Removing sticker glue from windscreen.

Started by Anonymous, November 24, 2003, 21:52

Anonymous

Back in June we went to the 24hr du Mans and for the car park we got a big sticker on the inside of the screen. Well I left it there for a month or so before taking it off, but I cant get rid of the glue. We had temperatures upto 40C but I couldnt shift it, although it was soft. I didnt want to scratch it off.

Any suggestions how I can remove it? Any solvent to try perhaps - Chantal suggested nail varnish remover   s:? :? s:?  but I dont like the sound of that.

SteveJ

Iso-Propyl Alcohol will do the trick, and is relatively safe - just don't pour loads of it on the dashboard.

Nail Varnish remover on the other hand is generally acetone based, and will eat the surface of the dashboard if even the tiniest drop hits it  s:flame: :flame: s:flame:

Anonymous

Thanks Steve. I will try and get some tomorrow and see how it goes.

Anonymous

I believe WD 40 will also do the trick.

Geoff.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Rapid 17"I believe WD 40 will also do the trick.

Geoff.

But wont that cause other problems... oil on the screen doesnt sound nice.

juansolo

Petrol on a cloth.  Don't smoke while you're doing it though.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "juansolo"Petrol on a cloth.  Don't smoke while you're doing it though.
No probelm as I dont smoke.....Well not unless Im on fire anyhow   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Hi there

Just got my car back from SVA with huge stickers all over the inside of the screen from the auctions.
Was suggested i use the sticky remover from Asda, however used autoglym glass cleaner concentrated on cloth, bit of elbow grease and it came off.

Hope that helps

Slacey

Quote from: "adair69"however used autoglym glass cleaner concentrated on cloth, bit of elbow grease and it came off.
Autoglym also do a glass polish (slightly abrasive) which would get any remaining residue off should the glass cleaner leave a little bit.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Well I just tryied some Iso-Propyl Alcohol. Its nicly dried up my skin   s:( :( s:(   but has removed some of the gunk. Its bloody cold in the garage right now, so mys only option is to take the car for a spin   s:P :P s:P   with the heaters on full blast to the screen and try again.

Any excuse   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Humble Jim

Quote from: "SteveJ"Iso-Propyl Alcohol will do the trick...

Just out of curiosity, where do you get Iso-Propyl Alcohol from? I'm after some for another use - namely cleaning a CPU 'slug' prior to fitting a new fan on a new layer of thermal paste. Tried my local chemist with no success and I'm stumped where to try next and I want to avoid resorting to nail polish remover.
H&S Exhaust

Anonymous

I got mine from a local electronics store, similar to Maplin in the UK. I would also expect to be able to get it from a chemist.

Humble Jim

Quote from: "victor"I got mine from a local electronics store, similar to Maplin in the UK. I would also expect to be able to get it from a chemist.

Good idea Victor. We've got a Maplin's here in Leeds. A look at the Maplin website tells me they do sell the stuff (they promote it as a tape head cleaner).

Thanks!
H&S Exhaust

Anonymous

Quote from: "victor"
Quote from: "Rapid 17"I believe WD 40 will also do the trick.

Geoff.

But wont that cause other problems... oil on the screen doesnt sound nice.

Victor,it should be ok but cleaning the glass with a proper glass cleaner afterwards will probably be required. I've used it many times to remove the glue left on CD cases when removing a sticker.

Geoff.

Tem

Quote from: "Rapid 17"I've used it many times to remove the glue left on CD cases when removing a sticker.

Likewise, but it only works on the clear ones. I've used it on a couple of "fancy" cases and they have been ruined...  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

heathstimpson

I have always used sticker removal spray which is natural orange based and is excellent. Available from DIY and electronic suppliers as with RS, Farnell etc. I find it better than the other chemicals suggested  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Slacey

Being orange based, does it smell nice, too?   s:) :) s:)
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Slacey"Being orange based, does it smell nice, too?   s:) :) s:)
Far better than any chemicals  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:o :o s:o    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Tags: