charge cooler install

Started by kanujunkie, April 18, 2007, 20:28

kanujunkie

sorry, been completely knackered after the last 6 days of slog. Firstly a huge thanks to Mark and Aaron for all their help with this, without them it wouldn't have happened, it turns out that a CC install aint as easy as we at first thought and is not far short of a turbo in time. The install of the parts wasn't too bad, just time consuming fabing up all the brackets, the nightmare is in the pipework, its like trying to get a football through a mousehole, not easy.

as for the gains, well its hard for me to say exactly as my intercooler was completely knackered, once we got it off we found 2 fairly sizeable holes in it and hence why i could only make 2-3psi on a normal run. Pre CC i was unable to touch the intake tract as it was so hot it would burn your hand, now i'm able to touch it and it feels cool to the touch. As for pressures, i'm back up to 5-6psi on the wastegate, it pulls like a train though, i hate to see what its going to be like with a tune and 10-12psi, grin territory galore  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

i'll post piccies in a bit
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

kanujunkie

turns out i didn't take anywhere near the photo's that i thought i did  s:? :? s:?  

PWR 4x10 Barrel chargecooler with some brackets welded on

the pump is a Bosch PA6 and is clamped on with an Austin Mini distributor clamp

the infamous can of WD40 is still in the car, just in a different location now

Header tank

Pump Location

Pre rad install
[size=100]Stu[/size]

markiii

well thats the hard pics stu

should be able to take loads more of teh finished install
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

PMSL at the use of the WD40 still!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

markiii

you'll never guess who following last times missing silicone hose, forgot one this time as well  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

aaronjb

Crap, my fat gut got into another photo!
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

spit

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Nice teaser pics Stu. Great to see you've found a new home for the can.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

heathstimpson

Roll on Mark's install  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

So, accepting your IC was creamed so a comparison is difficult, is a CC more efficient than an IC?

markiii

hard one si

air to air s better if you can get airflow

air to water is better if you can't

on a roadster i'd say yes, though TTE do very well with an air to air

kanujunkie

Quote from: "markiii"you'll never guess who following last times missing silicone hose, forgot one this time as well  :-) :-) :-)

didn't forget them, they were ordered about 6 weeks ago, just the bloody company couldn't get their fingers out and deliver them, ironically they were sat on the door mat when i got home  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

last time i read up on CC's they were meant to be 50% more efficient than IC's btw Si

and heath, your IC is out of Marks 2  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

**runs off to add a can of WD40 to the garage**
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Ta.

off topic. Was your boost gauge problem just a gauge problem Stu?

kanujunkie

no, it was reading correctly but most of the boost pressure was p**sing out of the 2 holes in the intercooler.

Heat soak times with a CC seem to be around 20mins after that the boost seems to drop slightly and performance is limited slightly, intake temps seem to be very resonable still though although i havn't been able to get an exact reading on them yet
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"no, it was reading correctly but most of the boost pressure was p**sing out of the 2 holes in the intercooler.

Heat soak times with a CC seem to be around 20mins after that the boost seems to drop slightly and performance is limited slightly, intake temps seem to be very resonable still though although i havn't been able to get an exact reading on them yet

No, I can imagine it's difficult to hold a thermometer in the intake whilst roaring down a motorway, still I'm sure you'll find a way.
You're speaking a foreign language to me though, I'm afraid, one I will endeavour to learn...."heat soak times"...... is that when it reaches it's max temp?

northernalex

Quote from: "Mister Rebel"
Quote from: "kanujunkie"no, it was reading correctly but most of the boost pressure was p**sing out of the 2 holes in the intercooler.

No, I can imagine it's difficult to hold a thermometer in the intake whilst roaring down a motorway, still I'm sure you'll find a way.
You're speaking a foreign language to me though, I'm afraid, one I will endeavour to learn...."heat soak times"...... is that when it reaches it's max temp?

Yeah, the operating temperature.
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

Ta Alex. I'll add that to the english/engineer dictionary.   s:D :D s:D

kanujunkie

you can take the info from the MAF, but i dont have the kit to do it  s:( :( s:(   its the same piece of kit that Liz has, the gendan one. As for heat soak, its the build up of heat in the main block that the coolant system cannot get rid of. The build up of this heat hampers the performance of the engine. So no its not operating temp but the heat that increases the block temp away from the operating temp
[size=100]Stu[/size]

northernalex

Quote from: "kanujunkie"

you can take the info from the MAF, but i dont have the kit to do it  s:( :( s:(   its the same piece of kit that Liz has, the gendan one. As for heat soak, its the build up of heat in the main block that the coolant system cannot get rid of. The build up of this heat hampers the performance of the engine. So no its not operating temp but the heat that increases the block temp away from the operating temp

Hence the system operating temp (of the system). 0th law of thermodynamics.
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

aaronjb

Quote from: "kanujunkie"you can take the info from the MAF, but i dont have the kit to do it  s:( :( s:(   its the same piece of kit that Liz has, the gendan one. As for heat soak, its the build up of heat in the main block that the coolant system cannot get rid of. The build up of this heat hampers the performance of the engine. So no its not operating temp but the heat that increases the block temp away from the operating temp

Come round some time when you're free and we'll hook my laptop up to it - we can at least monitor the intake temperature.. What would be really good to know, though, would be the CC coolant temperature.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

kanujunkie

the intake temps dont seem to change much based on the good old palm test, they are still pretty damn cool even after a long run of 60 miles. Would be good to know the temps though so if its ok i'll take you up on that offer Aaron  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

can i get it through the e-manage link somehow?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

spit

Quote from: "kanujunkie"can i get it through the e-manage link somehow?

Unfortunately not, but you could always tap into E4 pin 22 (Yellow-Black) via the Boomslang. Thats the intake temp feed to ECU. Range is about 0.5 to 3.5 volts iirc. With a few temp references for scaling you could rig a gauge without having to go for the OBDII software.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

I'm probably going to go with a charge cooler in the next short while. Those of you who have gone down this route, how much did it work out price wise and where did ye get the coolers? chargecooler.co.uk or thor?

kanujunkie

we used chargecooler.co.uk but the service was less than perfect shall we say. As for the cost i'm up to a the £730 mark for a 4x10 but you can drop that by £50 to £60 if you go for a slightly smaller barrell. Aaron found a company called "horsepower in a box", you could try them. if you want a complete parts list then i'll post it up tonight. You'll need 11-12m of hose rather than the 10m posted earlier
[size=100]Stu[/size]

aaronjb

Yeah - Horsepowerinabox.com have good prices on the barrels.  They're in Australia, but I dealt with them when I got the turbos on the Nissan - helpful folks (at least they were then).

Everything else I'm getting on eBay (I was lucky and got an incredible deal on a proper Page chargecooler pre-rad, too).

markiii

if you have patience tehre are silly deals on teh parts think mine is still under £400 budget at the mo

Tags: