Looking for mph..Need your help on Unichip(",)

Started by Anonymous, November 22, 2003, 15:18

Anonymous

Hi to mph and follow members...My unichip n turbo module seem to can't intercept with original ecu..My SMT turbo seem working well after intial tuning but after just barely 2hrs i start back the car , the car seem so jerky and the idling not smooth any more...At 3,4,5 gear and 2000-3000rpm the car vibrate when accelerate...Does yours behave the same?? How you settle this problem??? And does yr SMT shift gear smoothly?? My SMT seem like to be very retarded...

DAZ400

What turbo do you have ?  s:D :D s:D
SOLD No more 2. Just a bus for the family..........

Anonymous

hybrid TD04...

DAZ400

Do you have a 5th injector you use with unichip I know martin had to add one as the unichip system can't control the injectors.

Anonymous

I have added 2 more sub injector 550cc each

DAZ400

MPH Martin is the guy to speak to.  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Thats why i m looking for him for advice...

Anonymous

Quote from: "SpeedSun"Thats why i m looking for him for advice...

Send him a PM...

mph

Welcome!

Ugh! That doesn't sound good! I didn't have any such problem. Suggest you go back to the garage and do some diagnostics on it. Could be that a wire has become loose or something. I'm surprised you need two fuel injectors unless you're running silly boost levels on modified internals. I presume you haven't changed the existing injectors, only added the extras?

Basically, if it's not idling smooth, then it's got nothing to do with the SMT.

SMT not shifting smoothly? Do you have a dump value, either to atmosphere or in recirculation mode? If so, remove it. For the pressures you're generating (ie less than 2bar I would anticipate) you don't need one. All that talk of turbos stalling is pure hype.

I have no problems with SMT other than a slight over rev on up shifts on part throttle - due to the ECU trying to blend the clutch. Note I have an uprated clutch and lightened flywheel.

I wouldn't recommend driving if your car is 'vibrating' - get it sorted!
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

Yes u r right martin i didn't change my orginal injectors..i use 2 550cc sub injector for cooling cuz the engine running too hot and to prevent knocking...i follow your method of adding a dump valve to prevent the SMT to react weird..so i am quite confuse now should i remove it or leave it? Now everytime i upshift gear the SMT will take a long time to change gear..Did you have idle problem?? I try to push up my rpm but failed...did u have tis problem?? By the way will original ecu self learn because the piggyback push up the parameters too high or low thats why the Ecu try to revert back everything?? Thks for your time and advice Martin!

Here is wat i have done..Custom turbo kit with hybrid TD04,Dump Valve,2 550cc sub injectors,Dastek unichip with turbo module,Blitz boost controller set at 0.5bar,Aquamist,NGK cold plugs...

mph

I originally installed a dump valve but this caused problems with the SMT just as you describe and has been removed. SMT is now happy again.

I only had an idle problem when I tried to replace the stock injectors with the Celica 330cc ones. The ECU would try to balance on cold loop but would always over compensate. I reverted to the stock injectors and added the 5th injector, controlled by the Unichip.

I still don't understand why you are using *two* 550 injectors, one should be quite adequate for correct fuelling. Use a decent water/air intercooler or/and water injection for cooling, over richening is going to seriously destroy your CAT if you've still got it installed.
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

Anonymous

So i should remove the dump valve right away...but without a dump valve wouldn't the turbo lifespan be short?? Anyway i will listen to your advice and try out..So u just seal out the hole for the dump valve and voila??

I dunno if my tuner did any different changes to my original parameters..wat i afraid is that cuz my original ecu to self learn and react weirdly...Wat i originally wanted was to just retard my ignition and use turbo module to control the sub injectors only...I used 2 injector and aquamist to play safe..Still duno wat is the problem as all the wiring are fine...Hope my Engine will survive all this problem until i solve everything..

As i change my downpipe too so there is no more CAT but i still retain my original muffler and it produce this weird bubblely sound..

mph

Quote from: "SpeedSun"So i should remove the dump valve right away. ... So u just seal out the hole for the dump valve and voila??
Yep, I just made up a blanking plate to slot under the dump value minimize the hassle. All is happy.

Quote from: "SpeedSun"...but without a dump valve wouldn't the turbo lifespan be short??
At under 1 bar, there really isn't anything to be concerned with, IMO.

Quote from: "SpeedSun"I dunno if my tuner did any different changes to my original parameters..wat i afraid is that cuz my original ecu to self learn and react weirdly...Wat i originally wanted was to just retard my ignition and use turbo module to control the sub injectors only...I used 2 injector and aquamist to play safe..Still duno wat is the problem as all the wiring are fine...Hope my Engine will survive all this problem until i solve everything..
Don't worry about the learning the ECU does. I would recommend you use the stock injector upto at 85%, and only then blend in using the additional injector(s). This is safer and should be what your tuner is doing anyway.

What have you done with the O2 sensors? One or two? It sounds as if you are not using a standard kit, do you have a picture of the turbo down pipe?
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

Anonymous

Yep Martin..the SMT is happy again after removing the dump valve..

My 2 O2 sensor is at the extractor one at each side...is that ok??

mph

SMT happy ==   s:) :) s:)

As long as the two O2s don't block each other, they should be fine, though given they're no longer reading on a per-bank basis, you go down to using just one and use a splitter cable (contact Paul at PPE Engineering).

You should be able to 'disconnect' the Unichip and the engine should idle fine as it'll be on closed loop. Only if you had larger than stock injectors on the main rail would there be a problem.

Quick thought - I presume you've changed the fuel regulator to the PE one? Make sure that you've got a boost pressure pipe running correctly to it.
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

Anonymous

Quote from: "mph"SMT happy ==   s:) :) s:)

Quick thought - I presume you've changed the fuel regulator to the PE one? Make sure that you've got a boost pressure pipe running correctly to it.

He's running a custom setup Martin, so he won't have the FPR like ours.

mph

Err, good point... Still, he'll need a varying FPR.
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

Anonymous

boost pressure pipe?? whats that?? where is it located?

Anonymous

Forget about it if you haven't had the fuel pressure regulator changed (in fuel tank behind drivers seat).
If you have, it will be a vacuum pipe coming from the same area you would of teed off too go to your BOV.It will come through the firewall and go into the top of the petrol tank.

Anonymous

I had took off my dump valve for a while days already but sometime the when changing gears the rpm drop too fast so the the sngine stalls and restart again..u had this problem??

mph

I only had that problem when the BOV was attached. I would double-check that you fully sealed the hole where it was fitted.
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

Anonymous

I had weld back the hole where i used to put my BOV already.

Tags: