Pre-Cats Decision..

Started by Anonymous, May 17, 2007, 11:48

Anonymous

Sorry to add to the many Pre-Cat posts already on here but I'm hoping some of you with the experience & brains can clear some things up for me. ...

Don't worry I've spent a long time searching and reading already  s:) :) s:)

I've got a 2002 2 with 27k on clock and am obviously V wary of the pre-cats (more so as it's pre 2003)

These are the options I would seem to have: (It would be good to hear how many people have chosen to do what so I can get an idea)

- Best & cheapest choice seems to be to gut them but I've read bad things about emissions after doing this. I see alot of members on here have gutted theirs... does everyone get problems with emissions after doing this? (Having to rag the engine before the MOT..etc)

- Leave pre-cats - I am a usually a believer in "If it aint broke, Don't fix it"... (but not sure if i am in this case!) Are many people leaving theirs and hoping for the best?

- Change to a CHE manifold or similar. Is there any negatives with the CHE? (I'm not that mechanically minded to be honest   s:? :? s:?  ). Plus does this sort of change make much difference to insurance?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Anonymous

Personally, I have a '00 with 75k.  I have left the precats in and take the 02 sensors out every couple of months and have a look.  I also keep an eye on the oil consumption.  That said, I am sure someone will tell me that the precats break up very quickly, or I am mad.

red_leicester

I'm leaving mine in.  The reasons for this are:

1. I guesstimate the failure rate to be around 1% from the evidence I've seen and heard about.

2. Post de-precatting problems others have experienced.

3. In all the posts I've read where people have de-precatted they are always in A1 condition.
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

markiii

sods law says if you ignore and easily prevented problem, yours will be teh 1% that goes bang

lets hope not

interesting side question?

couple of years ago MR2 specific 1zz engines were dirt cheap, theyv'e doubled in teh last 2 years, why?

I suspect teh demand from people with dead engines.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

heathstimpson

Gutted mine at a year old when still in warrenty. Never had an issue since and have passed two MOT's with very low emission values  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

That's actually quite promising to hear it's probably only around 1% ...If that's the case then I'm quite tempted to leave and hope for the best  s:) :) s:)

I would have said it was way way higher than that after reading all the posts on here... but as someone else said - forums like this are a magnet for people with problems/wanting advice so can make it sound much worse than it really is.

markiii

you might want to go check SC as well

the percentage over there is very high

personally you'd be mad to risk it
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

red_leicester

I forgot #4:

Sheared manifold bolts.
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

Graeme

Quote from: "markiii"sods law says if you ignore and easily prevented problem, yours will be the 1% that goes bang

That's exactly what happened to me, I was leaving it 'till the summer, and they went bang on boxing day!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  I'll also need a new engine soon as it's losing a lot of oil:(

I'd recommend doing it asap.

BTW. Mine was a 2001 model with around 40 on the clock.
2001, Black, A/C, H/Top, Leather, no precats, and a club sticker![/color]
Why did they call it a "Midship Runabout"?!?! Surely "Mid-Engine Roadster" would have sounded better.

Anonymous

I don't think anyone has been unable to pass MOT emissions tests because of precat failure. As long as the garage does the test properly and warms the engine up first.

Our engine is shared with the celica and corolla.
They don't have precats and don't have a problem with emissions.

roger

Gutted mine when one year old...first MOT this Saturday!!
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

huriant

Certainly not doing mine (04) while it still has 6 months warranty, but after that will seriously consider it. unless I extend the warranty, decisions decisions !!

markiii

I would suggest to those concerned about gutting and MOT failure to either get a che manifold or get hold of a spare manaifold and gut that.

if you fail mot, swap them back, no big deal

at least your not risking your engine 11 months of teh year

tonigmr2

Is it a serious risk on 05+ cars though?  Reading around it appears the majority of failures are 00-02?
T
Yellow 55 with hardtop and aircon!

markiii

Dan had 2 in succession go on his 03 1 with less than 1000 miles on it.

never heard of an 05 failure yet but then they are all going ot be quite low mileage

I'd still remove them on an 05, aside from teh obvious plus points are a fraction more power and a less boring exhaust noise

loadswine

My last 2 passed 2 MOTs with no precats and the tester didn't have a problem with emissions on either occasion. I certainly felt happier with them removed.
I found that if you combined the gutting work with doing something else like changing the exhaust, it was pretty good in terms of hours spent per jobs done.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

Gutted my 02. Bought my 06 with 7 miles on it and put on a che asap.

Simple really, as dirty Harry said "do you feel lucky punk?"

Three types of people on here;

1/ gutted, precats are gone and are worry free.   s:D :D s:D  
2/ non gutted, precats are still in, blase about it, not worry free.   s:?: :?: s:?:  
3/ gutted, because they left the precats in and engine went bang.   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

There is good advice on this forum, from a lot of clever people who know the 2 well, i chose to listen  s:) :) s:)

freak_in_cage

im in a similar situation- 03 model 52 plate with 33k on clock.

have extended warrenty atm so have a bit of safety with that- getting big service done in a month or 2 along with and just before warrenty comes out will check pre cats. if badly damaged --> mr t and kick up a fuss, if no damage CHE manifold.

risk doesn;t seem worth it keeping them in IMO, check with insurance company to see affect on premium thou.

Anonymous

No effect on my premium with More Than

Wabbitkilla

Gutted mine at 10k, admittedly not under warranty, but 100% peace of mind.

imho you'd have to be crazy not to. Esp considering the length of time you can be off the road and the arguments with MrT to get your engine fixed.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

I couldn't disagree more with some of the opinions expressed on here.
I'm now firmly convinced that pre-cats are not the cause of engine failures and I will not be removing mine.
This is an important issue which has been covered before, but in the interests of presenting a more balanced view I've just posted a new thread - see "Pre-cats The Alternative View".

Anonymous

Markiii.  Have you lock my thread becuse you diasagree with the opinions expressed?
I think this is an important issue wich deserves a thread of its own.
Please re-open it.

markiii

[ADMIN] Mike, I've locked your other thread as I see no point in starting yet another thread just to refute the opinions in thisone, just keep it all in one place. [ADMIN]

from a personal point of view if you 'd rather take advice from Toyota rather than "a few enthusiats on teh internet" (your perogative) why are you here, we have nothing of value to add   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

markiii

if it was purely because I disagreed with it, I would have just deleted it. (Well actually I wouldn't because I'm not like that, but you see my point)

Anonymous

Markiii.  You might see no point in allowing people to discuss this issue in its own thread, but I disagree and I think others might support my view.
Please re-open the thread

Tags: