oh dear there goes teh gearbox

Started by markiii, May 7, 2007, 19:05

ChrisGB

Quote from: "kanujunkie"as for the box itself personally i think its fubar'd, what you may not be able to see in those pictures is the chips out of the teeth, they were small but will create future issues if left, personally i'd just replace it for a new box

Seconded, the fragments will have potentially been through the mating surfaces of the gear teeth causing more damage than you initially see. Also, if the box has been run with the shaft not running concentrically, you could have scrubbed meshing surfaces or distorted gear teeth. Both problems may come back and bite you in the arse later. Recon box sounds like a good deal to me.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

markiii

a few more pics from teh weekend

Stu either trying to restore circulation to his leg, or after too much rum, doing his long John Silver impression

you decide  :-) :-) :-)

clutch and flywheel exposed

Special Service Tool 1, an A frame bargain £50 from Machine Mart  :-) :-) :-) , that and 1 engine mount is all holding teh engine in.

and finally Arrons Special Service tool, otherwise known as ASS  :-) :-) :-)

Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

aaronjb

You bastard  s:P :P s:P

I think that pic deserves a health warning!
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

kanujunkie

and why did we allow him to have a camera Aaron  s:? :? s:?  

i was only trying to clear the air outside rather than in  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

i blame it on the beer  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

So any idea when we need to come back then Mark?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

markiii

as yet no

need to make some calls tommorow and see where we stand with teh box
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Liz

PMSL at Aarons botty!!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  , I know that face!!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

loadswine

That's the only pic of Aaron smiling that I've seen!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
Or maybe it was the wind that was mentioned earlier!
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

no special tool belt for holding spanners required here I see.......  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

rtbiscuit

theres enough space down there to store his other jack hammer!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

Anonymous

Erm Aaron, the side stands broke on my bike, is there any possibility.........?

Markii, did you eventually let Stu use your toilet?

aaronjb

Did I ever mention how I hate you all?  s:P :P s:P  Gits  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

rtbiscuit

i have yet to have the joy of meeting you arron and i cant wait, you seem like a top bloke.   s:D :D s:D
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

Anonymous

The scary bit is when you move the cursor over the special service tool, and it says,"click to view full size"  s:scared: :scared: s:scared:

aaronjb

s:P :P s:P

Mark - all I can say is, keep your feet out of the way of the gearbox when we're putting it back in  s;) ;) s;)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

markiii

anyone want a laugh whilst I pick myself up off teh floor?

just got off teh phone with MrT as I figured it would give me somethng to put the quotes in perspective and was anticipating £1000 to £1200

bearing in mind a complete 2zz minus ancillaries is only £2000

and they came back with

6 speed UK box LSD £1950 in vat
5 speed UK box LSD £1785 inc vat

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

though without asking they offered to discount that by £100, sounds like someone sees them smashing their parts target at that price  s:-( :-( s:-(

that is truly staggering

oh and teh best bit, they need teh old box back or there is a core charge, sounds like they are recon boxes anyway  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Jeeeeeeesus... Someone's got to be having a laugh at those prices, surely?!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

GSB

Believe it or not, those prices have been reduced quite dramatically. When my gearbox was changed out on my old '2, the price was nearer to £3000...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

markiii

wibble

right then just had a quote of £350 plus vat for a 5 speed

and £425 plus vat for a 6 speed

both under 20K miles

30 day warranty plus £30 to ship

getting better

heathstimpson

And I'll get the rebuild price later for you Mark  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

markiii

right anyone know hoiw easy/hard it is to swap an LSD fron one box to another?

Heath can you ask your mate about that as well?

cheers

Mark.

GSB

Quote from: "markiii"right anyone know hoiw easy/hard it is to swap an LSD fron one box to another?

cheers

Mark.

Its been done on Spyderchat a few times, and theres plenty of pics etc over there. (Or at least there was...)

As I recall though, the hardest part of the job was getting the gearbox out...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

markiii

well what Im thinking is take my LSD into an easily sourceable J-spec 6 speed.

however following a conversation just now I'm a bit concerend about any metal that may be in teh existing diff?

loadswine

Those Toyota prices are staggeringly stupid. Glad to see that realistic alternatives are about. Sorry I can't help out with any advice re LSDs, but looks like your 2 will be up and running pretty soon Mark.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Tem

Quote from: "GSB"
Quote from: "markiii"right anyone know hoiw easy/hard it is to swap an LSD fron one box to another?

cheers

Mark.

Its been done on Spyderchat a few times, and theres plenty of pics etc over there. (Or at least there was...)

As I recall though, the hardest part of the job was getting the gearbox out...

Yeah, it's actually quite simple. Helped a friend to swap the LSD into the Celica 6spd, which should be similar to ours.

Btw, the SC method is very complicated. They use the BGB and basically dismantle the whole box getting into the diff. You can also open the gearbox from the other end and you get right at the diff. Then you just take the old one out and put the new one in.

Some say you should check all clearances, but we didn't and many haven't and they seem fine. Maybe it gets more important when you get to +200t miles or so.  s8) 8) s8)

You might wanna read the BGB for how to dismantle the gear change levers and how to put them back, that's the only tricky part. And make sure you get the reverse fork in place, or you end up with a box that's always on reverse.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Better try it before putting it back in the car, cause the biggest job really is getting it out and back in.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

kanujunkie

no you cant Tem, unfortunatley the box in Marks anyway is built up in such a way that you have to take the gears out to get to the LSD on the bottom of the bell houseing section, and thats Physically bolted in all the way through on the input shaft, the small cap at the opposite end from the bell houseing holds the first set of bolts which can be removed after removeing about 3 of the cogs, then the main houseing in the middle can come off and you can probably get to it from there, problem is we dont have a bearing puller or press so its a non starter in Marks garage   s:( :( s:(
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Tags: