3 Engine failures after rebuilds

Started by Anonymous, May 23, 2007, 14:06

Anonymous

Hi,

Having trouble with my two and Marshall's Toyota of Peterborough.
Car was under extended warranty when I had the gearbox rebuilt. I had the car back for two days and 40 miles later the big end and bearings failed due to no oil. (Which I check religiously) car passed MOT 2 days before gearbox work.

Marshall's repaired engine by replacing crank and main bearings along with oil pump and number of other components. but engine failed again after 26 very slow miles. I de-pre-cated at this point as this site suggested so.

Marshall's replaced two shells which they said had manufacturing defects with the alloy coating on the shells.

Around 110 miles later its knocking again  s:( :( s:(  Marshall's have ordered new crank and bearings etc. because the crank has cracked.

I understand that the Toyota GB guidelines suggest the engine should have been replaced in the first instance. But car is over the 7 year and  100 odd thousand mile warranty. Car has only done 61k and is W reg.

The workmanship on the car has been awful! Service panel half fell off and dragged on floor after second repair as only half the fixings have been used and only hand tight. Pipe that forms the cold air intake for airbox fell off as airbox not bolted in place. It just floats. Oil all over leather seats and carpet (it stinks) and some new punch shaped dents on rear wings.

I feel though I have become the garages worst nightmare and am being constantly lied to about repair etc. I need to know what my options are regarding having this taken care of professionally. Hope there is a another two user that can advise on best course of action.

I can imagine there are more horror stories regarding Marshall's of Peterborough. Would anybody like to share? I had a friend who had an  05 Avensis that was constantly being repaired by them and the car was almost sold for scrap eventually. LOL

Thanks. MR2 ROC on.....

Steve Yemc

philster_d

I think people have written to toyata in the past due to unsavoury dealership experiences.

Anonymous

think it may be the precats? do they have precats over there? if so, you will have to totally swap the engine and exhaust, or it will keep doing it no matter how many times you fix it.

Wabbitkilla

1. Find out who heads up Toyota UK and write to them directly at home.
2. Seek advice from Citizens advice.
3. There's a professional body all garages are supposed to be members of - find out who they are and give 'em a call.
4. As they've tried so many times, go for a half engine - not just the crank and associated gubbins.

All suggestions but you're being treated very shabbily and should be protected. Glad i don't go to a dealer anymore unless i want parts.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

aaronjb

Quote from: "paul price"do they have precats over there?

Oh yes, we have them here  s:( :( s:(
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "paul price"think it may be the precats? do they have precats over there? if so, you will have to totally swap the engine and exhaust, or it will keep doing it no matter how many times you fix it.

Note, he *did* have precats:

Quote from: "yemcy"I de-pre-cated at this point as this site suggested so.

Anyone else think they should have given up and put a whole new engine after the 3rd try?   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Simon

markiii

yep

though I'm betting teh main cat never got replaced either
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

darrenjuggins

Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear your experiences with Marshall Toyota.

It sounds like toyota are doing a good job in that they are prepared to attempt to sort your engine issues out, but it would seem that the dealership really isn't delivering in terms of quality of workmanship.

Now obviously you could attempt to take it to a different dealer, but I suspect Marshall Toyota would prefer you not to, as they will be getting all the payments from Toyota for the warranty work.

I would suggest, Lister of Lincoln, but Peterborough is a long way in a poorly car and as mentioned above, I think that would have to be a toyota decesion.

As for the putting the new engine in.... well i'm not sure, I suspect that if you know which bits need replacing then, they should be replaced, not a whole new engine.

Most of the time you find its a kit, "the Short block" and all the associated bits, like pistons, etc, etc....

You may get to the point where all the changes have caused more damage, in which case it may mean a new engine completely.

I guess your only saving grace is that you are actually getting them to do something....

Had a friend with an RX8, just after the 3 year warranty, Cat went on the car (what a surprise with the oil usage!) and the cheeky buggers only agreed to fund 1/2 the cost, so at least toyota are doing you a service in that respect with the car now being 7 years old.

Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers
Darren J
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"yep

though I'm betting the main cat never got replaced either

+1

Make a written account of everything that has happened (although leave out the bit about gutting the pre-cats) and take it in and see the Service Manager in person: Do this via an official 'booked time' meeting. Sit down with him and explain what has happened, and ask what he's going to do to rectify the situation. At the least I would expect them to repair the engine again (although I'd point out that a new engine would save them a lot of hassle in the long run!) and that all the dents and dings they've made (which I'm hoping you've already pointed out to them as soon as you noticed!) should be repaired, and that you expect to be compensated for the oil patches everywhere whether it be money or free parts.

They should sort everything out. If they don't then send that letter to Toyota GB and they will thoroughly kick their arse for you: I did exactly this when I was treated like an idiot by my local dealer, and I got asked in by the service manager personally and I've never seen someone apologise so much.  s8) 8) s8)

Was the car under the 7 year period when you originally took it in? If so then they have to repair it to your satisfaction, regardless of whether it's now out of the warranty period. Stick to your guns, and you will get it sorted.

kanujunkie

make that +2

blocked main cat will fubar the engine everytime
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

tonigmr2

Excellent advice above - detail everything in a diary like fashion with dates.  Ring the dealership and ask to speak to the manager.  Visit him and make your complaint, and tell him your next step is to contact Toyota UK.

If no joy carry out your threat!!!  

T
Yellow 55 with hardtop and aircon!

Gofaster

Quote from: "kanujunkie"make that +2

blocked main cat will fubar the engine everytime

+3

and Mr.T asked me 730 Euros for a new one...
" No Honey, thats always been on my car"

enid_b

+4
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Anonymous

+ 5

Wanted to replace the entire exhaust system for GBP 1500!  I said no way am I paying that but asked if it would be okay to drive back home (200 miles) in this state, being unaware of the precat issue at the time, they said fine - on arrival engine was scrap (oil was okay before I left).  That was dealer #2 (Sandhurst).  Dealer #1 (Shrewsbury) simply ignored the O2 sensor warnings in the months leading up to the incident, even though it had a £550 service two weeks before its final days.

So wouldn't say Marshalls of Peterborough are particulary bad.  Just the norm.

Tags: