Project run Wabbit run ... probably not 56k friendly

Started by Wabbitkilla, May 27, 2007, 18:54

Wabbitkilla

And now for the pictures of recent developments, first is sent off one of these...

To be turned into this...

Here's the comparrison

So Ste helped me fit it...

Makes a surprising difference!
I then put a TRD lightened flywheel in and Exedy organic clutch (Thanks to Dave at Prolex) - again a surprising and amusing difference to delivery.

Yesterday, me, Ste, and one or two very useful helpers fitted this;

Yes - that is the Janspeed exhaust! I was really surprised it came with a downpipe - and what appears "ahem" to be a catalyst of some sort (thanks to Dave at Prolex again) - top bit of kit, i just hope it quietens down a bit with time!

What next?

Well - one of these...

plus this...

With MAP sensor input and Innovate wideband and then a visit to our friends at Hypersports.

No idea what it's going to make power wise but it has been interesting and makes my baby a bit unique in a croud of friends. Ste reckons i'm a boxster wannabe, but i don't care  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

enid_b

did you bang your head recently?

have to say, hats off to you nik. you really have gone hi tech, hi spec within the space of a week.

and despite it sounding a little subaru ish its a lovely throaty roar you have. im looking forward to being behind you on our next jaunt - which i believe could be the anglesey run?

good work....

and..........

yes, you have guessed it

another gold star for you chap. ( thats 2 i believe)

J
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Wabbitkilla

Heh -why thank you kind sir, i must say that although Ste wasn't looking himself yesterday

It wouldn't have been possible without his help, his facilities, or his copious supply of Caffeine rich products.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

That scooby noise is interesting, i've heard it mentioned about other peoples 2's too! At least the feds will be too busy looking for a souped up Scoob and over look likkle me  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

enid_b

damm those pesky feds.  should be out catching real criminals
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

DannyN

Just a couple of photos from yesterday,  firstly one to prove that Nick got his hands dirty....

Also

Hey Nick you forgot your 'Angry Eyes'    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

*[Mod]Pics edited and re-hosted to protect the innocent  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   - Ste [/Mod]*
Edited to have pics the right way round and slapped wrists taken - Danny
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

Anonymous

Where was the TB bought from?!

spit

Its an interesting and different route that Nic is taking with his car ... I'm looking forward to the next installment with the electronics.

Nic & I convoyed for a bit today. The Janspeed sounds really, really, really nice. Under load its a tad loud but its got that throatiness that makes the engine sound more solid (if you know what I mean).

And its a beautifully made piece of kit at an amazing price.

The TB is also a really well turned out (!) piece of work - the enlarged butterfly and smoothed inlet tract give the N/A a few more torques.

All excellent stuff.

*sells up and starts again in a frenzy of jealousy*
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Wabbitkilla

I bought the throttle body from a breakers through an online search - one of the usual parts finder jobs, £40 all in.

Looking through Spyderchat i found this place. The guy is called Jorge Pugliese, he quoted me $180 for the bore out and flow with return postage. It took 2-3 weeks for the round trip of the TB. The outer casing was untouched, but the bore was nicely reamed out and smooth with new butterfly in place. Jorge is a good guy, but for some reason SC have removed his listing so they must've found someone else for their work. The butterfly has 560 stamped on it - whatever that means, but flow characteristics of the throttle "feel" much smoother and deeper.

I was worried because soon after fitting the TB i got and engine light and it took me a week or two to get a reader. In that time i didn't go far - but it turns out the code was 0141 so it appears just to be a coincidence if such a thing exists. ECU was obviously reset when the TB went in, but who would've guessed i would get an 0141 for the 3rd O2 heater circuit going duff. It only comes on when up to running temperature and i've got a generic replacement from Gendan to fit tomorrow so will update after that with the result.

With the TB alone response was quite interesting. You can hear the engine breathing deeper and throttle response was definitely quicker, especially when you were already carrying momentum. The wierdest thing was the reduced affect of engine braking. Adding the lightened flywheel and clutch brought some of the engine braking back which is kind of wierd but at the same time pleasing. Response when pulling away is great and driving my usual sweepeing a and b roads is now in a new dimension - highly amusing

Anonymous

So you like it then  s:) :) s:)  

iI once had an offer for a Bored TB but wasnt interested, but im now interested again, most likely it wont do much but it carnt hurt to try!

Im not sure if anyone does it on SC, maybe Littlerocket?

northernalex

Nick , what can i say.. amazing stuff.. I'm jelous. Very jelous!.... Do you feel the lightened flywheel is a big difference? because thats my next possible change??

Alex
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Wabbitkilla

Once i was already committed to the deal with Jorge i found that Littlerocket has a stock of bored out TB. No-one seems convinced about the effect and maybe it's dificult to prove what you feel empirically. But i felt that throttel response was definitely more spritely and torque felt improved too.

Just wierd the way the engine braking seems to disappear.

Before fitting the exhaust, my local spanner man (jobs too big for me or Ste with our limited facilities) had a go after fitting the flywheel and clutch, his comment was "that's f'ing sharp.

Wabbitkilla

Lightened flywheel is a giggle! I had the clutch fitted at the same time just in case i go turbo eventually. Of course all of this stands me in good stead for a Wabbit design turbo setup next year  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Back to the flywheel - you do have to carry a few more revs when pulling away but once the clutch bites it starts forward rapidly. Pulling out of junctions can be dicey in the wet or slimey conditions, in the dry with warm tyres it's a hoot!

Like any mod I find it hard to recommend anything personally because what suits me might not suit you. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. My spanner man charged me 6 hours labour (2 men 3 hours each) for the job. But he has a great workshop and although hasn't done anything like this to and MR2 before, knows his stuff.

Anonymous

Looks better out of the garage Nic, it's a pity I counldn't stay any longer.  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

You'll get use to the sound especially if it's something different from the norm  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Interesting to see what the dyno's come out too, mind you if you take it to Chris he will drain every last drop of power and torque out of it.

Which flywheel and clutch did you get?

All you need now is to join the big "T" club  s:D :D s:D    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Rob.

Anonymous

Well done Nic,

Nice to see it done you e-mails had piqued my curiosity

So what plans have you for a Wabbit Exhaust

rtbiscuit

good work wabbit.
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

andywood

That Janspeed system looks as good as you report it sounding!

Where did you get from and how much?

I was planning on no mods other than TTE springs, but that centre twin pipe is right up my street.

Did the Janspeed system come with both pipes shown in your photo, i.e. everything after the main exhaust manifold?

Nice job BTW   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

andywood

Just answered my own question, found the Janspeed details on the Prolex link   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Was fitting difficult or was it just a case of unbolt the old and put the new on?
Is it designed to be a asthetic upgrade only or is it designed to be more freely flowing and offer some extra horses?

Cheers
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

PET3R

You might bet a few boxster owners waving and flashing their lights from behind now!

Wabbitkilla

Arf - the exhaust is priced in the £400 region with Prolex now.

It is definitely more than aesthetic, it is louder and free-er flowing.
There appears to be a cat in there and i'm not getting any engine lights or codes regarding cat malfunction. Yes - you get both parts, the backbox and the downpipe. You couldn't fit one without the other as it shifts the position of the joint.

Another improvement is it improves rear ground clearance and looks great without the rear nappy.

Fitting is a doddle - getting the old one out (without removing the bumper) is a bu**er  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

PET3R

Were you just standard before that?

Wabbitkilla

Markiii inlet and Pre-cats removed only before this.

DannyN

getting the old one out without removing the bumper wasn't that bad mate, just a bit of jiggery pokery !!
  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

Wabbitkilla

OK - apart from Ste's ribcage taking the weight of it coming out the bottom  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Those rubbers were a bit awkward you have to admit  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

What a coincidence - spotted (heard!) you on Monday whilst in the high street and commented to SWMBO about the twin centre exhausts.  
Nice!

Wabbitkilla

Well guys, no sign of the Che nor the MAP and harness.

But on friday i took the car to work - erm oops!
Mucho smeel of unburnt fuel and a fuel guage running like the hour hand of a clock - very rich and i got worried.

So i was over-fueling, which prompted me yeasterday (and today - another oops) to fit the eMu and Innovate.

OK aside from mistakes eveything is fitted and running. The eMu is a pretty handy bit of kit. You can even tell it the engine is a 1ZZ-FE and it sets itself up with default parameters to run the engine. One thing to do first is to set the throttle position sensor voltages before setting off. This appears to have solved my rich problem.

Basically because the throat of the TB is larger than standard, the butterfly has further to travel from closed to fully open. This results in the voltage feedback being quite different from the standard TB. With the eMu you can teach it the relative voltages for the throttle position and it then takes care of fueling and ignition according to the new values - the standard ECU doesn't seem able to cope with the new TB and assumes it is always open, thus over fueling the engine. This is of course all theory - but it does seem to make sense and the car is infinitely better with the eMu in place, running cooler and the innovate shows fueling is better.

The eMu also gives a huge amount of logging information which is handy to see what the engine is doing at any particular time. You can even log without the laptop attached and upload when you get home!

So the upside is that the car is now running safely and reliably.

In our upcoming next episode, we will see the following - not necesarily in this order depending on when bits turn up;
MAP sensor install and plug up to the eMu.
Innovate AFR input into the eMu for dynamic self mapping.
CHE manifold install
New bank1 sensor 2 replacement (Generic throws a 0141 on warm start but stays clear for the rest of the drive)
A visit to a rolling road for final tune up and power measurement.

Tags: