Project run Wabbit run ... probably not 56k friendly

Started by Wabbitkilla, May 27, 2007, 18:54

Wabbitkilla

Pistons and rods are now out, evidence of blowback and although the oil rings move freely they are very compressed and mucky.

Big ends show a little bloom but no.3 is marked, though the crank journal is fine

Compared to

Here you can see the difference in piston design between my 2003 and the later 2005.

So although the pistons and little ends are fine I'm going to swap in the new ones, hone the cylinders and put some new big end shells in all rods.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Wabbitkilla

Well today not much done in the way of hardware.
But I have cleaned the front side of the engine

The rest of the effort had involved some travelling and finding some great engineering shops around Manchester which resulted in some changes to plans.

First injectors were dropped in for cleaning and testing at B&J Racing. This is an interesting if cluttered place and they rebuild engines for racing plus big style gas engines. We found some parts that couldn't be refused due to a dropped valve...

Then we popped into Pirtek to discuss pipework for the add on oil cooler, sounds very do-able, will be high quality hydraulic fittings with single wire an-8 pipe.

Next we headed around to a new garage run by an old friend to remove the valve stem oil seals and pick up some new sealant for the sump and end casings.

Dropped the conrods new little ends, pistons, and pins at Contract Engineering in Stockport, Tim's a nice guy and came well recommended from Popes engineering supplies also in Stockport.

We called into RRG Denton to pick up the big ends and new hub nuts and had a look around d the GT86. They have the TRD special edition GT86 in and it looks the business!

While we were discussing cleaning the valves and what to use at Popes we learned of another company Excel Engineering near Bradbury who do a good job in valve cleaning. When we visited we found an excellent workshop where they do crank regrinds, honing, boring, all sorts of stuff. Tomorrow we will be dropping the head, rocker cover, end case, and valves. The guys do soda blasting and it brings heads and casings up like new, they're going to clean the valves too. All at a really terrific price. They did offer to skim the head and cut the valves in but I don't believe anything that radical is required as everything is in really good shape, just a bit of coke.

Lots more cleaning tomorrow and replacing the crank end oil seal behind the flywheel while we wait for the various parts to be ready for collection.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

loadswine

Excellent progress, this is good stuff!  s:) :) s:)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

AndyM

Great reading and good to see so many local businesses getting in on the action  s:) :) s:)
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

puma2

s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  have to say what a great Wright up and with pictures just brilliant  s:) :) s:)  well done all involved in the hands on work.

Wabbitkilla

Well, Contract Engineering in Stockport have effectively scrapped my new little ends.

New ones ordered locally and we have a recommendation for another company for fitting them.
Going to collect the new bearings and visit tomorrow.

A bit P'd off at the moment and the guys who recommended Contract will be getting a visit too probably.

Wabbitkilla

Engine bay is clean now.

As a bonus I've swapped out both drive shafts for a pair supplied from Mr Bond, my originals had the hub stubs damaged by the garage who replaced the clutch and caused all sorts of problems. Gearbox is off, clutch out, and flywheel removed.
We found the best way to remove the flywheel bolts was by chocking the flywheel with a wooden block against a clutch mount tab and using an electric torque gun on the bolts. We're cleaning the end of the engine before fitting the new seal. It's not leaking but it's been on there a long time through crazy heat cycles, and a new one comes in the overhaul kit.

Today has had its downs, but some good highs.
News on injector testing shows they're all functioning perfectly with one down about 1cc, and that's before cleaning   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:   not bad for 115K miles eh?

I'll post a summary when we're finished so you all can understand what your engines are likely to be needing at this kind of mileage. I can think of one or two friends who are maybe ignoring stuff that could come to bite them.

nathanMR2

Looking good. Be good to have an idea of the prox costs involved in this too Nic
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Wabbitkilla

Injectors are back, all cleaned and testing spot on.

New little ends have been collected and delivered to a very reputable company called Quasar Engineering in Stockport. Quasar do work for companies all over the country including Ferrari and Rolls Royce. It does mean a delay beyound the planned re-install day of Saturday though. Hopefully it will be worth the wait. A strongly worded letter will be winging it's way to the other company, and many thanks to RRG Denton for supplying the parts so quickly.

Cleaning the block has carried on today and we had a very welcome visit from FGrob, good to see you mate   s:D :D s:D  

We have also been working out the location of the new oil cooler and the length of the pipes, it should be quite neat.

FGrob

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Injectors are back, all cleaned and testing spot on.

New little ends have been collected and delivered to a very reputable company called Quasar Engineering in Stockport. Quasar do work for companies all over the country including Ferrari and Rolls Royce. It does mean a delay beyound the planned re-install day of Saturday though. Hopefully it will be worth the wait. A strongly worded letter will be winging it's way to the other company, and many thanks to RRG Denton for supplying the parts so quickly.

Cleaning the block has carried on today and we had a very welcome visit from FGrob, good to see you mate   s:D :D s:D  

We have also been working out the location of the new oil cooler and the length of the pipes, it should be quite neat.
Hi Nic.

It was a great bit of therapy to see both Ste and yourself - plenty of coffee as usual  s:D :D s:D  , the car is looking great and will give you another 100K once you've finished it, interesting point about the stem seals, puts a different light on the pre-cat issue and certainly one that needs also to be taken into account.

Guess what ------------  I ran the Spit tonight for the first time since Sept last year,   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  God I forgot how much the old engines stink on choke - had to change my cloths it was that bad   s:flame: :flame: s:flame:    s:flame: :flame: s:flame:  - but boy does it sound good with the twin pipes and it's certainly got some compression   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:    s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  

I'll post some pic's in my other thread now the engine bay is finished.  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D  

See ya soon.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Rob.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

Wabbitkilla

Cylinder head is back from soda blasting and valve cleaning, looking very nice.

Ready for valve lapping

Wabbitkilla

Intake valves lapped in

Exhaust valves lapped in

Oil cooler pipework is ordered with stainless fittings.  s:D :D s:D  

The casings are a bit too corroded to come up well with soda blasting so now they're this clean I'm going to paint them.

Wabbitkilla

Worked a little late tonight, we're in the putting things together stage now ... What a relief.
Still waiting on the little ends and conrods.

Valves and springs reinstalled in the head now.

If you're going to do this it's best to have two people working on it and a clean relaxed atmosphere, it takes some concentration to get the keepers to settle into place before relaxing the spring compressors.

Mike_V

Superb work Nic and Ste.
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

Wabbitkilla

Rocker cover painting is complete, accidentally custom style

Chain casing was rough but has taken the paint reasonably well

Oil cooler in the process of being fitted

I've replaced the drivers door mirror to boot, mine was scraped and cracked by idiots squeezing a vehicle past when took out the drivers wing a while back.

Wabbitkilla

Oil cooler in final position

Should get a bit of airflow

Two's Company

How does it cool the oil?

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "Two's Company"How does it cool the oil?

There is a sandwich plate goes between the engine and oil filter with a thermostat in it. At 80 degrees it opens and the oil is diverted through this cooler. The air flowing into the side intake does the rest.

Two's Company

Do you know how hot the oil has been running without it?

Wabbitkilla

Going by the smell when we took the head bolts out .... too warm   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Wabbitkilla

Stuck waiting for parts today, we gave the cylinders a light hone ready for installing the new pistons

Oil cooler pipes will be ready tomorrow from Pirtek.
Hoping conrods will be ready tomorrow from Quasar.
Will be picking up some shiny stainless bolts for the rocker cover and chain casing.

Will be nice putting things back together.  s:D :D s:D

E

Looking good   s8) 8) s8)

Wabbitkilla

Still waiting for the conrods to be ready, getting bored.

Heat protection added to cross-member

Heat protect for the bulkhead where the new oil cooler pipes will pass, sorry it's a bit blurry but you get the idea

Question, do I re-attach this label?

K T M Rider

Quote from: "Mike_V"Superb work Nic and Ste.

+1
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

Wabbitkilla

Finally the new little ends have been machined and ready, £150 but done properly this time.

Pistons are mow fitted.

Tomorrow is the day we start putting things back together  s:grin: :grin: s:grin:

Got a bunch of stainless bolts today for the rebuild.

Tags: