurements for these as your homepage only covers 4" and 6" models?

m http://www.advancedvehicletuning.co.uk/avtpwr.htm m
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "chargecooler"I have some new 5" cores coming out next month. These fill the gap between the 4 and the 6, but don't have the over large 3" inlet and outlets that can cause installation issues sometimes.

Hi David,

do you have these 5" cores already? Do you have the measurements for these as your homepage only covers 4" and 6" models?

m http://www.advancedvehicletuning.co.uk/avtpwr.htm m

Ah yes, I havent got round to adding them to the site yet, they were delayed quite a while. Give me a day and it will be all updated with prices and dimensions.

aaronjb

David, your store appears to be a little.. broken:

QuoteFatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in C:Inetpubvhostsadvancedvehicletuning.co.ukhttpdocscatalogincludesfunctionsdatabase.php on line 44

And you should probably start cloaking your error pages, or it makes it really easy to start performing directory traversal attacks, amongst other things  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

custardavenger

Hey Mark and Stu

Any chance you could post some details on how you had your CC pumps wired in and where to?
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

markiii

pumps was mounted toi teh undersideof the metal strut supportig teh front bin, then wired into the fusebox under teh nose

tap into the power busbar and mount a new relay
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

custardavenger

OK will have a look at that. Is it the 7.5A fuse you used for the Pump?
Project Custard Clicky

markiii

that I don;t know Simon and Rogers CC are wired up teh same way best bet get one of them to check
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

custardavenger

Cool I did have a search but couldn't find the power rating for the Bosch pump anywhere.
Project Custard Clicky

Tem

Quote from: "custardavenger"Cool I did have a search but couldn't find the power rating for the Bosch pump anywhere.

I'm not sure if this one is identical to the one they sell on their site, but says 1.3A:
 m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Charge-cooler-pum ... 1|240:1318 m

I'm sure 7.5A fuse is more than enough though.  s8) 8) s8)

Ah, nevermind, they say max 5A on their site:
 m http://www.advancedvehicletuning.co.uk/ ... ucts_id=28 m

custardavenger

Sweet. Didn't realise they sold them (couldn't afford them so didn't look).

I'm gonna start getting all the stuff at the front of the car installed then look into the tank and CC when back on the road. I guess its off to the pond center then. Haven't totally decided yet but may reduce down after the pump to 1/2" rather than 3/4", will be much easier for fittings at the other end.
Project Custard Clicky

roger

Will look this weekend Rob. That E-bay one is what I've got.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Tem

Re:
Quote from: "aaronjb"Yeah - Horsepowerinabox.com have good prices on the barrels.  They're in Australia, but I dealt with them when I got the turbos on the Nissan - helpful folks (at least they were then).

Thanks!

Three emails to chargecooler.co.uk without a reply. One email to horsepowerinabox.com and a reply within a day.  s:D :D s:D

aaronjb

Quote from: "Tem"Three emails to chargecooler.co.uk without a reply. One email to horsepowerinabox.com and a reply within a day.  s:D :D s:D

Good to see their customer service is still good  s:) :) s:)

Rob - I also have the eBay pump, and it's working fine for me. My rad is also 12mm, the rest of the system is 19mm.

[edit] Oops sorry, didn't mean to post the giant pics straight from the camera! [/edit]
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

Star_69

Do love the look of the set ups in this thread guys. Looks like the ultimate cooling solution reading around on other forums. Wish I had room   s:( :( s:(  

From horsepowerinabox.com total for the 4 x 6 kit with everything is 459.99 quid delivered. Probably about 528 after tax has been whacked on. Seems like a bargain!

As well as chucking out more power is the throttle response response from less lag compared to an intercooler noticeable?

Also they have 2.3" intake diameter. Would flanging down from 2.5 or 2.75 matter or is it immaterial?
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

Tem

Quote from: "aaronjb"

Do you have a pic of that with the bumper on?  s8) 8) s8)

aaronjb

I do, but the full-size UK plate I had on at the time covers pretty much everything:

Tem

That's good enough, thanks!  s:D :D s:D  

Browsing around eBay, I came up with radiators like this:
 m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PEUGEOT-CITROEN-A ... dZViewItem m

Any thoughts about these for chargecooler coolant? I like how it has an integrated tank and pressure cap...and the price is pretty nice too. Radiator for 1.6l GTI/VTS cars should be more than enough for a chargecooler coolant, right?

No idea if that specific model fits us, but there are other similar models and there's quite a lot of room between our radiator and the bumper.

aaronjb

Capacity wise that would be fine, but room wise there's less room than you'd think, especially if the rad has outlets that face 'backward' toward the car - there's not enough room to get a 32mm bend (the usual ID of radiator hose, if memory serves) in there..

You really need a rad with two outlets at one end if you're using a car radiator - like the Rover Metro Turbo rad that Stu and Mark used (for the early model Metro only, late models from 84 onward used one rear facing outlet if memory serves).  Like this one.

Tem

Quote from: "aaronjb"Capacity wise that would be fine, but room wise there's less room than you'd think, especially if the rad has outlets that face 'backward' toward the car - there's not enough room to get a 32mm bend (the usual ID of radiator hose, if memory serves) in there..

I was thinking the other way around, facing the outlet forward and then using a 90degree silicone bend, which reduces it from 32mm to 25mm (happen to have a pair of those) and then using a metal garden hose connector, which happens to be 25mm on the other end and meant for 19mm hose.

I didn't really check the fitment though..  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

QuoteYou really need a rad with two outlets at one end if you're using a car radiator - like the Rover Metro Turbo rad that Stu and Mark used (for the early model Metro only, late models from 84 onward used one rear facing outlet if memory serves).  Like this one.

That would be easier. I just searched eBay for "radiator" and browsed the first 30 pages of pics and didn't see any of these.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

custardavenger

Quote from: "Tem"That's good enough, thanks!  s:D :D s:D  
Browsing around eBay, I came up with radiators like this:
 m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PEUGEOT-CITROEN-A ... dZViewItem m

Any thoughts about these for chargecooler coolant? I like how it has an integrated tank and pressure cap...and the price is pretty nice too. Radiator for 1.6l GTI/VTS cars should be more than enough for a chargecooler coolant, right?

No idea if that specific model fits us, but there are other similar models and there's quite a lot of room between our radiator and the bumper.

I would say it might work it if you had the outlets facing forward but as Aaron says it could be very tight. The thing I would worry about is whether the top of the rad is higher than your charge cooler. Depending on your instalation than mught be difficult.

Quote from: "aaronjb"Rob - I also have the eBay pump, and it's working fine for me. My rad is also 12mm, the rest of the system is 19mm.

I've already got the pump and Metro rad. So rad to the header on your is 12mm and to the CC is 19mm? I'm looking at the other way round? Mighty funky hose you've used. Is that vacuum hose

I guess as there is a fair bit of interest I may try and do a drawing of the brackets needed to mount a metro rad for anyone else who wants to do it. Has anyone got pictures of theirs? I've had a look already but am not sure that my first idea will be strong enough as the rad whan full is gonna be pretty heavy and it's weight is only supported by the bottom brackets.
Project Custard Clicky

Tem

Quote from: "custardavenger"The thing I would worry about is whether the top of the rad is higher than your charge cooler. Depending on your instalation than mught be difficult.

The cooler will be quite low, barely above the rear subframe.

Btw, why's that? I've read it before, but didn't quite get it. Is it because air is supposed to end up to the highest point? Does it do that anyway on the '2, cause the rad and CC will be high points with the hoses going under the car?

custardavenger

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "custardavenger"The thing I would worry about is whether the top of the rad is higher than your charge cooler. Depending on your instalation than mught be difficult.

The cooler will be quite low, barely above the rear subframe.

Btw, why's that? I've read it before, but didn't quite get it. Is it because air is supposed to end up to the highest point? Does it do that anyway on the '2, cause the rad and CC will be high points with the hoses going under the car?

Its the air thing and also when you undo the cap the water above that level will flow out. If your below that then no problems.
Project Custard Clicky

Tem

Quote from: "custardavenger"also when you undo the cap the water above that level will flow out

Ah, of course.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Tags: