Pre-Cats Decision..

Started by Anonymous, May 17, 2007, 11:48

markiii

it's because the Ceramic ones "aren't the highest quality"

lets just say I beleive teh source  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Chris_h

As an aside (and apologies as I am sure it is burried somewhere in the archives), does removing the precats in theory liberate the extra 2bhp the Celica has? or does the Celica use a different map / or another reason why it has a tad more power than the 2?

Whichever theory you support re cause / effect, I see removing the pre-cats as a no brainer.
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Anonymous

Quote from: "sandstrain"Che is cheap, and some may argue gives a bit more performance.

I should say so, remember it's a direct copy of the TRD manifold (£870) - I gained 6bhp when I switched from gutted manifold to Che's.

(£20 per horse for what it's worth)

BTW - I didn't see any major gains after gutting my precats. Sounded a bit throatier though.

Anonymous

Although you say if it ain't broke don't fix it, I think from my own experience that there is an inherent oil burning issue with these engines.

IMHO the oil burning damaged the pre-cats which got back into my engine and exacerbated the oil burning problems... a vicious circle... now I seem to use more oil than the Arabs have to sell  s:!: :!: s:!:  

Therefore IMHO you should remove the precats before the engine destroys one/both of them and you enter the vicious circle... In my case I was too late to find out about the issue. You know about it now - think how sick you'll be IF you leave them in and IF they break up and knacker your engine.

Nothing in life is certain but you can take action now to reduce the probability of it happening to you...

Tags: