What does a 20,000 mile air filter look like?

Started by aaronjb, April 21, 2007, 14:20

aaronjb

It's MOT day on Monday, so I figured I ought to change the air filter, clean the MAF and reset the ECU - plus it's been 20k since the last scheduled air filter change so it was due it..

Here's what the old one looked like (for reference, a new filter is pristine white):

Ew!
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Yeah,
I know your's isn't, but I'm a bit worried about these 'for life' type filters, I've got one on a Saab (sad person).
Maybe its better to just change the stock filter more regularly. Amount of grime seems ok for 20000 though.
My mot's on Tuesday - CHE manifold  s:!: :!: s:!:

enid_b

i concur, it does not look too bad aaron, ready for a change though without a doubt.

its probably a by product of living darn sarf....in the smoke !!!!!

surprisingly cheap to replace though  IIRC MR T charges about 11 quid for one.

you could consider a K and N one - they were available on fleabay for about 20-30 quids.  does make a difference too.

E   s:D :D s:D
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

aaronjb

Yep - cost me £11.40 from MrT.. I might 'upgrade' to a different panel at some point, but this time I just thought it was time it got changed  s:) :) s:)

You should have seen the panels that came out of my first 300ZX - the dirt was literally 3mm thick all the way across the filter - it fell off in big slabs!  I don't think it's previous Japanese owner had ever changed it  s:? :? s:?
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

enid_b

Quote from: "aaronjb"Yep - cost me £11.40 from MrT.. I might 'upgrade' to a different panel at some point, but this time I just thought it was time it got changed  s:) :) s:)

You should have seen the panels that came out of my first 300ZX - the dirt was literally 3mm thick all the way across the filter - it fell off in big slabs!  I don't think it's previous Japanese owner had ever changed it  s:? :? s:?

did you check it for SARS???
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

aaronjb

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  This was quite a bit before any of that hit the news  s;) ;) s;)

rtbiscuit

i have an apexi cone filter, and have been told by a very reliable source (mark) that you can put it in the dishwasher to clean them.

has any one done that before?
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

Tags: