power steering

Started by dreambackup, November 20, 2003, 10:52

dreambackup

Hi there!

My new MR-S (2 weeks) has a weird (not that big but annoying   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  ) noise. It seems to be power-steering related since it occurs when I stop at a traffic light, steering wheel in central position and I do nothing. It disappears when I slightly move the wheel (1/2 an inch is enough to make it stop for 5 seconds max).

Do you have any idea where it's from and what to do? The Toyota mechanics I stopped by told me it's "normal"...   s:x :x s:x  

Thanks in advance!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=67]2003 Toyota MR-S 1E3 SMT w/ hardtop, red painted calipers & red J-Spec nose badge, PPE intake w/ Apex\'i air filter, Way-Do TRD + C1 springs, front C1 sway bar, TRD front strut tower brace, Corky\'s breastplate, 1E3 Dev keyhole covers, Che header, Remus dual[/size]

SteveJ

Quote from: "dreambackup"Hi there!

My new MR-S (2 weeks) has a weird (not that big but annoying   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  ) noise. It seems to be power-steering related since it occurs when I stop at a traffic light, steering wheel in central position and I do nothing. It disappears when I slightly move the wheel (1/2 an inch is enough to make it stop for 5 seconds max).

Do you have any idea where it's from and what to do? The Toyota mechanics I stopped by told me it's "normal"...   s:x :x s:x  

Thanks in advance!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Perfectly normal - I've had 2 roadsters so far (waiting for 3rd to be delivered), and all of them have made this noise - it's just the electric power steering pump running off-load and hence quicker than normal. As soon as you load it (by moving the steering wheel), the noise disappears.

heathstimpson

Just turn the tunes up a little louder mate  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

filcee

What SteveJ said - though compared to the '01 I had, this noise on my '03 seems quieter, but that may because of all the other rattles  s:D :D s:D
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

heathstimpson

Quote from: "filcee"What SteveJ said - though compared to the '01 I had, this noise on my '03 seems quieter, but that may because of all the other rattles  s:D :D s:D
Tell me about it; my 03 has bloody rattles coming from loads of places that are rather annoying to say the least. And the dealer is crap at sorting them  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

I have an 03 with a steering pump that is driving me mad!
Theres an annoying whining everytime i stop.
Toyota have acknowledged that it's louder than normal and have ordered me a new pump under warranty - hope that cures it!

Jon

dreambackup

Keep us informed, Jon, because it's driving me nuts too...   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
[size=67]2003 Toyota MR-S 1E3 SMT w/ hardtop, red painted calipers & red J-Spec nose badge, PPE intake w/ Apex\'i air filter, Way-Do TRD + C1 springs, front C1 sway bar, TRD front strut tower brace, Corky\'s breastplate, 1E3 Dev keyhole covers, Che header, Remus dual[/size]

Liz

Just before I read this post I became aware of this noise. I thought it was the fan cutting in, but seen as it was a cold morning and I had only driven a few yards up the road I now know what it is and moving the steering wheel a tiny bit confirmed it.  Going to get Mr T to sort it out when they eventually call to say that my new seat covers are in   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  Shall get out my cattle prod and remind them.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Toyota have changed the steering pump and rack - and no more whine when at a standstill!
How long it stays like this is another question! It seems to have more weight to the steering now aswell - which i prefer.

So if your Mr2 whines - then take it in...   s:P :P s:P  

Jon

Anonymous

How about a clunk, clunk, clunk when reversing and turning steering wheel to get out of a space? Coming from steering as can feel it through steering wheel. Almost feels like a tyre has got a flat but they are fine. No problems driving normally, just reversing.
Noticed it at home on flat ground, seemed worse when going up slope, gone quiet now, then comes back another day, peculiar. dealer in Glasgow says it needs some pressure tube at around £140 mark, plus £160 labour, all plus vat. Yikes!
Any ideas on this? Anybody else had it?

aaronjb

smr2ley - Have a read of this thread for a bit more info on that one.. Looks like the likely culprits are front suspension top mounts and/or springs..

FWIW, I have the same noise.. really must get around to getting the car to the dealer..

HTH
Aaron
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Slacey

It IS the top strut mounts... if your car is still under warranty, get if fixed that way.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

I had a blinder this morning regarding the strut mounts. I took my car in this morning to get them checked AGAIN as they have already been changed under warranty for that very clunking reason. This was done in March. They looked at the car for about and hour and I was then told that they had THREE technicians look at the car and there is nothing wrong with the suspension or car. BUT, they do concede that there is a noise there.

This is the best bit..............

I was then told that all three of the technicians were in agreement that it was the fact that there is very littlw weight at the front of the car and that it is the wheels slipping on the road surface cos its wet!!!!! CLASSIC!!!!!

I did not except this at all, so I asked to see the technician and I took the car to them. One of them got in the car with me to see if it would replicagte the noise (which of course it wouldn't as the car had been in use. The noise only appears when the car has been standing for a little while). He said that they checked everything and there was nothing they could see. So, I told him that Toyota DO know about this problems and the original change of the strut mounts cured the problem first time round, but it has come back. The bloke said he was going to get in touch with the technical support to see if they know anything about this problem and if they do, order in the parts, get in touch with me and get them fixed.

I don't expect to hear from them...............

So, if I don't, I am going to go on and on and on about this until something is done about it. I am not happy.......

aaronjb

And all that is why I'm starting to regret buying a car so new that I have to rely on dealers   s:? :? s:?

Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket top mounts (perhaps to go with aftermarket suspension) that don't cost a years salary?

Ta..
Aaron
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"I had a blinder this morning regarding the strut mounts.

I think I'll be lucky if I get this far.  Mine only ever seem to have a problem first thing in the morning as I reverse off my parking space... and that's it for the rest of the day.

As I won't be able to demonstrate the problem to the dealer, I doubt severly that I'll be able to get them to do a sausage.

First time it happened I thought a wheel had fallen off.

Anonymous

Exactly how I felt to be honest Phil. It DOES feel like something has fallen off and it is MUCH worse this time round than the first. Does it once in the morning and then that is it for the rest of the day, as you say. And I am not expecting MrT to get back to me and even if they do, again, like you said, because I could not demonstrate this whilst there, I guess I will get nothing out of them. Why don't they believe the people that actually DRIVE the car every day?  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"Exactly how I felt to be honest Phil. It DOES feel like something has fallen off and it is MUCH worse this time round than the first.

Yup same here... first time I had the problem it just sound like a grating noise as I got to full lock.  Now it feels like the wheels dropping off (first left, then the right).

s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

If I don't get anywhere with my dealer, I'm half thinking I'll try Slacey's dealer, as he seems to get a decent service from them.

aaronjb

Quote from: "phil4"Yup same here... first time I had the problem it just sound like a grating noise as I got to full lock.  Now it feels like the wheels dropping off (first left, then the right).

s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Exactly the same as mine - although mine does it first thing in the morning, and also when I'm leaving work (maybe it won't if the weather is warmer, but it's been incredibly cold recently in the day here)..

GroupBuy on new top mounts anyone?   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

It's certainly started happening a lot more since it got colder (and this morning when it's warmer, it didn't happen at all).   At a guess I'd say it's temp related.

Will have to wait until it snows before I take in to the dealer then.

Tem

Quote from: "John Woodward"Why don't they believe the people that actually DRIVE the car every day?

TBH, if they did, I'd have every common item changed just to be sure...and since Toyota is doing business, they wouldn't want that  s8) 8) s8)

Can't you guys leave the car overnight and instruct them how to make it happen...?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"Can't you guys leave the car overnight and instruct them how to make it happen...?

That's what I'll try and do, yes.  In fact I may even leave it overnight then come back and make it happen for them there.  Sods law says however that it'll not happen the first night.... and how the heck am I supposed to get to and from the garage each morning/evening   s:?: :?: s:?:

Slacey

Quote from: "phil4"If I don't get anywhere with my dealer, I'm half thinking I'll try Slacey's dealer, as he seems to get a decent service from them.
It's a way for you to travel, but if worst comes to worst.... I think they would be very sympathetic to club members (they are very aware of the ROC), and lets face it, they fixed my top mounts without me even asking, so they can't refuse anyone else!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"It's a way for you to travel

I'd just do it when I'm next staying at my parents... would be a doddle then.

Slacey

Quote from: "phil4"I'd just do it when I'm next staying at my parents... would be a doddle then.
Oh yeah, forgot about that  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

I might try and do the leaving overnight thing. And try and get there in the morning so I can be the one to demonstrate it and make sure they bloody hear it!

Will be interesting to see if I get anything back from MrT yet though........

Tags: