not a good day

Started by kanujunkie, May 21, 2007, 17:06

kanujunkie

first i get a P0141 which wont go away, and secondly i've got a gearbox whine, dissapears when you put the clutch in and only appears when you go over 40mph, not sure wether to do Rhons trip at the mo  s:( :( s:(
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

karlus972

Quote from: "kanujunkie"i've got a gearbox whine, dissapears when you put the clutch in and only appears when you go over 40mph, not sure wether to do Rhons trip at the mo  s:( :( s:(

same happened to me a couple of days before the gear box AND clutch passed away   s:? :? s:?
Madinina Style!!

kanujunkie

so a long trip around Wales is probably not a good idea then?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Bad news Stu, still surely someone else going to Rhons has a spare seat you could fill? No point in missing out  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

What the hell is it with Roadsters and gearboxes these last couple of weeks?!

Sorry to hear that Stu, hope it's nothing too serious.

BenF

Stu - P0141 probably just a dead heater element on the O2 sensor - easy to check with a Multimeter?

Gearbox whine - quickest/easiest thing to do would be to check the oil level I guess and make sure its OK?

FWIW, mine is making more noise than when it did originally, but I have done ~74k miles or so now, 30k of them putting much more torque through the box after the turbo was fitted.
Chargecooled PE Turbo, Unichip, TRD Front brace, Corky's Breastplate, Tein SS springs.

karlus972

Quote from: "kanujunkie"so a long trip around Wales is probably not a good idea then?

I wouldn't try it to be honnest.
My gear box and clutch died on my way BACK from France, 100 km away from home. I was quite lucky......

It's a kind of whinny noise which disappear when you clutch right?
Madinina Style!!

kanujunkie

i'm on 71k now, unfortunatly i dont have any ramps here to check the gearbox oil so i've sent her into the garage for thursday

and yes it does stop when ou clutch in
[size=100]Stu[/size]

BenF

Stu - does it whine when in neutral and clutch is out?

If so, I wonder if it could just be the throw out bearing? On Mk2s they wear and get noisy. You can replace them if you are replacing the clutch, but they end up noisy again within a few months.
Chargecooled PE Turbo, Unichip, TRD Front brace, Corky's Breastplate, Tein SS springs.

aaronjb

Quote from: "BenF"Stu - P0141 probably just a dead heater element on the O2 sensor - easy to check with a Multimeter?

I don't believe Stu has a 3rd O2 sensor anymore.. just a big resistor.. (I could be wrong, I'm going by a vague memory now!)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

BenF

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "BenF"Stu - P0141 probably just a dead heater element on the O2 sensor - easy to check with a Multimeter?

I don't believe Stu has a 3rd O2 sensor anymore.. just a big resistor.. (I could be wrong, I'm going by a vague memory now!)

Heh - Yes, I've been down that road as well, and have ended up building an O2 sensor emulator to keep the ECU happy   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

aaronjb

Quote from: "BenF"Heh - Yes, I've been down that road as well, and have ended up building an O2 sensor emulator to keep the ECU happy   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

I remember your post about that - NE555 with some other bits & bobs, IIRC?

I'm sure Stu is using a conditioner to fake the 3rd O2 (I don't remember there being any bungs on his exhaust post-CAT when we put it in, although he's got a radically different exhaust now).. anyway it's heater failure, so..

Oddness.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

kanujunkie

nope, i still have a 3rd 02 sensor, its bank 1 sensor 1 thats missing, it shares data from the other O2 sensor.

well i tried to get the oil fill bung out and its stuck fast, so i'll get the garage to check on thursday when its in the air

just hope it lives till then
[size=100]Stu[/size]

aaronjb

You do? Damn..  s:) :) s:)  I don't remember putting that in - must have been asleep that day  s;) ;) s;)

Maybe it's a wiring fault rather than heater fault?  Checked under the tape where you *ahem* adjusted the wiring with the dremel?

kanujunkie

i fitted the 3rd O2 some 2 months after the rest of it due to the rewireing of it all. Dont have time at the mo to test it but i'm going to lay money that its telling the truth

never rains but it pours eh  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

still Mark and myself reckon we can refit his and do mine on monday and tuesday next week if needs be. On wednesday i'm going to need plenty of ice for my bruised hands me thinks  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

aaronjb

Ah yeah - so true my friend..

Anyway, I'm free to pop up at some point this coming w/end if you're doing Mark's, maybe we can get through both a little quicker  s;) ;) s;)

Especially as we won't be faffing with bits of wood this time  s;) ;) s;)  We'll have Mark's bit slid back in within an hour I reckon.. (and doesn't that sound rude!)

Anonymous

Very important piece of equipment you guys must not overlook.........
a strong belt for Aarons trousers!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

aaronjb

You know what, I'm confiscating everyones cameras this time!

No chance of me pulling any of the board girls now, is there  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"You know what, I'm confiscating everyones cameras this time!

No chance of me pulling any of the board girls now, is there  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Might be of interest to some of the boys though  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

aaronjb

*shudders* - and not in a good way!

Anyway, back to the topic  s:) :) s:)  (No, the topic is not my arse  s:P :P s:P  )

kanujunkie

i agree, i personally think the main problem will be those bolts on top of the box, plus any conversion issues from 5 to 6 speed, the actual bolting together of the box and the suspension wont take long at all imho

i'm going to Marks on monday morning now to help, not sure what the full state of play is with mine and probably wont until thursday, so i'll call you then
[size=100]Stu[/size]

aaronjb

I reckon those bolts will be OK going back in - hard to judge the torque, but at least we won't be hanging off them this time  s:) :) s:)

You're right about the 5-6 spd conversion though, I forsee modifications to the bracket if the box comes without a bracket..

Anyway, back to the topic of yours!

Let me know if you want me to pop over one evening for a listen (assuming you still have the car with you) and a poke (the car!).

philster_d

Good luck

spit

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Sorry to hear about this Stu. Lets hope its something you can recover from quickly.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

kanujunkie

cheers guys, i'm hopeing i can catch Adam as i beleive he has a jap non LSD box that i can sling in whilst i get mine overhauled

you in tommorow afternoon Aaron?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tags: