FLAT SPOT PROBLEM!

Started by Anonymous, April 21, 2007, 19:17

neilbro39

Quote from: "wparker"Cheers Guys - couldn't see the wood for the trees!!!!

Have checked the MAF sensor, and while it was filthy, a clean up didn't sort the issue.  Next step I think will be to speak to MR-T and see what their computer fires up (if anything).  Have just ordered the O2 removal socket so will check the pre-cats (nasty little things) when it arrives.  I was going to replace the exhaust at some point, so it looks like it may be sooner rather than later - don't know whether or not to replace the manifold at this stage but the bottom line is those wee beasties are going one way or another!

Just a check, did you clean the thin wire filament bit of the MAF or the bigger dark bulb type thingy? It's just when I first did mine I did the bulb thingy which is not the right bit to clean. I cleaned the wire and it was like a different car. I think there are some pics on spyderchat.
2000, Astral black, Razo gear knob, gutted pre-cats, otherwise as Mr T intended it!

Anonymous

Good point neilbro39.  I cleaned the bulb which was almost black on one side.  I made a bit of an attempt to clean the wires but not much.  I'll revist it and let you know.

Mrwmark ... I like your style!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

kanujunkie

just do yourself a favour and dont touch the platinum wire inside when cleaning it, its incredibly brittle and can break just by looking at it. Only use a spray of carb cleaner at it and definatly no brushes
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Hi Liz

Did you get my last PM re time tomorrow?  Is that ok, or do you want to go for a different time?  The clean didn't work.  According to Toyota this morning, the coli pack is DEFINATELY the problem as it is arcing under load.  I think I'll try the MAF first.  The reason the costs would be so high is because the coil packs are £72 +vat each.  Have also tried looking for non-genuine but can't find any.

See you tomorrow.

Liz

No probs, have pm'd you - forgot that I am on nights tonight - will be up by 11 and ready by 11.30!  Just look for the red and yellow MR2's - you can't miss them, pull up on the drive as the road is busy!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

how did it go?

Liz

I am sure Wayne will be along, but we swapped the Mafs, done the pull the fuse ECU reset and it done the trick!  Last heard of Wayne was ordering one from ebay....at least it saved him £400 from the work which Mr T wanted to do and which wouldn't of fixed it!

Anonymous

The new MAF arrived yesterday at work, and I put it in last night.  Pulled the fuse for a couple of minutes and took it for a scream up the by-pass and it never missed a beat.  I haven't had the chance to do a decent length journey with it yet (prob at the weekend), it does appear to be running like a peach.

Something else that strengthens the whole MAF arguement as well - when I cleaned it and reset the ECU, it ran like a bag of bolts for about two miles.  Stuck Liz's MAF in and it was v.smooth.  Putting mine back in, straight away and it ran like a pig - again for a couple of miles.  No such problem with the new one though, so for now I'm a happy bunny - THANX LIZ  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Liz

Your welcome  s:D :D s:D   just glad that it worked....now we need to send you over to the dark side for some modding!

Anonymous

The bug has already started.  Called in to Powerflow in Bury St Edmunds on my way home today.  I need to take the car to them for a proper look, but they said that a quad pipe catback normally costs between £450 and £500.  However when I told him that I can get one online for £395 he said he would match it, fit it, and I can even choose the exhaust note.  I think my credit card is about to take a pounding!

Anonymous

OK, so the old phrase 'never count your chickens ...' springs to mind.  Sadly, dreams off the exhaust are webbing away to be replaced with coil packs.  I have just been out for a blat, and it has started missing, and someimtes acceleration lower down is poor.  I have also noticed that it is hunting when standing at idle, going from almost stalling to about 1000rpm.  The weird thing is that the majority of the time the acceleration is there, and smooth all the way through the rev range.

Anyone know where I can save myself a few quid on the equivalent of the ebay seller for the MAF sensor?  It also seems to be running rich, as I smell a bit of engine fumes

Liz

Was it missing and hunting with the old MAF on - it may be worth doing a proper ECU reset - ie battery off for 30 mins, the fuse does not always clear things properly, sorry to hear this, thought we had you sorted?

spit

And if that fails and you're still hunting for coil packs, I've got a set kicking about.

Can't vouch for them but they came off a 20k car, and you're welcome to do a "sale or return" on them. At least it gives you a chance to rule this out.

They're yours for what I paid for 'em (which wasn't much!)  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  PM me if you're interested.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Thanks Spit.  I'll mess around with it at the weekend, and I'll give you a shout if I need them.

mr2mark

I would try the injectors now mate. If you have the car put on a computer when the car is missing , it should tell you which cylinder is misfiring. You can take the injectors to diesel fitters and they can check them . I had a seized one and was doing more or less the same thing, . Luckily I was doing an engine change on another mr2 and the new engine came with some injectors so this saved me some money on new ones   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Well, in the interest of keeping people informed, I have just got round to swapping the coil packs and the spark plugs.  I got an independant garage to do it, namely my dad's garage.  The genuine Toyota parts came to £320 when you factor in his trade discounts - and it is worse!!!!!

Before I go any further with this investigation, and checking the injectors I am after blood.  I have a service report from Hills of Bishop Stortford advising new coil packs and plugs.  I have receipts for Toyota parts, and I'm going for a refund.  How successful do we think I will be???

Will keep you posted!

Liz

You haven't been on here for a while - Ste (Spit) posted that the MAFs on ebay are not as good as the Toyota ones...seen as yours ran alright with mine on, is that worth another go?  Sorry to hear that you are still having problems.

spit

And I also have a half-decent MAF kicking about (gen Denso) that works.

Yes, the EBay one is a get-what-you-pay-for generic - ours has a twin hotwire arrangement, whereas the EBay one has some sort of naff component in its place.

I had the same "woo this is excellent" followed by dreadful hunting at idle, and eventually it got so bad that I couldn't leave the throttle unattended on a cold start.

So, I bought another MAF   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  even though the old one seems to be perfectly serviceable (my boost-fuelling problems must be elsewhere  s:? :? s:?  ).

Anonymous

I do need to do something.  Sorry Spit, I had totally forgotten about your offer of the coil packs.  The only thing I will say is I would probably have been driven down this road anyway as it wouldn't have made a difference and we didn't know the condition of the coils.

The biggest problem I have at the moment is the test with Liz's was great, but so was the ebay one for a day.  I need to try one for a longer period of time to see if that is the fix.

Anonymous

Hi Liz

Haven't been on here for a while - busy ripping out the kitchen and putting a new one in.  Seemed like a good idea at the time   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I'm hoping to get up to JAE this year, but it will be on the Sunday.  Was hoping to have new zorst by then, but this problem is sapping cash so that may have to wait.  Need to try to sort the issue first before coming to Peterboro' though so might have to come up in the tin top.

spit

Quote from: "wparker"The biggest problem I have at the moment is the test with Liz's was great, but so was the ebay one for a day.  I need to try one for a longer period of time to see if that is the fix.

Doesn't surprise me that the EBay one worked well for a day - mine was the same. The biggest problem with it seems to be on cold start - for some reason it doesn't signal the ECU as it should and the car runs at AFR20+ when it should be around 11.5 (under 'choke' effect). And it doesn't fully get going properly until you're banging some heat through it. Altogether a nafmaf  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

You're welcome to 'try before buy' on the Denso and send it back if it doesn't work, or drop it off at JAE.

Anonymous

Spit, you are a demi-god.  That would be spanking.  How do you want to do this?  It would need throwing in a sturdy package and posting if poss.  Obviously any costs incurred regardless of whether or not it works will be sorted.  

Are you able to P&P it?

spit

You have PM  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Cheers Spit, back atcha!   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Been back to see parents today, and tried your MAF ste.  Looking v promising.  How much are you after?

and thanks a bucketload for posting it so quickly  s:D :D s:D

Tags: