FLAT SPOT PROBLEM!

Started by Anonymous, April 21, 2007, 19:17

Anonymous

Hello Guys

I have a strange issue.  If I accelerate hard in every gear, I get smooth acceleration all the way through to the red line.  If I have to balance the throttle for whatever reason, say sitting behind a car waiting for a moment to overtake, and then I floor it, acceleration is smooth up until about 5,000 rpm and then it flat spots.  I get through it eventually, but acceleration is very weak.  Also, if I am driving the car normally (at about half throttle), it pulls smoothly up until about the 5k mark and hits the flat spot again.  I have done various searches on the forums, and there are similar issues to mine, however they all differ in some way.  Could it be a faulty MAF sensor, as this seems to be the closest match that I can get.  If it is possible, is there anything I can do to test it without buying a new one first?

northernalex

first thing for you to do is just pop the maf out and clean it with a little carb cleaner, that may clear the problem.. THe torque dips slightly after 5-6 anyway.
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

Thanks for that.

Being a bit of a rookie at this sort of thing, where is the MAF, and how do I remove it?  I also don't know if it is worth mentioning, but she is using oil at quite a pace.  I think it's it has drank about a quater of the dipstick in less than 500 miles.

northernalex

the maf is a on the pipe vetween the air box and the engine, it has a cable connected to it. There is two screws on the top. If you do a search for MAF and CLEAN there should be some instructions somewhere.

The high oil use is a tiny bit worrying, check out the pre-cat informationt hread, and try not to worry it may be nothing.
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

will have a look now.  cheers alex

Anonymous

Keep checking the oil level.  You could inspect the precats in the manifold (still have them?) for peace of mind.

enid_b

as the others have said, it sounds like a dirty maf.

whilst you are doing that, unplug the battery for 30 minutes. this will reset the ECU and should provide a boost in performance.

Also, as mentioned above, check and remove them nasty precats as a matter of urgency.  they are a ticking time bomb and no mistake.

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Anonymous

Please, please, please read up about the pre cats.

Even if they arent the problem you want to get them ripped out.

Take it from someone who knows  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Anonymous

what are the pre-cats and what is their purpose?  If I remove them, will it still pass MOT emissions testing, or will I have to do something to get it through?

aaronjb

[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

spit

See the Sticky thread(s) at the head of the topic list in this forum. MOT is not affected.
(*edit - beaten to it by the wise one. Good work, Aaron  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Cheers Guys - couldn't see the wood for the trees!!!!

Have checked the MAF sensor, and while it was filthy, a clean up didn't sort the issue.  Next step I think will be to speak to MR-T and see what their computer fires up (if anything).  Have just ordered the O2 removal socket so will check the pre-cats (nasty little things) when it arrives.  I was going to replace the exhaust at some point, so it looks like it may be sooner rather than later - don't know whether or not to replace the manifold at this stage but the bottom line is those wee beasties are going one way or another!

Anonymous

OK - next question.  I have just had the car on toyota's test rig, and they say I need 4 new coil packs and a set of spark plugs.  Does this sound right?  I have only just had the thing serviced (by a non-toyota dealer) who stuck a set of plugs in it.  I'm told the bill will be about ... cough ... £450 all in.

So as I'm spending a bucket load on stuff that I really don't want to, are there any performance alternatives to sweeten the deal or am I stuck with the MrT standards?

Peter Wright

I wouldn't trust anything any Toyota garage said to me
Sorry
  s:o :o s:o  
 Pete
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

markiii

highly doubt it's all 4 coilpacks

do tehe plugs yourself and see if it helps
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Liz

How far to Essex from Suffolk are you, you could try my MAF in it to see if it makes a difference?
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Hi Liz

I'm picking it up tomorrow morning in its non-fixed state from Hills at Bishop Stortford.  I also only live in Haverhill, so you're not massively far away.

Liz

Can do Sunday if you want?

There is a good ex toyota mechanic in Haverhill - John Cox - he has agreed to gut pre-cats as well at a good price.

markiii

or come to mine tommorow, since Liz and Si are here anyway, I'm only in welwyn?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

I must admit, I do have my doubts on the coil packs, but then I don't suppose there is much I can do to check them other than to replace them.

I would like to try another MAF, as that is my gut feeling, but sometimes it is quite intermittent.  Cheers for the offer markiii, but I think tomorrow may be out for me.  I can do Sunday though if the offer is still on the table Liz.  Bocking isn't far and it should be a nice day for a drive.  May also get details of the Haverhill Toyota bod if you have them, as I need the pre-cats doing anyway.  Not a job I fancy myself!

I should be free all day, so I can work to whenever suits you best

Anonymous

I must admit, I do have my doubts on the coil packs, but then I don't suppose there is much I can do to check them other than to replace them.

I would like to try another MAF, as that is my gut feeling, but sometimes it is quite intermittent.  Cheers for the offer markiii, but I think tomorrow may be out for me.  I can do Sunday though if the offer is still on the table Liz.  Bocking isn't far and it should be a nice day for a drive.  May also get details of the Haverhill Toyota bod if you have them, as I need the pre-cats doing anyway.  Not a job I fancy myself!

I should be free all day, so I can work to whenever suits you best

Anonymous

not quite sure how I managed to post that one twice     s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

mr2mark

£450 eeeeccccchhh how do these people sleep on a night .. I cant see it being even 1 coil pack because it would be misfiring . For £450 you could probably fill the tank, travel up here to newcastle I could fit all 4 coil packs and spark plugs(in about 7 minutes) and you could drive home with another full tank and probably fill your tank again when you got home !!!

Liz

No problem - you probably have driven past my house on the way there!  Will pm you with address.

northernalex

Quote from: "mr2mark"£450 eeeeccccchhh how do these people sleep on a night .. I cant see it being even 1 coil pack because it would be misfiring . For £450 you could probably fill the tank, travel up here to newcastle I could fit all 4 coil packs and spark plugs(in about 7 minutes) and you could drive home with another full tank and probably fill your tank again when you got home !!!

Yeah but youre a star Mark!  s:) :) s:)

Wanna fix my crappy 106 diesel with a leaky fuel pump?  s:) :) s:)
evileye_xc said:

Tags: