wiggly round high speed corners and under braking

Started by Anonymous, May 14, 2007, 13:33

Anonymous

Title says it all really... wiggles round corners and under braking like it's pulling left and right.

I recently had camber and tracking fixed, it was well out.

I have three fairly new BS Potenza Re040 two on front, one rear.

The other rear tyre, also BS potenza re040 (passenger side) needs replacing now as it's worn almost slick on inside from the camber being out. outside still got a fair bit of tread left.

Do you think replacing the tyre will solve the problems I'm having? or could it be something more sinister?  s:?: :?: s:?:

roger

Well it certainly won't help.

Get the tyre changed (before you end up in a ditch) and try again. At least you can then take that out of the equation.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Quote from: "roger"Get the tyre changed (before you end up in a ditch) .

I'm already on to it  s:) :) s:)  

Just more concerned that it might be something else! will post again when It's changed and let you know if it improves...  s:!: :!: s:!:

darrenjuggins

Hi,

Well I think you have answered the question yourself with your post....

2 new fronts. Thats good, remember you will find the camber is set so the inside edges will wear first, this aids cornering ability, it's a design feature.

Your rears, well you are asking for trouble, 1 new will 7mm plus tread and the other nearly bald on one edge, different traction caracteristics from both on a rear wheel drive, rear engined car will end badly.

Get the other rear changed ASAP and in future, always change in pairs, front or back....

What you might save initally will cost you dearly in the future.

out of interest which tyre is new and which is bald (ie. which is left rear, which is right rear ?) I'm guessing that it's the passenger side tyre which is worn...

This car handles fantastically as long as you have good rubber all round.

Regards

Darren J
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

Quote from: "darrenjuggins"out of interest which tyre is new and which is bald (ie. which is left rear, which is right rear ?) I'm guessing that it's the passenger side tyre which is worn...

Yep! gonna be asking everyone lots of questions before I go ahead and do anything to this car in future!

Cheers

spit

Quote from: "Gav1980"Just more concerned that it might be something else!
Aside from the obvious tyre issue that you need to get sorted, make sure that your rear bushes are all OK and that linkages are nicely torqued up. I had a very similar squirming issue which was traced to an arm that hadn't been fully tightened - fine on a straight but showed up on bends and under braking.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Chris_h

Gav, hopefully the tyre issue will solve the problems.

I found the back end horrid and squirmy when the pressures had dropped, so having 2 tyres of different circumference (as you now have   s:? :? s:?  ) will hopefully address your problems - if not, then maybe something in the suspension amiss - or perhaps something not tightened following your alignment work..

I assume your tyres are the correct pressure and you don't have a slow deflator?

I keep my eyes peeled when I drive through Weaverham...

Chris
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chris_h"I assume your tyres are the correct pressure and you don't have a slow deflator?
Chris

Now you come to mention it there is a nail in the old tyre! it does deflate very slowly but I keep it topping it up to the 'correct' pressure regularly - should be replaced this week though so until then I'll be careful not to go too fast. Not that I'm driving hard/far with the engine problems I'm having  s:( :( s:(   - see other posts...

roger

Quote from: "Gav1980"Now you come to mention it there is a nail in the old tyre!

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:? :? s:?    s:? :? s:?  I'm sorry, but having read this I really wonder what it's all about sometimes.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Quotehaving read this I really wonder what it's all about sometimes.

s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:? :? s:?  I wondered that myself when I checked this time... I had looked before but not found anything. But now when I looked - there is was, plain as day  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  . I'm getting the tyre replaced on Friday and going to check on the bushes and linkages too - off to read my newly downloaded workshop manual... I'm learning... slowly...  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

spit

Working out what keeps the '2 firmly attached to the black stuff is a good place to start on that steep learning curve gav  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  The slightest anomaly on the '2 can make a monumental difference to the handling.

We've got a good crew of blatters here in the NW if you want to meet up and get a second opinion  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

s:? :? s:?  still got the problem after getting the new tyre fitted, pressures all good, tyres all bridgestone potenzas (as stock) - definately pulls right under heavier braking, wiggles mostly turning left, most notably at higher speeds.

It stays straight when I let go of the wheel and there's no vibrations through the steering wheel so I don't think it's the tracking... any other ideas?  s:?: :?: s:?:

rtbiscuit

could be a sticky brake, but you would normally have an accompanying sound.

or a wheel bearing on its way out.
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

spit

Did you check the bushes?
Wheel Bearings is a good call too.

Both of these can be checked and ruled out (or fixed!) easily enough.

aaronjb

Top of my list would be a blown shockabsorber I think (on the right hand side of the car), after that bushes & wheel bearings.

If you aren't able to diagnose it yourself then I'd get it to a competent back street garage and have it checked over - all three things are easy enough to diagnose if you know what you're looking for.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

rtbiscuit

wheel bearings - grab wheel with both hands top is best and see if there is any movement in the wheel (backwards and forwards) try sides as well.

shock absorbers - push down on the car over each shock, the car should bob down and up and settle almost instantly, if it keeps bobing up and down afterwards, your shocks have gone
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

Chris_h

A knackered shock usually makes itself known with some unusual tyre wear patterns (patchy) in my exp.
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

spit

Quick post-script to this story....

We had a squizz at Gav's car yeserday. Shocks looked and felt OK as did wheel bearings ... but there was some disturbing play in the rear o/s wheel  s:? :? s:?  as demonstrated by "Rob the Rocker"  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Once up on the ramps we found a loose bolt on the rear toe adjust arm.   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Tweaked that up and the squirming seems to have gone.

Hopefully Gav will be able to go back and get his toe checked and adjusted again free of charge, as the garage clearly neglected to finish the job last time.

Anonymous

Quote from: "spit"Quick post-script to this story....

We had a squizz at Gav's car yeserday. Shocks looked and felt OK as did wheel bearings ... but there was some disturbing play in the rear o/s wheel  s:? :? s:?  as demonstrated by "Rob the Rocker"  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Once up on the ramps we found a loose bolt on the rear toe adjust arm.   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Tweaked that up and the squirming seems to have gone.

Hopefully Gav will be able to go back and get his toe checked and adjusted again free of charge, as the garage clearly neglected to finish the job last time.

Glad it got sorted Ste - good result for a 5 min rock n roll movement  s:D :D s:D    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Rob.

Chris_h

Good going Ste, there is a new career in all this somewhere.....

Its a sad state of affairs when the grease monkey didn't tighten it, at least you have one problem fixed now Gav!

Anonymous

Yeah, thanks all. Was good to meet some of you at last...

Now, the squirming has gone  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  so feels a lot safer thanks  - but there's an odd ratchety noise coming from the same wheel turning left under braking  s:? :? s:?   - The missus is off school this week (that kinda sounds bad...   s:!: :!: s:!:  )  so I'll trust her to wing it down to the monkey, I mean Garage this week and get him to sort it out properly - free of charge of course  s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:  

I can't believe when I took it back to him last time he had it for two days and didn't find what Rob and Ste found in all of five minutes   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:   Oh well, I know where not to take it next time I need something doing - imagine having him replace the engine or something, It'd probably drop out the back before I got home!  s:scared: :scared: s:scared:

spit

Quote from: "Gav1980"but there's an odd ratchety noise coming from the same wheel turning left under braking  s:? :? s:?

Stumped on that one matey  s:? :? s:?  unless the rear toe is now so far out its causing the bar to judder under turning/braking forces? I dunno... but the garage need to re-do the alignment so they probably owe you a bit of time to track that down too. We may have missed something in all of that oil  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Meantime, drive steady!

If you want to bimble over one evening and get on the ramps again let me know and we'll arrange.

Or if you want anyone in the area to recommend another garage, just shout.

Anonymous

ha ha  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Just topped up my oil and thought I'd have a little look underneath to see if there was anything obvious and silly - there was, the cable tie we cut off my "nappy" was still hanging there. I took it away and went for a good drive and the noise seems to have stopped  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Think that might have nailed that one! FINGERS CROSSED! anyway I'll keep listening incase it comes back  s:!: :!: s:!:

Chris_h

Nice one - if only all problems were so simple.

I thought I had catastrophic engine failure on my other car, but turned out to be a loose engine tray - phew

However, my MR2 developed an annoying vibration and pull to the left yesterday. No obvious reason, no apparent missing weights and tyre pressures OK. I am worried I may have hit an evil pothole that has put the tracking out or caused more serious mischief  s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

QuoteHowever, my MR2 developed an annoying vibration and pull to the left yesterday. No obvious reason, no apparent missing weights and tyre pressures OK. I am worried I may have hit an evil pothole that has put the tracking out or caused more serious mischief

If it's whilst cornering or under braking then check all the linkages and bush nuts... it worked for me!

Or if it's whilst in a straight line which then the vibration suggests you're probably right about the tracking being out - wouldn't you remeber hitting a pot hole hard enough to cause that  s:?: :?: s:?:   Whatever it is, just don't take it to Harvey's  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   Is National tyres at the top of Northwich any good  s:?: :?: s:?:  

Good Luck, I know a good guy in Wythenshaw who'd take a look at it for you  s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:

Tags: