white smoke

Started by Anonymous, April 25, 2007, 18:57

Anonymous

Hey guys im new to this forum and this is my first post. I was wondering if you guys could help me.

First off, ive been having problems with power, thinking something bad went wrong of course. I sent it to several places to get fixed but all these guys say its something different. Anyways, i replaced an injector about 2 months ago but mind you after that it was still stitting for about 1 month and a half not working. Finally, 1 mechanic said my exhuast was backed up(which it was, i saw all the gunk that he pulled out) so what i did was put on a custom dual exhaust which looks SICk and it brought all my power back to normal but the 02 censor that was connected to the tail pipe has been eliminated. Well it ran great for 2 weeks but now it it bogs down, it seems like i have only a little bit more than half of my power.

Could that be the reason i have white smoke just constantly coming out of my mufflers? I have the other 2 censors still connected near the manifold. But i also have a little bit of oil finding its way to my spark plugs. Everytime i get a tune up, they tell me that i had oil on the spark plugs and clean then everytime.

I dont know whats totally going on here. Can anyone help?

enid_b

erm, without seeing it cannot give you a definitive.

you may wanna have a read of this thread, just in case.

E

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15853 m
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

aaronjb

Hmmm.. what exactly did he pull out of your exhaust I wonder?  Lots of white fibreglass, like the stuff that holds the precats in place, I'll bet..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Oh no, it sound exactly like pre cat failure.  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

White smoke and lack of power?

Stop driving the car now and cross your fingers

Anonymous

yeah lots of fiberglass...looked like the mechanic had a bonfire the night before on the ground

rtbiscuit

sounds like catastrophic precat failure.

the reason your power is gone is possibly due to a blockage, you main cat probably has a large chunk of precat material blocking it. less exhaust gas getting out, so the ECU cuts back.

best case senario you'll need a new main cat, and you'll need to take your manifold off to get the rest of the materal out properly.

white smoke is a worry, you could have worst case which is particles of precat have gone backwards and into the engine. short version is that these affect the o rings and allow oil to leak (you'll need to read up on it here, 2 trains of thought about this) either way you need to get it to a garage ASAP for a health check, the more you drive it the more risk of serious damage your at.
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

Anonymous

sounds very much like your precats have gone then  s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

the blockage had been resolved 2 weeks ago and it ran awesome. Espcially since i put in the custom dual exhuast. I mean it ran like a champ the past 2 days.

But what really gets me is that after i went to the car wash it still ran great until about 5 hours later it started to bog and thats when my lack of power started again. As crazy as it sounds but i thought maybe water is leaking to my engine from the hood?

Wierd i know but whenever my car even began to have any problems, it all started after i took it to the car wash 3 months ago and i noticed steam coming outta the hood. I had never seen that before at all. And ive washed my car sooo many times....

So is it just coincidental that after i washed it again it bogged down?

Anonymous

It's prob more bits of pre cat blocking up again?

Did they remove what was left of the pre cats when they cleaned it out, or just the stuff blocking the exhaust?

Anonymous

well the mechanic said he took everything out....so i dont know...
what i have is the dual exhaust running straght pipe into under the manifold..
i dont even have that big cat back tin anymore

rtbiscuit

there could be multiple amounts of material at different stages of your exhaust.

my advice is start at the manifold and work back.

so gut your precats and check pipes on the manifold (guide is on the forum)

remove your main cat, see if you can borrow somone elses, see how it runs.

your back box should be ok as most stuff should blow straight through that, but you might need to  clear it again.

if you post up your location on your profile people who are local may be able to help.

Previous cars:

rtbiscuit

even if you get it all cleared, still take it to the garage and get the engine checked, if you catch the o-rings early enough they could be replaced, if you leave it to late your cylinders could be bored out oval stylee.

and can you resize your avatar, its screwing with my screen

Previous cars:

aaronjb

Quote from: "mr2way2fast"well the mechanic said he took everything out....so i dont know...
what i have is the dual exhaust running straght pipe into under the manifold..
i dont even have that big cat back tin anymore

PreCATs are not the same as the main cat.. Plus the 'big black tin' as you put it is most likely just the silencer..

The precats are (or were, quite possibly, in your case) in the manifold..

You need to read the Pre CAT thread.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

Anonymous

yeah i still have the pre cats in the manifold...
im taking it back today to the same mechanic to see what else he can do..
He fixed it the first time and he's the only one who has ever to. So i hope he can again.

Also the last time he had fixed it, he told me that one of my injectors compression was off a little bit...either #1 or #3 injector and that the spark plugs were getting a little bit of oil....what could that indicate?

aaronjb

That indicates that we are probably right.

I suggest printing off the thread that enid linked to and taking it to him.

Anonymous

i have 89,000 on my car and its a 2000...
do you think my motor is gone?

Anonymous

m http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s101 ... EG0022.flv m

view my video and you can surely hear and see what im talking about...hopefully

enid_b

Quote from: "mr2way2fast"yeah i still have the pre cats in the manifold...
I'm taking it back today to the same mechanic to see what else he can do..
He fixed it the first time and he's the only one who has ever to. So i hope he can again.

Also the last time he had fixed it, he told me that one of my injectors compression was off a little bit...either #1 or #3 injector and that the spark plugs were getting a little bit of oil....what could that indicate?

the steam coming out when you wash it is not a problem.

injectors compression? thats a new one to me.

also, have you tried  w www.spyderchat.com w   its the same as this website, but based in the US of A so there may be a local dude that can come and have a look for you.

s:) :) s:)  fingers crossed chap

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

rtbiscuit

did it sound like that with the exhausts on before you had the problems, its difficult to tell if its the exhaust noise or what.

got alot of very low resonance, souds like its idling very low, very metallic in sound, i wonder if your piston rings are on the way out, if the cylinders have  ovalled out it could be expensive, your mechanic is your best bet, but this could be a prime opertunity to do a 2zz engine swap.

Previous cars:

Anonymous

yeah it sounded like a slight knock when i bought it a used dealership....
but it got it louder before i put the exhuast...

i wanted to do an engine swap, who knows....

can my engine be overhauled though?

rtbiscuit

depends on the severity of the damage, and how much your wiling to pay.

it could have suffered minimal damage and cost you very little, or you could have screwed up cylinders and that could be expensive. but this is all guess work you need to get your man to check it out.

i have heard of one or 2 people have there cylinders over bored, to bring it up to 2 litres i think, but it would require a whole host of other new bits.

the knocking sound is worrying, the white smoke is oil burning (i think) which is possibly from the o-rings (guessing)

Previous cars:

Anonymous

well i have a really good mechanic...and he does good work...really good work

he also rebuilt my uncles engine  from the ground up for cheap as dirt...

now if hes that good, im thinking he can do the same for mine...
well im hoping....

Anonymous

ok now my mechanic called me and said i have to replace a fuel injector ASAP.

scottish_turbo

I would take the information you have learnt above about precat failure and go see your mechanic with it because it sounds like you will be replacing your engine shortly if all you are going to change is an injector. I may well be wrong but better to be safe than sorry. I presume you have stopped driving the car until you get it fixed?

Anonymous

yeah the car has only been driven a couple of times in 2 and a half months

and ive already replaced fuel injector #3 like three months ago....
i hope its not the same one

Tags: