Titanium (or other LIGHT weight) exhausts

Started by Tem, November 20, 2003, 06:58

markiii

5 hours? probably not then. Makes he price seem a bargain if he takes 5 hours to tune it though.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Guys,

Apart from TRD, does anyone know of any company that sells a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold i.e. do H&S have any plans to make one or do I have to fork out for the TRD.

markiii

Rusty,

Top Secret and Amuse do.

Ref H&S I thought we'd had this conversation before? H&S only develop products for indivduals they have far more than enough work on to create new stuff and then drive demand for it.

I've had a number of discussion with Ian regarding one, and in the new year I may well go that route. Ian's preference is for a one pice manifold replacement for both the existing manifold and main cat pipe. This gives him more room to play with.

If you want to have them make something up for you specifically they will but as always being first comes with a price. Feel free to have a word with them though I know Ian's not taking anything new on until Feb as teh order books are stacked.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Markii,

Sounds good, this is probably one of the best ways to make more power / torque. I'd definitely be interested if you make any more progress down that route next year. I'm also thinking of replacing the std cat with a performance item

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"maybe we can all go down together if hedley can copw with 3 at the same time.

Don't tempt me to make that 4... I'm seriously considering losing the precats (one way or another), and having done that, a Unichip would seem "sensible". (Well, that's my excuse anyway, and I'm sticking to it...)

markiii

Phil,

depending on finance/priority I'd be tempted to get the unichip first. That way when you do the manifold they can immediately remap it.

Wonder if Millway will do us a deal for 3 or 4?

Anonymous

Just out of interest, do we need the pre-cats ensure the "2" meets emissions regs? The reason I ask is that I know the Celicas don't have the pre-cats so I'm presuming if we bin em and just keep the main cat we'll be OK.

markiii

well you've got a number of issues.

The Precats are there to make sure that emissions are passed before the main cat gets up to temperature. This makes it an ultra low emmission vehicle.

Can you pass emissions without them? Yes
Can you pass emission without the main cat? Yes
Can you pass with neither? Yes

All depending on fuel maps, you can get a totally catless car to pass emissions but itmight run like shit to manage it.

Now you've got visual inspections?

Main cat? technically not but it depends on if they look, or how friendly your MOT station.

Pre cats? yes, so longs as teh car has a cat how will they ever know? besides they are hidden by the heatshield anyway.

with neither present it won't pass visual, see my earlier point.

By the way I think we covered this before as well. Search is your friend guys.

Tem

My 0.02 pounds  s:) :) s:)

Like said, you will pass the sniffer without precats. Probably even without the main cat. But technically you wouldn't pass the EURO 3 TÜV, which pretty much requires the precats, cause it's a run made from cold start, gathering emissions from all time.

Not that anyone would ever measure it from your car though  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "markiii"Having said which with the cats still in place it's not annoyingly loud.

Hmmmm...did he have the precats and the main cat..? I'm definitely getting rid of the precats, but I guess I could leave the main cat, if it allows using a straight pipe...

It did have the pre and main cats.  It was just the sliencer that was removed.  The difference in weight was amazing.

You could also look at the Amuse R1, which I have my eye on.  It is about 3kgs.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"Are there any for us...?

Apparently the Apexi Titanium is about to show up soon (if it hasn't already), but it only has a titanium muffler and a tip. Great for MAXXX POWER tuners, cause that's all you can see, but I want it as light as possible.

Also, some motorcycles have carbon exhausts that seem to be dman light. How come they don't make those to cars...? Or at least I didn't find anything (to any car).

Anyone know of a lighter one than the Team Moon, which apparently is 17.25 lbs:
 m http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/proje ... 8scc_mr2s/ m

Here it is my new TPS muffler: only 4 kg. Racer sound

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "markiii"Having said which with the cats still in place it's not annoyingly loud.

Hmmmm...did he have the precats and the main cat..? I'm definitely getting rid of the precats, but I guess I could leave the main cat, if it allows using a straight pipe...

I get rid of the precats. They remain there, but empty.

Get a big increase in tork.

Now I can use the 6 gear without changing to 5 all the time. Wastes less fuel also.  s:P :P s:P

Anonymous

Quote from: "Maurizio"
Quote from: "Tem"Are there any for us...?

Apparently the Apexi Titanium is about to show up soon (if it hasn't already), but it only has a titanium muffler and a tip. Great for MAXXX POWER tuners, cause that's all you can see, but I want it as light as possible.

Also, some motorcycles have carbon exhausts that seem to be dman light. How come they don't make those to cars...? Or at least I didn't find anything (to any car).

Anyone know of a lighter one than the Team Moon, which apparently is 17.25 lbs:
 m http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/proje ... 8scc_mr2s/ m

Here it is my new TPS muffler: only 4 kg. Racer sound

Ciao Maurizio  s:) :) s:)

How is the Titan doing?  Mine make an awesome sound.  Very racey and not ricey   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

BTW guys the amuse is great too.

Amuse weighs 2.7kg.  s:) :) s:)
TPS is 3.5kg  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

I am thinking about the Amuse myself.  How does that sound Cin?

In fact how much does the TPS cost?  I'll be looking at over £600 for the Amuse as it is.

Tem

No idea about the TPS "normal" muffler that connects to the cat outlet. I have my eyes on this straight one:

About 500e/£350 from Japanparts.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

dan944

Out of curiosity has anyone in the uk run the 2 without a back box. I want to lose that weight especially as its quite high up but test ran it the other day an it's quite loud. Not deafening but attract the wrong kind of attention loud. Is there any way to keep the noise down? I've been looking at db killers like those used on bikes but to me that's gonna slow things up. Anyone with better knowledge help here. I know there's a billion things to consider but main aim- drop that weight, the raw sounding exhaust is pretty sweet but just slightly quieter lol.
Any help is much appreciated
"I swear mum I did try and sell the roadster"

Silver mr2 2003 FL. Custom Turbo build 209whp. Lots of handling mods.

Honda CR-V The Work Horse

Rob988

I had no silencer and no cat for about 6 months. It's not just too loud, it's completely the wrong kind of loud if you ask me. No car should sound that loud at idle.. I now have just one silencer and still no cat. Sounds great, isn't heavy, lifetime guarantee.

dan944

I do love the raw sound you get though. I'm not a fan of the processed sound you get with most aftermarket exhausts. Which back box do you have at the moment? The best I can come up with is a carbon fibre one at about 1.5 kg. did you have a cat without a back box or I'd you just run it without both. I've heard the cat makes a lot of difference on its own.

Rob988

Originally it went: stainless steel manifold - flexi pipe - y pipe - out
Now it goes : stainless steel manifold - flexi pipe - muffler (actually off an rs4) - out.

The only real noticeable difference to the actual tonality of the exhaust is that it's overall a bit quieter. Not much, just a bit. 4500 rpm up it's probably about the same which I like but below that it doesn't sound like it's blown the exhaust in a traffic jam like it used to.

I'm still considering swapping it back out and putting a y pipe to electronic butterfly valve in it to switch between straight through and muffled. Probably the converse to what you'd be looking for as it'd add a bit of weight but I could Atleast avoid the drone on the motorway..

dan944

What sort of weight is the rs4 muffler though? I think I may run her a while with a straight through an see how she goes. It's only £30 for a 1500 length of tube which can be bent into the right shape.  s:) :) s:)   thanks for the input. It's nice to have another perspective on it

Rob988

Yea no worries. I have carbon fibre front and rear bonnets and CF Brides so the slight bit of extra weight for the occasionally peace and quiet was a trade off. Although all the money I've spent saving weight, it's a shame to add any anywhere.

dan944

Christ!! That's a fair wack in carbon dollar haha. I have some cheapo grp seats that are pretty light which I'm hoping to snazz up with tailored seat covers permanently fitted. I'm still in two minds about this exhaust though :/ think I'm just gonna go for it. What's the worst that can happen haha

Rob988

Tell me about it! It's scary thinking a few specific parts are worth more than the whole car. However that's the game we play.

I say go for it, like I said, I went 6 months before thinking maybe a little quieter would be good for me. From the sounds of it you'll probably love it!

Tags: